CC Protection Plans

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chris_cwatts, Sep 20, 2003.

1. chris_cwatts

chris_cwatts Auditioning

Question regarding protection plans. I typically nix those plans, and opt to go with the warrenty alone. Primarily because I am of the mind this is simple added revenue for the retailer in a tight competitive market. Ant at a price, near 20% of the total cost of the product what is the point. A 2499 hitachi has a 4 year plan that costs 500? What is that!

What say yee?

2. chris_cwatts

chris_cwatts Auditioning

I searched around and find that most have the same concept I have, that extended warranties are the retailers benefit alone. So I will keep my hard earned 500 and buy something else with that money.

Chris

3. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

That protection plan seems crazy.
    At the best buy stores here, they are price banded but seem to stay around the 15% or less of the TV price for 5 years and at that, they pay for themselves very quickly if ANYTHING goes wrong.
    But you are right, it is added revenue for the retailer... but can also have a benefit to you since repairs cost them a lot less to perform under these plans than what they would cost you to have done...so the benefit could lye on both sides

4. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

You'll regret not getting it. You never know when your tv's a dud, and I work at Circuit City so you have no idea how many people bring in top of the line TV's and get turned away for service, because they didn't opt for the service plan. It's not necessarily a "service" plan, but more or less a "guarantee".

If you get the 4 year plan, and you buy a 54" Projection TV, and that TV "suddenly" dies out 3 years and 364 days after you bought it, then they will look at it, decide if it's fixable, if it's not, they'll either replace it with the exact model, (which will be very hard to do 4 years down the line) or they will credit you 100% of how much the TV cost you so you can snag a brand new one.

I'm an employee and even the things I buy, I pay the extra cash to get the ESP. Sometimes the Protection Plan ends up costing close to 60% of what the cost of my product is, (because of my discount), and I still buy it, because I KNOW it is worth it.

5. JoshuaT

JoshuaT Stunt Coordinator

CC's ESP is pretty high... BB's PSP is a more fair price. They are both worth it the fist time someone comes out to the house to fix your set!

Is the CC ESP in home, I know the Best Buy one is, cuz I had to use it on my Mitsu!

Ever had to pay a repairman to come to the house or come and pickup your sick baby? Stinks, BIG time! $100 just to come out and tell me what's wrong, then another 100 to come back out and fix it PLUS PARTS! I'll take my 300 PSP anyday.

~josh

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    As quickly as the prices are falling on this technology I think you'd be better off putting that $500 in a savings account. Even if the set dies three years from now that $500 will probably go half way to replacing it with a high def plasma unit.