What's new

CC Onkyo 696 pricing error. Who took advantage and did you keep it? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy West

Auditioning
I was curious to know just how many forum members took advantage of the CC pricing goof on the Onkyo 696.
Did you purchase just to demo the receiver?
Was this the receiver you actually wanted to purchase anyway?
Did you/will you return the receiver?
Was this due to your own personal tastes or the recent threads regarding the 696's power output.
I don't work at CC or a marketing company, I'm just curious as I did take advantage just to demo the unit with the thought that I'm getting a bargain if I liked it. However, I have not yet had the opportunity to unpack the thing but I do have 30 days.
Jeremy

RodC

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
I jumped at the opportunity to save $250 on this model as it has been one AVR I have been considering for some time. I did start having second thoughts when the S&V reveiw reared it's ugly head but have been trying not to get too caught up in it. I'm quite nw to this, and most of the concerns are over my head.
Will I return the receiver? That is yet to be determined as I have not unboxed mine yet either. I suspect that it will do just fine given my setup, so if I return it, it will be more likely as a matter of taste.
There's always ebay, which could mean perhaps even a small profit for our troubles. :)
I see Circuit City finally caught on. It is now listed at the $799 price tag on their website.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I also picked one up. Since my Sony is out of commission with my old Denon performing backup duties I needed a quick fix. DTS capability(again), DPL2, 2nd Zone, and the Onkyo name at that price was irresistable.
I like the ergonomics of the Onkyo but not sure if this receiver is right for SACD. Seems like I lost something thru the analog ins.
I don't suspect I could get rich selling an open box unit on ebay, so will just return it if it doesn't satisfy my needs. Although I think it will be hard to give up at the price I paid.

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
I also took the "hook". I have opened the box but have not unpacked the unit yet. I do have to say that all of the slamming on the power output had me down, but come on' this is an $800 unit and we paid $549 for it! I seriously doubt you would touch another unit with these features for anywhere around that price. I will most likely keep mine because I just don't think I need anything more. Besides it seems that deception is here to stay in the consumer markets of today, so what are we really buying?
confused.gif

My .02
Casey H

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
How any of you can keep that monster in the box is beyond me! After reading S & V's review, I had to hear it ASAP. Since I bought it last week, I have NO regrets. The features alone are great, but the performance is definitely worth the cost, at 549 or at 799. I have fairly inefficient main towers with 2 6" drivers that it pushed with no hesitation. I had some friends over this weekend for some demo's and one said they thought it was better than the local theater - I had to just smile, KNOWING it can sound better. I had a Pixar marathon with my son last night (Bug's Life, Toy Story 1 and 2), then we watched The Emperor's New Groove (in DTS) and afterward, when I went to turn it off, it was only slightly warm. I wasn't running them at reference, but approaching it. The remote is a totally awesome backlit model, and that helps me with WAF, along with the better sound for the movies that she likes.
Overall, I have to say it delivers. S & V could have rated it at 20 watts, and I could care less right now. I have a 2 year warranty and I'm happy. BTW- in one of the Onkyo bashing threads, which is what many of them are, someone made mention that this unit only had a damping factor of 60 and that an audio friend of that person recommended 150. I've researched all the Onkyo units on its website, including the heralded 989, and they all have 60. I haven't had a chance to look at Denon or Yamaha,etc, because I've been to busy watching movies and putting any hesitations to rest.
PS - Did you guys know that there is a THX Surround EX test signal on Toy Story 2? I didn't...
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I intended to get the 595 this August.
I bought the 696 (I can't afford to not save that much money :))
I really like it.
I'm keeping it.

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Well I didn't get it for $549 but I got it for $699.
They matched the price that ABT Electronics was selling it for. I hate to buy from Circuit City but the were closer than ABT.
Any way, I love it it has more than enough power to run my 86 sensitivity 6 ohm Dynaudio Audience 122's. :)
Jake T

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
I failed to mention that the reason I have not removed it from the box is because we just moved into the new (old) house and I am in a complete state of disarray. I am not new to audio per say but am to HT. I have an old pair of Infinity SM152's that I plan on hooking up first thing. In case your not aware it is an older Infinity tower pair with a 15" driver used for some serious head banging! Anyone have any suggestions on what to pair up with these giants? Or should I be starting from scratch with the speaker setup? Please advise!
Thanks,
Casey H

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Casey,
If your current Infinitys are good, you may want to keep them to use as your "B" speakers and build a separate HT system. Easier to match all five speakers and you will also need to add a sub.

David Head

Second Unit
I got mine Friday for $549 and LOVE IT! I am not seeing any of the "power issues" that are being discussed. I'm able to get reference level without even driving the 696 very hard (my speakers are pretty efficient - 92 db). This is definitely a keeper!
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks