What's new

Ccr Sacd (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, what Ryan said. You should get every CCR album either on CD or SACD (a couple albums have not yet been announced on SACD).
NP: Creedence Clearwater Revival Green River 20-bit K2 CD (Quite the coincidence. :D)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
WOW CCR on SACD... thats the most compelling reason I have seen yet to get a Universal player.

This may be a dumb question but is there a layer on SACD's that i could play in a regular cd or DVD player? like there is with DVD-A?

If so i will be ordering my copy shortly

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This may be a dumb question but is there a layer on SACD's that i could play in a regular cd or DVD player? like there is with DVD-A?
Not a dumb question, seeing all Sony SACD are single layer only. However, you are in luck, these discs are Hybrids meaning they will play on a SACD as well as almost all coventional CD players. I think I am going to pick them up myself... even the CD layer should show some improvement seeing Hoffman did them.

J

John-Miles

Screenwriter
OOOO yippie :)
now i have a reason to get another disc i cant fully use yet...... guess this means it will HAVE to be a universal player for me.
Thanks Justin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Mike, the CCR albums, especially those two, are critical ownership IMO. They are very solid. Green River and Bayou Country are also great.

My ordering would be:
Cosmo's Factory
Green River
Willy
Bayou
CCR
Pendulum

I don't have Mardi Gras. Never bothered with Chronicles since the albums are so solid.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I listened to a bit of Willy last night before having to run out for the evening.

The packaging is good -- the "Super Jewel Case" box is used. The disc itself is patterned after the original blue "Full Radial Stereo" label on the old Fantasy LP. The booklet contains the same liner notes from the K2 reissues, plus new mastering credits of course.

Compared to the K2, the SACD is "warmer" and more natural-sounding -- the K2 is somewhat brighter and more "in your face." The K2 makes more of an impression right off the bat, but the SACD is easier to listen to and sounds better the louder you crank it (the opposite of the K2). "Fortunate Son" really cooks on the SACD.

It's no one's idea of a sonic masterpiece, but (not having heard the DCC gold disc) the best I've ever heard this stuff on a little shiny disc.

Haven't had a chance to sample Cosmo's yet, but word on the Hoffman board so far is that Willy is the better-sounding of the two, which is no surprise.

Ryan

TomCW

Second Unit
Keith, sorry I'm so slow with the review I promised, been away at work and the grandkids are coming for a stay this week-end. I've listened to the SACD layer of Cosmo's a couple of times, casually, and it sounds pretty good for such an old recording. I haven't found time to listen to the CD layer yet. Still, I think this sounds as good as my memory of CCR playing in the 8-track of my friend's '65 Mustang!:)
Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan said:
Compared to the K2, the SACD is "warmer" and more natural-sounding -- the K2 is somewhat brighter and more "in your face." The K2 makes more of an impression right off the bat, but the SACD is easier to listen to and sounds better the louder you crank it (the opposite of the K2). "Fortunate Son" really cooks on the SACD.
I appreciate your sharing this comparison because I have just completed my collection of K2 remastered CDs (well, I'm actually waiting for The Concert and Mardi Gras to arrive by mail). The SACDs are next on the wantlist. I feel the K2 CDs sound quite good, but I am very eager to hear the SACDs.
Tom,
No problem. I understand. Hopefully the SACDs are as good as those old 8-tracks. ;)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Keith,

IMHO, both the K2 and the SACD are big upgrades over the original standard-issue Fantasy discs. I was very impressed with the K2s (Cosmo's and Willy) when I first picked them up. I was going to get the rest when I heard about the SACDs, so I held off in favor of those, since I like Steve Hoffman's mastering style.

From what little I've sampled, picking between the K2 and the SACD is more a matter of taste than actual sound quality. They're both good quality discs, I just like the SACD's approach better.

Ryan

TomCW

Second Unit
Keith-
Although I have no experience at this, here's the review of Cosmos Factory, as promised.
I listened to the The SACD layer on my Sony DVP NS500V and the CD layer on my CDP CA70ES, utilizing it's analog output. I think the 500V is lacking in CD playback quality.
I wish I had two copies of this disc so that I could A/B the CD to the SACD layers, eliminating the obvious time lags and disc swaps.
Both layers sound very good. Steve Hoffman did a great job. The CD layer is more 'in your face' than the SACD layer, which sounds more 'laid back'. SACD's improved high end also helped on the transients, making for a little more realism on the cymbals, handclaps, etc.
Bass was full and rich on both layers.
I don't have the K2 version, but I did listen briefly to matching cuts on the 'Chronicle' CD (mastered by Gary Hobish), and it sounded dead and lifeless. I’ll probably never be able to listen to 'Chronicle’ again. Thanks, Keith!:)
Tom

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Both of these discs are great in all aspects (though I haven't listened to the cd layers yet). The blue label looks extra nice too. My plan is to get the rest and enjoy em'.

Anyone notice the Wrangler jeans commercial using Fortunate Son?

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that commercial is hilarious. Takes one line totally out of context and makes the song sound like a patriotic flag-waving anthem. (I ranted about this some more in the "protest song" thread.) What better way to announce to the world, "We don't know anything at all about this song, but hey, it was on the Forrest Gump soundtrack so we guess people like it and will buy blue jeans if they hear it."

Just as bad as when Chrysler wanted to use "Born In The USA" to sell mini-vans. Or the cruise line commercials with Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life." (What, do they serve smack on board?)

Ryan

KrisM

Second Unit
I haven't seen the commercial yet but there was article in the paper this weekend and John Fogerty was suuuper-pissed off about it.

Regards
KrisM

KrisM

Second Unit
I read in The Edmonton Journal on saturday. It was written by Bob Baker of The Los Angeles Times. Hope this helps. I don't know if it is online or not.

KrisM

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan said:

From what little I've sampled, picking between the K2 and the SACD is more a matter of taste than actual sound quality. They're both good quality discs, I just like the SACD's approach better.
Interesting. I have just about completed my collection of CCR K2 CDs. I'm just waiting for Mardi Gras. These discs sound great in my opinion. Much better than the original Fantasy CDs. I love CCR and look forward to adding the SACDs and comparing the CD and SACD layers to the K2 CDs (and my DCC gold CD of Pendulum).

Tom,

Thanks for the comments. I know that it is hard to compare CD and SACD when using two players, but I know what you mean about CD sounding more "in your face" relative to SACD. In any event, those original Fantasy CDs are pretty poor. I keep them for posterity. As for Chronicle, there is a gold CD out there. I've seen it at Best Buy and Circuit City for around $28. There is also a good CD of Chronicle, Vol. 2. I wonder if these gold discs sound better than the standard versions.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
From the article:

Craig Errington, director of advertising for Wrangler's parent corporation, North Carolina-based VF Jeanswear, said the company was initially drawn to "the energetic, uplifting sound and beat ... that makes you turn your head back to the TV." He said the company studied the lyrics and concluded that "Fortunate Son" was not merely an anti-war song but "more an ode to the common man.... The common man is who we have been directing Wrangler toward."
You ever want to slap somebody? I mean, really hard?

Ryan

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
John Fogerty said,
"I happened to be on tour in a hotel room somewhere in America the first time I heard the Beatles' 'Revolution' used in a Nike commercial" in 1987, the result of the group's having lost the rights to the song.

"The trash can they provide in my room clanged against a wall. That was my reaction to that then -- they're stealing something from me.... All my emotions welled up then at another nail in the coffin of the ideals of the '60s.
Funny, because at that same moment in 1987 I was watching that commercial after school and thought "That song ROCKS! I wonder who plays that?" and by 1989 I had all the Beatles albums on tape (and later on CD).

It works both ways. Kids are unaware of politics or sentiments, but they can learn through the music.

-JNS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks