1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

CBS Press Release: The I Love Lucy Christmas Special: Colorized For Kids Of All Ages

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    ILoveLucy_Chrstms_DVD_3D.
    CHRISTMAS SPECIAL: COLORIZED FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES
    Now With Colorized Version Of Lucy And Ethel At The Candy FactoryIn “Job Switching,” Available Exclusively At Target!
    Street Date: December 9, 2014
    Description: The I Love Lucy Christmas Special: Colorized For Kids of All Ages collection arrives on DVD just in time for the holiday shopping, and will also feature a special bonus disc of the beloved “Job Switching” episode. Available exclusively at Target, the collection includes both colorized and black-and-white versions of “The Lucy Christmas Special,” “Lucy Goes to Scotland” and “Lucy’s Italian Movie.” Plus, celebrate the season with the whole family by revisiting the fun of Lucy and Ethel’s first day at the candy factory in “Job Switching,” now also available as part of this must-own collection.
    Bonus Disc: Colorized and original version of “Job Switching”
    Specifications: Full Screen Format
    Dolby Digital English Mono
    English SDH and Latin American Spanish Subtitles

Rating: Not Rated
    Runtime: Approximately 203 minutes
    Suggested
    Retail Price: $14.99; Available in Target stores starting 12/9

2. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Interestingly, Lucille Ball hated this episode of the show and claimed to have found it "eerie" to watch (her words) and it made her very uncomfortable. She never knew why.

Strangely enough, I have always felt the same exact way about it. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about this episode, but something is off and it is, indeed, an eerie and uncomfortable experience (but there's nothing in it that should make it so.)

bryan4999 likes this.
  3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I like the "Colorized for kids of all ages" statement. Very Appropriate :)

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Is the Lucy Christmas Special available on the DVD Collection Sets from Paramount?

5. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Yes, Ron.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Thanks, Gary. Then I have it ... somewhere.

I own all 6 seasons on DVD.

7. bryan4999

bryan4999 Supporting Actor

Bryan Forbes
    In my set, it is on the last disc of season 6.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I think I have the same set. The description on the back of the purple box
    says something about colorized scenes from the Christmas Special as a bonus.
    So, the xMas Special must be on that disc.

9. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Second Unit

Ron
    Now With Colorized Version Of Lucy And Ethel At The Candy Factory
    In “Job Switching,”

​So this is the first time its been available in color?? I bought this DVD a year ago and now they add an extra dvd…grrrrrr

10. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Which episode are you referring to, Will? The Christmas special, which is basically flashbacks from earlier shows that they reminisce about while decorating the tree, or Job Switching?

11. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    The Christmas Show....Ball hated it. They are showing the colorized version of these two episodes this year on CBS.

12. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    CBS has a new I Love Lucy announcement and it's not the one I was waiting for, was hoping it was for Season 2 Ultimate Edition blu

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I can top that: the earlier dvd (without "Job Switching") was just given to me this last weekend as a birthday gift. LOL.

14. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Second Unit

Ron
    Thanks for this..I am going to DVR the Job Switching episode in color and have it on HD. I don't think I want to pay 15 dollars again to get the one episode in color.
    I bought season 1 blu ray and was very disappointed in the quality…the video simply sucked and was not Blu Ray…The regular DVD I bought looked better or about the same….I am not buying any further Blu Rays from I love lucy collection….The Batman release on Blu Ray puts to shame the I love lucy one...

15. Will Krupp

Will
    So I popped the episode in to discover what's actually wrong with it and I came away finding almost nothing "right" with it. It's a lazy, unfunny script (with only one real laugh from Lucy when she laments that her singing voice isn't "what it used to be") shot without a studio audience and none of the characters really relating to each other or to us. I don't know if it's the lack of an audience, but everyone seems to be speaking their lines in a stilted, overly deliberate manner (with Vivian Vance, for some reason, saying every line like she's acting in a TV commercial.)

Throw in the condescending references to the "real" Santa Claus (and yes, I get why they had to) and the really creepy, exaggerated pantomime with the "extra" Santa and you're left with a really icky mess. I think it's arguably the worst episode of the entire series.

What I still don't get is why I find the episode so damned depressing.

16. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    The Scotland dream episode is far, far worse than this one ever thought to be.

And Fred's tree trimming job makes up for any other flaws that it might have. That was good for a few laughs right there.

I think one reason it feels off is how little it has been seen. For decades, few even knew it existed while everyone regularly had access to the rest of I Love Lucy. And for many of us, we've never seen it in its correct, non-colorized state. I Love Lucy is B&W and should always be seen in B&W, so it's only going to seem off when that's tampered with.

But it's still I Love Lucy and it's still a Christmas episode, so it's still worth watching and better than most.

LouA and Gary OS like this.
  17. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    I am a huge Lucy fan but I will not buy another Lucy unless I can wrap up what I bought last year as a Christmas gift to a Lucy fan. Yes I am one of those that gives used gifts LOL.Back to Lucy though I would have liked a color version of the end episode in season one with the Christmas Tree and the cast wishing us a Merry Christmas.I only learned I had it on my DVD set from of course reading the review of the BD. Thanks again to that great HTF reviewer Matt.

18. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Gotta disagree with you on both points. I LOVE the Scotland episode. I think the Christmas one is tepid, bland and completely unfunny. Not the worst episode, which I would say was the hideous "Drafted." Plus, I hate clip shows. Laziness at its most extreme.

Will Krupp and Rob_Ray like this.
  19. Will Krupp

Will
    I stand corrected. "Drafted" IS the worst!
    Me too, but it IS interesting as to why this one was made. Even though reruns of the older episodes had been running on CBS Sunday evenings for over a year at this point, the "baby" episodes weren't among them and hadn't been seen since they originally aired almost four years earlier. They decided to treat viewers to a retrospective of those for the Christmas show. This is historically important as this was the first "clips" show ever, but far from the last (thanks for NOTHING, Desilu! :P )

I found the full Lucille Ball quote regarding this episode (via Geoffrey Mark Fidelman's THE LUCY BOOK):

"There is something eerie and spooky about this show. I don't know what it is, but it makes me a little nervous and I do not enjoy watching it."

Eerie, spooky, nervous and slightly depressing (MY word) are not adjectives/emotions one usually associates with I LOVE LUCY or Christmas episodes in general.

JohnMor likes this.
  20. Sky King

Sky King Stunt Coordinator

John
    I think most TV comedies that rely on flashback episodes or full musical numbers, just show a lack of writing ideas for that particular week.