What's new

CBS Syndication Bible Updated Today (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Eastmancolor said:
CBS is actually scanning the 35mm original camera negatives for many of their classic shows, including GUNSMOKE, OUR MISS BROOKS, PETTICOAT JUNCTION and others.

35mm prints are rarely used by anyone, primarily because so few exist. Those that do exist of color shows are likely faded. And making new prints would cost more than scanning the original negative in HD.

Many of the low-rent distributors do use 16mm prints for their transfers though.
Interesting. I've always wondered how they do it. I don't want to derail the thread but can you expound on how the process is done? I have software on my computer to restore music and it's always piqued my attention how they do film.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
AndyMcKinney said:
I guess the "new vampire" stuff is probably shows from The CW (Vampire Diaries or The Originals). The "country music stuff" might be the "new" Nashville Network digital sub-channel I've heard was coming.

Sounds like your local affiliate is spreading way too many affiliations over one digital sub-channel.
Aren't these channels supposed to have three or four digital sub-channels?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sky Captain said:
Aren't these channels supposed to have three or four digital sub-channels?
I always thought so however it isn't the case. For starters, what I get on Directv isn't really a "sub-channel." KFVS-12 does run a sub-channel with ME-TV but there are two separate stations rebroadcasting. We get one of the rebroadcast stations and while it's mainly ME-TV stuff, it's a hodge-podge of different things.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tooncy said:
Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction were definitely remastered from 35mm. Look at the details, the color. I never thought they could look this good. You can clearly see that the "curtains" in the Hillbillies mansion are partially made of cardboard!
Same here. I expected something along the lines of the syndicated versions but slightly "sharper." CBS completely bowled me over with this one!
Gary OS said:
#2. Mark it down as a definite.

Gary "I just hope we get more seasons of each - regardless of how it's distributed" O.
I hope you're right, Gary!

Tooncy

Second Unit
A lot of the low-rent distributors do worse than that. Many times, they just use VHS tapes of 16mm prints. I think there is plenty of 35mm source material for a lot of shows, and most of them were probably Kodachrome. It's just a lot more labor intensive, and obviously more expensive.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
A lot of the low-rent distributors do worse than that. Many times, they just use VHS tapes of 16mm prints. I think there is plenty of 35mm source material for a lot of shows, and most of them were probably Kodachrome. It's just a lot more labor intensive, and obviously more expensive.
You mean The Cisco Kid and Judge Roy Bean. both shot on 16mm Kodachrome?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I believe The Cisco Kid was shot on 16mm to start with, wasn't it?

Tooncy

Second Unit
Cisco might have been shot on 16mm. If it was, then it was almost certainly Kodachrome, which doesn't fade.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I have high expectations for the upcoming blu ray of the Classic HONEYMOONERS. On one of the cable news channels, they showed a clip (to make a "comical" point of some news event) and that clip was absolutely beautiful. It was razor sharp, perfect contrast with rich blacks. I am sure this clip was from the recent remastering. I can't wait.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Out of curiosity, how do things work when a season is remastered for stations airing that program?

MeTV for instance cycled back to season 3 of Petticoat Junction not terribly long after the DVD release and it was still the same tired old stuff that has been aired for decades rather than the new remasterings that the CBS syndication bible says is available.

Does MeTV have to pay extra now to gain access to those transfers? Or is it something CBS would automatically send out as an update when a network is paying to air a particular program?

And are there two sets of audio typically? Or will the Green Acres audio bits that were excised out of the DVD release also be replaced on future tv airings as well despite no previous issue over recent decades when it has aired on channels like TVLand and MeTV?

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Wouldn't it be great if DATE WITH THE ANGELS, starring Betty White and Bill Williams could be transferred onto HD for DVD release? It would be a fitting tribute to the 'ninetysomething' Betty White herself, and there could be all kinds of bonus features in a set like that.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
Wouldn't it be great if DATE WITH THE ANGELS, starring Betty White and Bill Williams could be transferred onto HD for DVD release? It would be a fitting tribute to the 'ninetysomething' Betty White herself, and there could be all kinds of bonus features in a set like that.
Once a show falls into P.D., no company is going to spend a lot of money on a release. For one thing, it won't sell because the vast majority of people out there couldn't care less about quality, only cost, and they'll buy a lousy looking release from Crapmart rather than spend a few dollars more for something that looks good. Secondly, there are too many unscrupulous companies out there that will just grab the good quality transfer and steal it to put it out themselves.

Tooncy

Second Unit
All too true. That's why the first season of The Beverly Hillbillies hasn't been transferred into HD. There never was a Season One set, and probably never will be.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Tooncy said:
All too true. That's why the first season of The Beverly Hillbillies hasn't been transferred into HD. There never was a Season One set, and probably never will be.
I think CBS will transfer it into HD at some point, but right now there is no incentive. However, I don't think they went to all this trouble with the other seasons if they didn't plan to syndicate it in HD and to do that it will require a season one in HD. Now they may wait until Blu-ray for a release to consumers.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I think CBS will transfer it into HD at some point, but right now there is no incentive. However, I don't think they went to all this trouble with the other seasons if they didn't plan to syndicate it in HD and to do that it will require a season one in HD. Now they may wait until Blu-ray for a release to consumers.
Have Gun. Will Travel seasons 1-3 hasn't been transferred onto HD yet, but eventually, it'll happen whenever CBS gets around to it.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I honestly feel that outside of Bonanza, Gunsmoke, the completion of Rawhide, and MAYBE more Happy Days, PJ, and Hillbillies that CBS is probably winding down the pre 80's stuff. We have heard about re-mastering of Miss Brooks and Chapparal, but that could mean nothing, so what realistically does that leave of the major shows in their library from the 70's back?

1) Cannon, Barnaby Jones, My Three Sons, Bilko, Hotel, and Matt Houston "appear" permanently stalled.

2) We have already been told we will see no more Love American Style

That leaves long shots. Love Boat? Colbys?

Did I miss something or do any of you have some other guesses?

Tooncy

Second Unit
I think they will continue with Happy Days, Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. If they completed Laverne and Shirley, then why not those? Certainly it doesn't have a bigger fan base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks