What's new

CBS wants your input on widescreen broadcast of sports (OSU-MSU)... (1 Viewer)

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
I was flipping channels and notice this as well. I'm not a fan of college basketball but it did look pretty good.
Off to vote. Good job CBS! :emoji_thumbsup:
Mike

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I've been watching the HD feed but I did notice that the SD broadcast doesn't suffer from the usual edge enhancement that plagues SD(and FOX Widescreen) sports.

That makes the image much more pleasing. Especially on larger screens...

This isn't just about HDTV. This is also your way to support widescreen.

It would have been nice if there had been a blurb about "this is what your picture will look like when everything is broadcast digital 16/9 and you use a converter box on non-16/9 TVs."

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I personally think it looks fantastic letterboxed in SD. (Our CBS station here in OKC continues to drag their feet regarding HD and of course will not sign a waiver for me to get it elsewhere. So I wait patiently.) I was just so happy to see CBS trying letterboxed and informing people about HD. Everyone needs to vote! (Preferably saying they like it of course) The sooner we accelerate the transition to 16:9 HD the better. (BTW, The NHL is awesome in HD. It may be the perfect sport for the format) The more widescreen sets there are the less demand there will be for 4:3 Pan and Scan garbage DVDs. People will start complaining about the black bars on the sides of the screen. It will be a refreshing change. Please vote now.

PLEASE PLEASE email CBS and tell them how AWESOME that game looked!! I emailed them and begged them to continue to broadcast in HD and to consider the upcoming baseball season for HD braodcasts....here is the link to email CBS.....we need to let them know us HDTV'ers are out there and watching!!!!!
http://www.sportsline.com/u/helpcenter/contactus.htm
Brian in Tacoma, WA

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I watched the game in HD, and flipped to the letterboxed SDTV version occasionally.

To be brutally honest, if I didn't have an HD set, I'd rather see all sports broadcast in 4:3 (but without edge enhancement).

But, I fibbed on the poll and said I thought the letterboxed version looks better than the regular broadcasts.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Michael, I truthfully, don't see them dropping the EE on standard broadcasts...

The only beef I had with the SD broadcast was the score was a TEENY bit small compared to the rest of the telecast.

But by voting for the WS broadcast, you help get the widescreen mentality more ammunition...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Gave it thumbs up across the board. Not a fan of college hoops, but I'll do my part to help further the cause.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks