CBS Threatens to Stop HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gregstaten, Dec 12, 2002.

1. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Looks like the rights-management showdown is beginning. Faced with a hostile reaction to the broadcast industry's preferred copy-protection method, Viacom Inc.-owned CBS is threatening to cease all high-definition programming during the 2003-2004 season.
    The complete story is available via Broadcasting and Cable magazine's web site. Note: articles are not available without a paid subscription.
    CBS Threatens to Stop HDTV
    The gist of the article is that CBS says that if the consumer electronics *and* computer industries don't agree to full support of the "broadcast flag" -- which can prevent copying of a program even by a PVR -- they will stop broadcasting anything in HDTV.
    -greg

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Whatever. Is anyone else ready to say "Screw it, I'll stick with analog"? Greed rules the world.

3. Michael St. Clair

I'd rather have no HD at all than HD with restricted timeshifting. I can't support that precedent.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

What's preventing them from prohibiting time-shifting of 480p material too? I am willing to guarantee that they'll put a "no time-shifting" flag on all digital material if they can, whether it's HD or not.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I see no point to HDTV as long as they still have the onscreen logos- CBS had more class when they were black and white!

7. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

If it's a choice between 1080i on DVI only (downres on component out) and nothing at all, right I'd prefer nothing at all.
    Of course, my righteous anger will vanish whenever I get a DVI-capable set in the future. [​IMG]
    Ryan

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The Digital Dark Age is coming.

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>I see no point to HDTV as long as they still have the onscreen logos->
    Agreed. Remember when in 1997, logos where on for 4 seconds flat? If they are so important, why not brand your commercials with them? I'm sure the advertizers wouldn't mind [​IMG]..
    That's why one of these days, I'll have to check out that Logo Free TV Site wich basically tries to eliminate these bugs.
    Sigh... if only we could work out a TV system run by fans of TV shows, for TV Shows, so we can get the best quality possible. It'll probably be run into the ground within 3 weeks due to infighting, but it would be fun [​IMG].

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

http://www.logofreetv-usa.com/
    Vastly improved picture means nothing if it has graffiti on it, just like vastly improved sound would mean nothing if they inserted background noise.

13. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Forgive me for being out of the loop on this topic, but are you saying that CBS, for example, want to prevent people from taping HDTV shows? Don't they realize that many people tape shows now and wouldn't otherwise watch them? When all TV becomes HDTV my viewing then will plummet if I'm not allowed to tape things - which is how I watch most shows.

14. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Add this to the already extemly long laundry list of how not to launch a new format.

-- Matt

15. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

16. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Although I have DVHS, I currently cannot record in HDTV. I would hope it would be allowed though.

Legally, it should be an option, so long as you don't go selling your tapes. Why should HDTV be different from traditional broadcast legally?

Currently I time shift standard definition and buy some of the SAME shows on DVD, because I want them and want to support what I like. Should I be punished?

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Should I be punished?>

As long as advertising is a part of the TV buisness, yep. Another stupid thought, is that they might not allow recording or time shifting, just to get you to watch the commercials. With VCR's and Tivo's, it's very easy, thankfully, to get past these annoyances..

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Plus, they would LOVE to get rid of all tim-shifting, because they know that people skip the ads when watching recorded material. Just look at the controversy over ReplayTV and their ad-skip feature.

Digital TV once seemed promising, but now I'm willing to skip the whole thing, because ultimately we the viewers will lose out. We MIGHT get a better picture (although I think that Fox's 480p will be the standard for the others too, since that gives them more bandwith to devote to shopping and "interactive" stuff), but we'll be paying monthly fees for stuff that used to be "free" or at least much cheaper, be forced to watch more ads and won't be able to record shows.

Maybe I'm way too pessimistic, but that's how I see it.

19. Michael St. Clair

On some forums there is speculation that congress could force CBS to broadcast in HD. Remember, only DTV is mandated...CBS can digitally broadcast everything in 4:3 480i and meet all existing and future mandates. 'HD' was sold out a long time ago.

And again, I say let CBS drop HD. When time-shiftable HD becomes standard, they'll come crawling back.

And HD time-shifting is not really in the future, it is basically here now. Scientific Atlanta HD PVR settop boxes are being beta tested in Orlando as we speak, and DISH has an HD PVR receiver shipping in the spring.

20. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor