What's new

CBS Syndication Bible Updated Today (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
I found the update - and it's a H-U-G-E deal (at least in my book):

Our Miss Brooks Season One is being transferred into HD!!!!

Gary "not a guarantee of a dvd release, but great news nonetheless" O.
Even though ME-TV timespeeds 30 minute shows to 22:50, I'll still take it as all of my Our Miss Brooks are from old 16mm airings back in the 80s and as I recall most come in around 22 minutes. So, I agree, this is a HUGE deal for a show I never thought would see the light of day again. Another in that category, at least now is December Bride. Just got done running off around a hundred of them from old off-air recordings, but at least those are pretty complete.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
I'd really like to see Barbary Coast. Years ago, I caught that movie they made out of parts of it, and I really liked it.
Would be nice to see but if not I'm happy having the handful that ran on TV Land at least.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
John Karras said:
CBS's use of the term HD does not mean the High Definition spec that you are referring to. When they say"HD", they simply mean they are transferring from 35mm prints (as opposed to battered up old 16mm prints) to digital tape for broadcast distribution or possible DVD mastering.
Ah. Sounds like they should come up with some other term, then (like HQ/High Quality), as most people have a certain expectation of what HD means in relation to broadcast media.

If they were truly remastering to 1080 and using down-converted masters for broadcast, that would be understandable (some DVD releases come from HD masters). If they're transferring films to DigiBeta at a resolution of any less than 1080 (or 720), then the HD label shouldn't apply

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Is Barbary Coast the William Shatner series from years ago??? That may be interesting to see again....

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
John Karras said:
CBS's use of the term HD does not mean the High Definition spec that you are referring to. When they say"HD", they simply mean they are transferring from 35mm prints (as opposed to battered up old 16mm prints) to digital tape for broadcast distribution or possible DVD mastering.
Do you have a reference for this interpretation of what CBS is doing? Because my interpretation is completely different. I'm thinking they are remastering from 35mm to HD masters for future HD syndication, and then downconverting them for DVD distribution and current syndication.

My basis for this is as follows:

- The time it is taking for them to perform this remastering effort and that it would be completely shortsighted to do just an SD transfer when an HD transfer could be performed just as easily. Otherwise, why pull out the 35mm prints.

- They make no distinction between how they are treating other shows in the CBS syndication bible where they reference HD in comparison to Star Trek TNG, which we know is being transferred to HD masters, so if they were doing a different process why wouldn't it be noted.

- They've recently announced TAGS, I Love Lucy, and previously The Honeymooners for Blu-ray releases yet nothing has changed in the syndication bible to identify that they have gone through any additional manipulation, so it would stand to reason they already have the HD masters.

- Lastly, the quality of the prints we have on DVD. It has allows seemed to me that DVD's made for HD downconverts look better then SD direct transfers, at least if the source is up to the task, and many of the CBS DVD releases (e.g., Perry Mason, and Gunsmoke look this way to me).

So I hear what you are saying but it just doesn't make sense with my observations. Now I could be wrong because my opinion is based on observations and not on anything CBS has said directly, other than to take their word at face value in using the term HD properly. If this is your opinion then I would have to say I disagree, but if you have a reference to insider information from CBS I would be interested in seeing it.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
smithbrad said:
Do you have a reference for this interpretation of what CBS is doing? Because my interpretation is completely different. I'm thinking they are remastering from 35mm to HD masters for future HD syndication, and then downconverting them for DVD distribution and current syndication.
That was exactly what I had thought until I saw John's post. I really hope he's wrong about this. It makes no sense for anyone to re-master a 100% film series (shot/edited on film) in SD these days. Even if syndication isn't being planned, it's much better future-proofing.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I agree, these have been remastered for HD in 1080p and downres'd to SD 480p for DVD. The transfers being used for HAWAII FIVE-O on Netflix, and sold on Amazon and VUDU, in 1080p are the same transfers used on the DVDs, with the same minor defects and issues (with the exception of the Season 10 re-do). Same thing goes for TWIN PEAKS as well. The native 1080p resolution looks stunning, btw. These were definitely NOT upconverted.

Tooncy

Second Unit
Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction were definitely remastered from 35mm. Look at the details, the color. I never thought they could look this good. You can clearly see that the "curtains" in the Hillbillies mansion are partially made of cardboard!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The question now becomes, where do they go from now with these series. As far as I can see, there are four main possibilities.

1) Back to the shelf.

2) Widespread release.

3) MOD (not likely)

4) Something like an exclusive yearly holiday release at Wal - Mart.

The only good bet right now is that whatever they do, it won't be for a while, considering there is no indication they have remastered further sets at this point.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Frank Soyke said:
The question now becomes, where do they go from now with these series. As far as I can see, there are four main possibilities.

1) Back to the shelf.

2) Widespread release.

3) MOD (not likely)

4) Something like an exclusive yearly holiday release at Wal - Mart.

The only good bet right now is that whatever they do, it won't be for a while, considering there is no indication they have remastered further sets at this point.

#2. Mark it down as a definite.

Gary "I just hope we get more seasons of each - regardless of how it's distributed" O.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I haven't heard anything official yet pertaining to Gunsmoke Seasons 10 and 11 but someone on Amazon said they were being remastered for a 2014 release. Can anyone confirm this?

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Weren't Seasons 10 and 11 of Gunsmoke already remastered before Encore's Westerns channel started showing the b+w hour episodes several years ago?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Bob_S. said:
I haven't heard anything official yet pertaining to Gunsmoke Seasons 10 and 11 but someone on Amazon said they were being remastered for a 2014 release. Can anyone confirm this?
I did here a rumor of it, but scheduled for release around the last quarter of 2014.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
JMas said:
Weren't Seasons 10 and 11 of Gunsmoke already remastered before Encore's Westerns channel started showing the b+w hour episodes several years ago?
Based on the CBS syndication bible they weren't. They've been remastering around one to two seasons of the Gunsmoke b/w hour episodes to HD per year and releasing to DVD soon after. The Encore prints were decent but not as good as what has been coming out on DVD.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
JMas said:

Encore began showing those episodes for the first time in 2002. They air the same prints now. Those prints, while quite good, were made before the era of remastering in HD. An HD-remastering would make them look even better.

One can imagine how the color episodes would look after HD-remastering, if and when they ever get to those. Current prints on TVLand and other channels are pretty bad.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I will definately keep buying every Gunsmoke release. I am especially looking forward to seeing the color episodes uncut and remastered. When TVLand first showed them, they were uncut. Now everybody seems to show the syndicated versions that have been cut down to about 44 minutes. And yes, the prints are pretty bad.

I was disappointed that the Season 1 release of How The West Was Won was not remastered. I haven't heard anything about the remaining 2 seasons being released.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
CBS is actually scanning the 35mm original camera negatives for many of their classic shows, including GUNSMOKE, OUR MISS BROOKS, PETTICOAT JUNCTION and others.

35mm prints are rarely used by anyone, primarily because so few exist. Those that do exist of color shows are likely faded. And making new prints would cost more than scanning the original negative in HD.

Many of the low-rent distributors do use 16mm prints for their transfers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks