What's new

CBS Status Report (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Eric Huffstutler said:
Here's hoping that CBS will eventually release "One Step Beyond" seasons 2 and 3.
Bringing this back up. I can't figure out why they can't release these short series after giving us one season already? It is a shame and still have high hopes it will be completed. Has anyone heard if possibly it may go the VEI or Shout route?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing is, why would an independent label think they'd sell more with unremastered prints from CBS when so many are being sold PD already?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Jack P said:
The thing is, why would an independent label think they'd sell more with unremastered prints from CBS when so many are being sold PD already?
Not sure if you are addressing my comment? But not all of the episodes are on worn out PD tapes and they gave us Season 1 "official release" in pristine condition original film so hoping they can see their way to giving us a "complete" set of all 97 episodes (not just 50 that PD offers at the most). And it fills a niche for supernatural especially in an era of so many "reality shows" on paranormal and ghost shows so they have a current window of opportunity.

And why would they be un-remastered prints from CBS? I would think that these independent distributors would clean them up before distributing them.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
An independent distributor is *not* going to do a remastering job on episodes licensed out to them. Whether Shout, Timeless or VEI, they've never done that and have only taken what existing masters there already are. If you want to see the remaning seasons in as great a condition as S1 was, the only hope is if CBS will resume it themselves and release it themselves.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Jack P said:
An independent distributor is *not* going to do a remastering job on episodes licensed out to them. Whether Shout, Timeless or VEI, they've never done that and have only taken what existing masters there already are. If you want to see the remaning seasons in as great a condition as S1 was, the only hope is if CBS will resume it themselves and release it themselves.
I don't own the set but what did Shout do with "Leave it to Beaver"? Was it transferred "as is"?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes. They take what they get from the company that owns the elements as we've found out before with other releases.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
There's always the chance CBS may already have cleaned up some of the shows we still want here, only they haven't announced that they have been. Or may still be in the process of it. With CBS it seems, you just never know what they're up to. But whether remastered or not, these shows would make good choices for VEI or Shout in any case especially now if CBS themselves (as the rumor goes) are releasing less on standard DVD let alone MOD (when they ought to). It looks like the best we can hope for, is licensed stuff from now on unless they really surprise us one of these days.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Becker-Season-6/20599

Becker

I hope for Dynasty fans the two season of Colbys comes out which I believe it will along with more Falcon Crest and who knows more Knots Landing. People want all of these shows. Batman should teach us no show should never be thought to be lost forever.

I would buy Life With Lucy if CBS through the Spelling estate can get it if they own it,

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Mark Collins said:
I would buy Life With Lucy if CBS through the Spelling estate can get it if they own it,
I don't think Lucy's kids would want that dog of a show out for the world to see. It was a totally embarrassing end to her career.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Updated to reflect today's Bonanza announcement.

Continuing:
Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)
The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)
Happy Days (5 seasons)
Bonanza (6 seasons; 12 releases)
Gunsmoke (9 seasons; 18 releases)

Stalled:
Dave's World (1 season)
Cannon (2 seasons)
Caroline in the City (2 seasons)
One Step Beyond (2 seasons)
Matt Houston (2 seasons)
Early Edition (2 seasons)
Evening Shade (3 seasons)
Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons)
Sister, Sister (4 seasons)
Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases)
Moesha (5 seasons)
Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases)
The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases)
My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases)

Licensed:
Webster (2 seasons)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Also, has anyone heard anything about the last Perry Mason TV movies? They were flying out of the CBS vaults and then they stopped before the last set. They have the option of putting out another set of six, or if they think the ones without Raymond Burr wouldn't sell, they could just jump to the double-feature disc release for the last two Burr movies. But either way, it seems like a very abrupt stopping point.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Randy Korstick said:
Good news on Bonanza Season 8. After some speculation that they may stop at Season 7 this gives us hope that they will finish this series.

Hopefully Gunsmoke Season 12 will be announced soon.

I'm thrilled and relieved about this release. CBS/P does a great job with the quality of their Bonanza releases. Plus, this is the last of a three year run at #1 for this show.

If the later seasons are released we will receive more and more of the Lost Episodes; most of which I have not seen.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Unfortunately at this point, it seems like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Petticoat Junction and Beverly Hillibilies are the only shows CBS will continue to do anything with themselves.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Jack P said:
Unfortunately at this point, it seems like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Petticoat Junction and Beverly Hillibilies are the only shows CBS will continue to do anything with themselves.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct, except for maybe Happy Days.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, those five series seem to be the only ones with any life signs at CBS anymore, outside of currently airing shows. And even those five are on significantly slowed release schedules.

The MOD program occasionally offers a little hope, most recently with the completion of Becker, but they seem very reluctant to make it a serious part of their home video business. Licensing to independent companies seems the most likely way we have of getting any other older CBS properties now.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
FanCollector said:
Also, has anyone heard anything about the last Perry Mason TV movies? They were flying out of the CBS vaults and then they stopped before the last set. They have the option of putting out another set of six, or if they think the ones without Raymond Burr wouldn't sell, they could just jump to the double-feature disc release for the last two Burr movies. But either way, it seems like a very abrupt stopping point.

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. So close to the end, and not a word.

While obviously the 2 remaining Burr movies are most important, I'd hope they would also include the 4 made after Burr's death. The Paul Sorvino movie/episode was okay, but I particularly enjoyed the 2 I've seen that featured Hal Holbrook as a lawyer/friend of Perry. (Plus, I never saw his 3rd appearance, so I hope to finally have an opportunity to watch it.)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
FanCollector said:
Licensing to independent companies seems the most likely way we have of getting any other older CBS properties now.

Except CBS has done nominal licensing of the CBS/Paramount/Viacom/Spelling/Desilu TV Library.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks