What's new

CBS TV Releases for February 2017 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dynasty: The First Season DVD
Street Date: February 7

The first season of Dynasty, the powerhouse primetime 80s soap opera, begins with oil tycoon Blake Carrington marrying his former secretary, Krystle. Krystle's former lover, Matthew, returns to town and causes more problems when he tells Krystle that he's still in love with her. Blake's daughter Fallon does not support his marriage, and chooses to marry childhood friend Jeff Colby just for her father's benefit.

Penny Dreadful: The Complete Series DVD & Blu-ray
Street Date: February 14

Some of literature’s most terrifying characters, including Dr. Frankenstein and his monster, Dorian Gray, and iconic figures from the novel Dracula are lurking in the darkest corners of Victorian London. They are joined by a core of original characters in a complex, frightening new narrative, where personal demons from the past can be stronger than vampires, evil spirits and immortal beasts. Relive every chilling episode of Showtime’s Penny Dreadful if you dare – available in a complete series set on BD and DVD for the first time!

Sabrina Down Under DVD

Sabrina the Teenage Witch heads to Australia in this feature length TV movie! Sabrina aspires to learn about marine biology; when she discovers that the island's marine mammals are falling ill, including a handsome merman and his mermaid sister, she takes up an ecological cause on behalf of all of the inhabitants of the sea.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Series DVD

Spinning off from the wildly successful Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine took the Trek universe to darker, deeper places than before.

Twilight Zone: The Complete 80s Series DVD

Travel into the fifth dimension once again with THE TWILIGHT ZONE, testing the limits of reality and exploring the mysteries of the universe. Airing from 1985 to 1989, this critically acclaimed anthology series carried on the legacy of the original Rod Serling program and attracted a brand new audience of fans. The series features major stars – including Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Martin Landau and many more! — in compelling tales of intrigue by such noted writers as Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, Arthur C. Clarke and Theodore Sturgeon. This collection contains all 3 seasons (65 episodes) from the classic '80s TV series.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Dynasty: The First Season DVD

The first season of Dynasty, the powerhouse primetime 80s soap opera, begins with oil tycoon Blake Carrington marrying his former secretary, Krystle. Krystle's former lover, Matthew, returns to town and causes more problems when he tells Krystle that he's still in love with her. Blake's daughter Fallon does not support his marriage, and chooses to marry childhood friend Jeff Colby just for her father's benefit.

This new first-season release of Dynasty that's coming in Feb. 2017-- will it be a four-disc single-sided release, unlike the original four-disc double release from Fox?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This new first-season release of Dynasty that's coming in Feb. 2017-- will it be a four-disc single-sided release, unlike the original four-disc double release from Fox?

The question is whether the season 1 episodes have been redone in HD. (The CBS syndication bible has not been updated recently for Dynasty).

If season 1 was redone in HD, then most likely CBS/Paramount will author a new set of season 1 dvds. (IIRC, the picture quality wasn't very good on the original Fox version of season 1).

If season 1 has not been redone in HD, then it is anyone's guess what the new season 1 set will consist of. CBS/Paramount has not done any double-sided flipper discs for their tv show season sets.

Regardless of whether season 1 has been redone in HD or not, my guess is this new season 1 release is probably a "prelude" for a region1 complete series dvd set for Dynasty. Whether CBS is willing to include the post-series tv movies in such a complete series set, is another matter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More generally, my guess is CBS/Paramount probably doesn't want to be dealing with the headaches (ie. licensing, etc ...) of somebody else's sloppy seconds (ie. Fox). Easiest way of not being beholden to Fox for season 1, is for CBS/Paramount to author their own new version of season 1.

(Wonder if CBS/Paramount did this for their own recent re-releases of the original Twilight Zone).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Recently I thought about ordering the region2 UK version of the Dynasty complete series set.

But if this new CBS/Paramount re-release of season 1 is a possible prelude to a region1 american version of a Dynasty complete series set, then I mind as well wait slightly longer.

(Also hoping a region1 american Dynasty complete series set might include the post-series movies).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One recent precedent of CBS/Paramount including previously unreleased post-series movies in these recent low-budget complete series sets, is Walker Texas Ranger. (The 2005 tv movie "Trial By Fire" wasn't released in region1 until 2015 in the complete series set).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
(Also hoping a region1 american Dynasty complete series set might include the post-series movies).

The redone CBS lot release of MacGyver included the 1994 movies, so I don't see why this possible Dynasty lot (if one happens) shouldn't include The Reunion of 1991.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
So, I guess the re-release of DS9 on DVD means no chance for a bluray release?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
So, I guess the re-release of DS9 on DVD means no chance for a bluray release?

Not necessarily.

IIRC, the TNG dvd season sets were all re-released around the time when the TNG blurays were being released. (During the 2013 time period).

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Count me in for DS9 and 80s Twilight Zone. The Image set for 80s Twilight Zone has been out of stock on Amazon for quite some time now, so I'm glad to see it getting a re-release. I'm also hoping a complete series set for Star Trek Voyager will be released soon as well.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Dynasty. CBS has never done a complete series release of any show that didn't have all its individual seasons released first. So a complete series release of Dynasty anytime soon is extremely unlikely

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Regarding Dynasty. CBS has never done a complete series release of any show that didn't have all its individual seasons released first. So a complete series release of Dynasty anytime soon is extremely unlikely

Seasons 2 to 9 have all been released already by CBS/Paramount. (The final season 9 was released in 2014).

How much longer a complete series is released after CBS/Paramount re-releases season 1 this coming February, remains to be seen.

The only recent precedents I can think of offhand for CBS/Paramount releasing a complete series set shortly after all the seasons sets have already been released, are "Hot In Cleveland" and "Legend of Korra".

For "Hot In Cleveland", both the final season and the complete series dvd sets were released on the same day (April 26, 2016).

In the case of "Legend of Korra", the final season was released on March 10, 2015. The complete series set is being released in two weeks on December 13, 2016.

Other recent long running CBS/Paramount shows which just had their final seasons released, but do not have complete series sets released yet:

House of Lies - final season 5 released on November 29, 2016
The Good Wife - final season 7 released on September 20, 2016

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
CBS has never done a complete series release of any show that didn't have all its individual seasons released first.

There is one counterexample where your assertion ^ is false. :)

The complete series dvd set of Key & Peele was released by Paramount on August 2, 2016, which had all five seasons of the show.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Key-Peele-The-Complete-Series/22270

Previously Comedy Central Paramount only released the first three seasons on dvd and bluray.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It appears when a complete series is released by Paramount, is largely semi-random. No definite pattern.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
disappointing to say the least. 0 classic TV. Where's Bonanza, Gunsmoke and Beverly Hillbillies among many others.

Agreed...once again I think CBS/Paramount is now taking the easy way out and only releasing newer shows that need little if any, restorative work.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It appears when a complete series is released by Paramount, is largely semi-random. No definite pattern.
That's 1 show out of 150 . CBS definitely has always had a pattern of all complete series being released after. The individual seasons are expensive to remaster so they need individual season releases to pay for that. If they don't sell then they stop.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That's 1 show out of 150 . CBS definitely has always had a pattern of all complete series being released after. The individual seasons are expensive to remaster so they need individual season releases to pay for that. If they don't sell then they stop.

I should have been more clear.

The semi-random part is how long it takes for an official complete series set to appear, after all (or most) of the individual season sets have been released.

There's lots of CBS/Paramount shows which have not been officially released as complete series sets yet, but which had all of the individual season sets released. For example: Numb3rs, 7th Heaven, CSI Miami, CSI NY, CSI, etc ...

(What I mean by official complete series set, is NOT those "complete series" sets where it is just all the previous individual season sets wrapped up all together in shrinkwrap and masking tape, like the current CSI franchise ones).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

I strongly suspect the timing of when Paramount releases an official complete series set for a particular show, might very well have to do with how much old inventory is still left over and whether Paramount is willing to write it off. (ie. Becoming dump bin fodder).

Over the past several years of Paramount releasing these low-budget complete series sets, anecdotally I have noticed many of these corresponding shows' previous season sets ending up as dump bin fodder at local discount stores in large quantities. (For example, stuff like: Charmed, Taxi, Cheers, Frasier, The Fugitive, Matlock, Walker Texas Ranger, etc ...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks