What's new

CBS Series DVD's and possible Blu Revisits (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Ignoring the mess they made of the Green Acres background music in season 3 of Petticoat Junction (Why the geniuses didn't just substitute regular Petticoat Junction jingles in those moments instead of Heyes tunes, I'll always wonder), there's even a cut song in an early season 1 episode of Petticoat Junction.

But unlike how they excised the Green Acres stuff, this season 1 cut is such a seamless one that you'd never suspect anything was amiss if you didn't know the episode well (It's uncut on MPI's "Ultimate" release that had the first 2/3's or so of season 1 and on different streaming services like Tubi that carry those public domain episodes).

The one thing that the music situation in Petticoat Junction has in its favor I suppose are that a lot of the songs get repeated several times during the course of seasons 4-7. I assume that's easier and cheaper from a licensing perspective than if a different song was sang every single time someone like Mike Minor or Meredith MacRae sings.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Could there be some music clearance problems in the later seasons of The Hillbillies? I remember Roy Clark and Pat Boone guest starring in some episodes.
That's possible but those should be feasible since its only a few episodes in total. But Petticoat Junction has music clearance issues in the majority of episodes starting with season 4.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It’s been a while since CBS “shut down “ it’s TV division . So does anyone know if they have any plans at all to deal with their Television library other than issuing select shows on Blu-ray?

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
It’s been a while since CBS “shut down “ it’s TV division . So does anyone know if they have any plans at all to deal with their Television library other than issuing select shows on Blu-ray?
My guess is that we will just see more and more of these titles showing up streaming and for digital purchase in HD. I noticed several are already streaming on the Paramount+ Channel in HD. They may still release a few select ones on blu-ray.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
My guess is that we will just see more and more of these titles showing up streaming and for digital purchase in HD. I noticed several are already streaming on the Paramount+ Channel in HD. They may still release a few select ones on blu-ray.
Brad what shows at Paramount caught your attention?

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Odd couple looks great in HD , But I don't think they have all the episodes , Wish they would do blu-rays of that Happy days the early years and brady bunch . I guess they make so much money replaying them on every cable channel they probably don't care . Brady bunch and early happy days have to be some of the most popular tv shows ever created .

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Odd couple looks great in HD , But I don't think they have all the episodes , Wish they would do blu-rays of that Happy days the early years and brady bunch . I guess they make so much money replaying them on every cable channel they probably don't care . Brady bunch and early happy days have to be some of the most popular tv shows ever created .
More than that, what I want is for all of the inbetween bumpers and opening/closing teasers to be restored, which include but are not limited to:
a. "(name of show) will be right back/return in a moment."
b. closing tag
c. 30-second preview of next week's episode.

For example, the season 2 premiere episode of The Brady Bunch, "The Dropout," would have had the mid-show bumper announced by Barry Williams, since his character Greg is the main focus of the episode.

~Ben

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
More than that, what I want is for all of the inbetween bumpers and opening/closing teasers to be restored, which include but are not limited to:
a. "(name of show) will be right back/return in a moment."
b. closing tag
c. 30-second preview of next week's episode.

For example, the season 2 premiere episode of The Brady Bunch, "The Dropout," would have had the mid-show bumper announced by Barry Williams, since his character Greg is the main focus of the episode.

~Ben
That would be great , I'm just not that picky . I would take any of these shows just to be in glorious HD . I mean they were filmed and deserve to be restored if not all ready and let us buy them . I don't get why some of these companies don't want our money ? idk anymore it's 2022 and people who grew up on this stuff are not going to be around forever , Its now or never .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
That would be great , I'm just not that picky . I would take any of these shows just to be in glorious HD . I mean they were filmed and deserve to be restored if not all ready and let us buy them . I don't get why some of these companies don't want our money ? idk anymore it's 2022 and people who grew up on this stuff are not going to be around forever , Its now or never .
I agree with everything you said. It’d be nice to get any if these shows in HD even without the bells and whistles. Still it would be nice if the studios went to extra lengths to give us the best possible package for our re-purchase of these shows we love!
Then again, there are shows like Trackdown, Gray Ghost, People’s Choice Life If Riley I would be happy to get in any format!!
Meanwhile , where’s Seinfeld on Blu-ray?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm pretty sure if they felt there was a chance for them to recoup the costs to rerelease the series on Blu Ray, they'd do it. But, as you mentioned, the audience for these shows, not to mention the number of people who want them on physical media, shrinks every passing month. So smaller outfits like Mill Creek will grind them out on Blu but with too many episodes per disc, overly compressed with whatever prints the studios decide to hand over. Some shows turn out just fine (Airwolf, Knight Rider) while others get kicked in the metaphorical privates (I Dream of Jeannie).

Not to mention any series which has been absorbed by Disney, like the 20th Century Fox shows, will probably never see the light of day going forward.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Also keep in mind that the market for TV shows on blu-ray tend toward SF/fantasy. A lot of people figure that the increased resolution of blu-ray helps with shows with lots of SFX, and not so much for those without.

Same with movies. It's why the studios are licensing out their back catalog to boutique labels, or go the MOD route.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Also keep in mind that the market for TV shows on blu-ray tend toward SF/fantasy. A lot of people figure that the increased resolution of blu-ray helps with shows with lots of SFX, and not so much for those without.

Same with movies. It's why the studios are licensing out their back catalog to boutique labels, or go the MOD route.
I would think that for older SF shows with composite effects, HD harms rather than helps. The seams really show on Star Trek, for example. That's why they went to the trouble to create new effects, the originals didn't stand up to the unforgiving eye of high definition. Now, shows with mostly in-camera model work, like Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Space:1999 look incredible. But imagine how bad The Invaders saucer effects would look in HD.

Not really saying you're wrong, I do notice the majority of my BD series are SF shows. The UK seems to embrace HD for their adventure shows more than we do. The ITC series look absolutely fantastic in HD.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Brady bunch and early happy days have to be some of the most popular tv shows ever created .
That depends more on your age than anything else. I grew up in the fifties and sixties, so by the seventies, those two sitcoms seemed somewhat silly to me. Surely they were no worse than Gilligan or Hillbillies, as far as the silliness factor goes, but I've read that we all tend to gravitate to the shows, movies, and records that we liked when we were 14-15.

And that perfectly describes me, as I'd rather watch DICK VAN DYKE, TIME TUNNEL, ANDY GRIFFITH, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, THE FUGITIVE, THE INVADERS, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, STAR TREK - and pretty much anything that I was into in 1965, 1966, and 1967.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
There is certainly no shortage of great TV shows MIA on Blu-ray that require much love to ready them for a hi-def release.

From Paramount/CBS:
Frasier
Cheers
Laverne & Shirley
Happy Days
Dynasty
Dynasty II: The Colbys
Perry Mason
Matt Houston
The Love Boat
Fantasy Island
The Father Dowling Mysteries