What's new

CBS Series DVD's and possible Blu Revisits (1 Viewer)

RocketRobz

Grip
Real Name
Rojelio Reyes
I find it highly unlikely they lost 35mm prints of ANY of "The Brady Bunch" or anything from the Paramount Television Library. Site Source, please.
It's been a few years ago, so I forgot the source. Pretty sure it's not a reliable one either.

If that's the case though, I wonder why the HD versions aren't even available, considering it's as somewhat popular as Happy Days or Star Trek.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It's been a few years ago, so I forgot the source. Pretty sure it's not a reliable one either.

If that's the case though, I wonder why the HD versions aren't even available, considering it's as somewhat popular as Happy Days or Star Trek.
I do believe they should still have the 35mm prints and do believe they should remaster them for HD and 4K. But, I do know during the show's original run on ABC that it got mainly critical reviews and was never in the Top 30 (season 3 came closest, ranking at number 31, but you know what I mean).

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
To speak further of The Brady Bunch they do need to include the following on all 117 episodes, where applicable:
a. The IN COLOR intro. Seasons 1-2 do have this before the opening credits on the DVDs, but it is those for seasons 3-5 that are still missing. Seasons 3-5 had a different shot of the show's cast, now seen away from the stairs.
b. The mid-show bumper used between the final act and closing tag. Various versions exist across all 117 episodes; season 1 used a generic announcer, while seasons 2-5 used one of the show's nine leads as announcer depending on the episode. The shot of the show's cast was recycled from the opening bumper.
c. A short 30-second preview of the next week's episode between the closing tag and closing credits. Some season 1 episodes have this on the Columbia House VHS tapes.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Wouldn't the 1980s Twilight Zone (or at least some of the episodes) be in that group of "filmed on film, but edited on tape" series like Mission: Impossible '88 and Star Trek The Next Generation?

And all the prime serials of the 80s in their latter seasons (Dallas, Knots Landing, Dynasty and Falcon Crest).

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
To speak further of The Brady Bunch they do need to include the following on all 117 episodes, where applicable:
a. The IN COLOR intro. Seasons 1-2 do have this before the opening credits on the DVDs, but it is those for seasons 3-5 that are still missing. Seasons 3-5 had a different shot of the show's cast, now seen away from the stairs.
b. The mid-show bumper used between the final act and closing tag. Various versions exist across all 117 episodes; season 1 used a generic announcer, while seasons 2-5 used one of the show's nine leads as announcer depending on the episode. The shot of the show's cast was recycled from the opening bumper.
c. A short 30-second preview of the next week's episode between the closing tag and closing credits. Some season 1 episodes have this on the Columbia House VHS tapes.

~Ben
a) should definitely be included. c) is a maybe but it should be moved away from the episode itself and included as an extra on the episode it previewed (such as on the original Hawaii Five-0).

The problem is b). Most DVD producers don't want redundant items interrupting the flow of the episode. (We know the episode will return because there's no commercials to stop it.) Otherwise hour-long series would have their mid-episode bumpers included and I don't know of any that do*. I think there would be many complaints from consumers if these were included unless they were kept separate from the episodes as an extra. Personally I wouldn't mind hearing Jack Klugman or Tony Randall saying The Odd Couple would return as heard in the ABC and original syndication runs but that's just me and I don't produce DVDs.

*Obviously I don't mean the end of act 2 on series that ID the name such as Hawaii Five-0 and The Wild Wild West.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
a) should definitely be included. c) is a maybe but it should be moved away from the episode itself and included as an extra on the episode it previewed (such as on the original Hawaii Five-0).

The problem is b). Most DVD producers don't want redundant items interrupting the flow of the episode. (We know the episode will return because there's no commercials to stop it.) Otherwise hour-long series would have their mid-episode bumpers included and I don't know of any that do*. I think there would be many complaints from consumers if these were included unless they were kept separate from the episodes as an extra. Personally I wouldn't mind hearing Jack Klugman or Tony Randall saying The Odd Couple would return as heard in the ABC and original syndication runs but that's just me and I don't produce DVDs.

*Obviously I don't mean the end of act 2 on series that ID the name such as Hawaii Five-0 and The Wild Wild West.
You know, what you say about both b) and c) may also be the reason why certain similar mid-show bumpers and closing previews are also missing from many DVD releases of cartoon series (1970s-'80s Hanna-Barbera, for example). That was especially the case for such cartoons like The Perils of Penelope Pitstop since that series did not use a conventional next-week preview bumper but rather a "cliffhanger." I know Jonny Quest has its mid-show bumpers intact on the Blu-Ray re-release (just not the original commercials after the opening credits).

~Ben

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I do believe they should still have the 35mm prints and do believe they should remaster them for HD and 4K. But, I do know during the show's original run on ABC that it got mainly critical reviews and was never in the Top 30 (season 3 came closest, ranking at number 31, but you know what I mean).

~Ben

They had to use second-rate sources to reconstruct uncut episodes. It was better than the alternative, settling for cut episodes, if that was truly all there is. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, but even so I think they can probably narrow the gap between sources further with current technology.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
"Gilligan's Island" deserves a Blu Ray release. I can just imagine how brilliant the colors would look.
In case you didn't know, not only is it at amazon streaming with 1080p, but it's also on METV OTA at 1080p right NOW (sundays anyway). I didn't start recording it till S2E8, so I'm unclear whether they had the whole series done or not. Normally, you would expect so, but I was recording Happy Days in 720p, then it shifted to 1080p (broadcast signal anyway) and somewhere around S6 or S7 it went to the 480p look. And I can tell you, to be recording it, lose track of it, and then see it in 480p again, it hurts the eyes BAD.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
How does 480p hurt the eyes that bad?
You have to have experienced that situation I spoke of to know. One day you're recording 1080p, the next day 480p on the very same program - it's devastating. It's like putting on a pair of glasses that aren't right for you. Your eye has become accustomed to the 1080p. You switch the station to see a 480i for Have Gun Will Travel, and it doesn't bother you at all there, since it's always that way. I guess it's the reverse of somebody seeing something always in 480i or 480p, and suddenly it's in 1080p. The impact is more acute, I would imagine, if like me, you had no idea it was going to occur. I mean, you would think with Gilligan's Island seasons 2-3 done in 1080p, surely they did S1 one too, right? But to make it perhaps even worse, this was a "colorized" 480i they are doing for S1, and believe me, there's good 480p, and there's bad 480p, and that colorizing made it lose more clarity, if that's even possible, and it's definitely eyesore territory given the situation.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
You have to have experienced that situation I spoke of to know. One day you're recording 1080p, the next day 480p on the very same program - it's devastating. It's like putting on a pair of glasses that aren't right for you. Your eye has become accustomed to the 1080p. You switch the station to see a 480i for Have Gun Will Travel, and it doesn't bother you at all there, since it's always that way. I guess it's the reverse of somebody seeing something always in 480i or 480p, and suddenly it's in 1080p. The impact is more acute, I would imagine, if like me, you had no idea it was going to occur. I mean, you would think with Gilligan's Island seasons 2-3 done in 1080p, surely they did S1 one too, right? But to make it perhaps even worse, this was a "colorized" 480i they are doing for S1, and believe me, there's good 480p, and there's bad 480p, and that colorizing made it lose more clarity, if that's even possible, and it's definitely eyesore territory given the situation.

That explains it! I never knew picture quality could be screwed up that badly.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
That explains it! I never knew picture quality could be screwed up that badly.
Well I would say it's more of seeing the same program go from excellent 1080p, to suddenly 480i at the drop of a hat than anything else. I think most people would say GI first season looks pretty good in it's native resolution in b/w, but that colorizing just destroys it. So, IOW, while switching on the same program to go half resolution is bad enough, the colorizing just makes it worse. If I had seen the original b/w, it wouldn't has been so bad. And to think, I used to somewhat like that GI colorizing due to getting something of a glimpse into seeing what that season would like like in color, but this switch I did really more emphasized how much duller it makes the images look. Frankly, I've probably seen better looking 360p in real color.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Don’t forget Bonanza , My Three Sons, and Ben Casey.
Love Boat too.
Speaking of My Three Sons, I hope they will do the color years on CBS (1965-72), which consisted of 196 episodes and breaks down as:
Season 6 (1965-1966): 32 episodes
Season 7 (1966-1967): 32 episodes
Season 8 (1967-1968): 30 episodes (moved from Thursday to Saturday nights)
Season 9 (1968-1969): 28 episodes
Season 10 (1969-1970): 26 episodes
Season 11 (1970-1971): 24 episodes
Season 12 (1971-1972): 24 episodes (moved from Saturday to Monday nights, then back to Thursday nights in January 1972)

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I forgot to mention that Season 8 of My Three Sons (and also season 2 of Family Affair) was also the first season to be filmed at the CBS Studio Center (aka CBS Radford Studios because of its address: 4024 Radford Avenue) at Don Fedderson's suggestion because of Desilu (the studio that was used for filming seasons 1-7) having been bought out by Gulf+Western, who subsequently merged it with their previous acquisition, Paramount Pictures, to form the new Paramount Television.

As to it being released on DVD in the future, I am certain that for seasons 6-10 they may continue divvying it up into halves, as they did with the black-and-white ABC years (seasons 1-5, 1960-65).

~Ben

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
As to it being released on DVD in the future, I am certain that for seasons 6-10 they may continue divvying it up into halves, as they did with the black-and-white ABC years (seasons 1-5, 1960-65).

~Ben
I'm not so sure anymore, since they started releasing complete series on blu-ray recently. MTS has not been transferred to HD, except for the first two seasons, so no blu-ray release likely. However, I think CBS may have come to the conclusion that the high priced days of individual seasons sets are done and that the best bet is cheap complete series sets based on whatever masters are floating around. In this case, if they are to continue with MTS they may just create three large volume sets, one for the B/W years and two more for the Color years. Just a feeling...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Desilu (the studio that was used for filming seasons 1-7) having been bought out by Gulf+Western, who subsequently merged it with their previous acquisition, Paramount Pictures, to form the new Paramount Television.

And as such, the bottom of episodes of O-R NBC Trek, which used to say this pre-merger:

tosdesilunorway.png

now would say this post-merger:

tosparamountnorway.png

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
At least Bonanza is up to Season 11 I believe. Sure wish the rest of these would get more releases.
Yes, it looked like Bonanza would end with season 9, but CBS surprised us and we’re up to 11. With only three seasons to go , I hope CBS /Paramount will give us the final three!
And I’m with you on the other shows.
And din’t forget Our Miss Brooks.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
At least Bonanza is up to Season 11 I believe. Sure wish the rest of these would get more releases.
I'm glad they got through the Candy years (up to season 11), which is as far as I need to go. I recall watching the finals years during broadcasts back in the early nineties. I didn't seem to mind them so much back then, but recently tried viewing them again and I'll pass. Too many changes, different intro and music, everyone getting a bit too old, too much Jaime as the seasons go on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks