What's new

CBS Remaking "The Wild Wild West" (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/cbs-to-remake-the-wild-wild-west-series-with-writers-ron-moore-and-naren-shankar/

CBS is bringing the adventures of Secret Service Agents Jim West and Artemis Gordon back to the small screen. "Battlestar Galactica" developer/showrunner Ronald D. Moore and former "CSI" executive producer/co-showrunner Naren Shankar are writing and executive producing. Since this is Moore's third series this year, following Sci-Fi police procedural "17th Precinct" and coast guard adventure series "The McCulloch" for NBC, Shankar would presumably be showrunning should the pilot make it to series. If they boil it down to the essentials of two secret service agents going on missions for President Ulysses S. Grant in a steam-punk twist on the post-Civil War West, I think this could be terrific. Ditch the train, ditch the over reliance on gadgets. Put these guys on horseback, have them sleeping under the open sky between towns, mix in normal outlaws and thieves with the more fantastical villains, and it's a show I'd definitely want to watch.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Kind of like Red Dead Redemption: The Series. I'm not a BSG fan at all, but I've liked some of Moore's past work and am interested in a new western. I'll check it out, at least. So, the other two are for next season as well?

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
It is not Wild Wild West without the train and gadgets. Will watch it a few times to see if it is any good.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If steampunk gadgets and the train aren't part of this, then it's crap. This show was the heart of the steampunk set. You can't go back and say "we'll remake a series without the stuff that people loved".

I mean, you can remake BattleStar Galactica, but I don't recall any thought of "We'll remake Battlestar.. without the Cylons!"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, but he did it without the *good* Cylons. The '70s versions were iconic, the CGI versions were crap.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Haven't really heard too many people actually dissing the nu-Cylons from the remake since the show started -- in fact, the ones seen in Seasons 3 and 4 are quite stunning and photorealistic.

(Though, at least design-wise, you'll get another chance to see the "classic" Cylons in action, in BSG: Blood & Chrome, if technically in a different continuity.)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Gotta have the gadgets (and the disguises). I'll never understand the attitude that says "hey, let's bring back old series X, but change it so we're not really bringing it back". If you want to do something different, why the hell are you using the old name?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I love the Original, and I'm sure CBS is all remake crazy since Hawaii Five O is a hit. But I wish there was more originality today. Good Original shows get cancelled, still I'll watch, has to be better than the Will Smith Version. Isn't the Streets of San Fran Remake still on track?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]In one of the highest-profile reboots this season, CBS is looking to revive the 1960s action-adventure Western The Wild Wild West . . .[/COLOR]

Oy vey!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks