CBS Press Release: The I Love Lucy Christmas Special: Colorized For Kids Of All Ages

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ILoveLucy_Chrstms_DVD_3D.jpg
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL: COLORIZED FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES
Now With Colorized Version Of Lucy And Ethel At The Candy FactoryIn “Job Switching,” Available Exclusively At Target!
Street Date: December 9, 2014
Description: The I Love Lucy Christmas Special: Colorized For Kids of All Ages collection arrives on DVD just in time for the holiday shopping, and will also feature a special bonus disc of the beloved “Job Switching” episode. Available exclusively at Target, the collection includes both colorized and black-and-white versions of “The Lucy Christmas Special,” “Lucy Goes to Scotland” and “Lucy’s Italian Movie.” Plus, celebrate the season with the whole family by revisiting the fun of Lucy and Ethel’s first day at the candy factory in “Job Switching,” now also available as part of this must-own collection.
Bonus Disc: Colorized and original version of “Job Switching”
Specifications: Full Screen Format
Dolby Digital English Mono
English SDH and Latin American Spanish Subtitles

Rating: Not Rated
Runtime: Approximately 203 minutes
Suggested
Retail Price: $14.99; Available in Target stores starting 12/9

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Interestingly, Lucille Ball hated this episode of the show and claimed to have found it "eerie" to watch (her words) and it made her very uncomfortable. She never knew why.

Strangely enough, I have always felt the same exact way about it. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about this episode, but something is off and it is, indeed, an eerie and uncomfortable experience (but there's nothing in it that should make it so.)

Reactions: bryan4999

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is the Lucy Christmas Special available on the DVD Collection Sets from Paramount?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Gary. Then I have it ... somewhere.

I own all 6 seasons on DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think I have the same set. The description on the back of the purple box
says something about colorized scenes from the Christmas Special as a bonus.
So, the xMas Special must be on that disc.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Now With Colorized Version Of Lucy And Ethel At The Candy Factory
In “Job Switching,”

​So this is the first time its been available in color?? I bought this DVD a year ago and now they add an extra dvd…grrrrrr

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Will Krupp said:
Interestingly, Lucille Ball hated this episode of the show and claimed to have found it "eerie" to watch (her words) and it made her very uncomfortable. She never knew why. Strangely enough, I have always felt the same exact way about it. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about this episode, but something is off and it is, indeed, an eerie and uncomfortable experience (but there's nothing in it that should make it so.)
Which episode are you referring to, Will? The Christmas special, which is basically flashbacks from earlier shows that they reminisce about while decorating the tree, or Job Switching?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
CBS has a new I Love Lucy announcement and it's not the one I was waiting for, was hoping it was for Season 2 Ultimate Edition blu

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
classictvfan40 said:
Now With Colorized Version Of Lucy And Ethel At The Candy Factory
In “Job Switching,”

​So this is the first time its been available in color?? I bought this DVD a year ago and now they add an extra dvd…grrrrrr
I can top that: the earlier dvd (without "Job Switching") was just given to me this last weekend as a birthday gift. LOL.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
rmw650 said:
For those in Chicago, the special airs on Sunday 12/7/2014 at 7 PM CT on WBBM-TV Channel 2.1 and it'll be airing for the rest of the nation on CBS at 8 PM ET and check local listings for other times in your areas.
I Love Lucy Christmas Special
WBBM-DT - 2.1 - Sun, 12/07, 7:00 PM 1 hr
Thanks for this..I am going to DVR the Job Switching episode in color and have it on HD. I don't think I want to pay 15 dollars again to get the one episode in color.
dana martin said:
CBS has a new I Love Lucy announcement and it's not the one I was waiting for, was hoping it was for Season 2 Ultimate Edition blu
I bought season 1 blu ray and was very disappointed in the quality…the video simply sucked and was not Blu Ray…The regular DVD I bought looked better or about the same….I am not buying any further Blu Rays from I love lucy collection….The Batman release on Blu Ray puts to shame the I love lucy one...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
So I popped the episode in to discover what's actually wrong with it and I came away finding almost nothing "right" with it. It's a lazy, unfunny script (with only one real laugh from Lucy when she laments that her singing voice isn't "what it used to be") shot without a studio audience and none of the characters really relating to each other or to us. I don't know if it's the lack of an audience, but everyone seems to be speaking their lines in a stilted, overly deliberate manner (with Vivian Vance, for some reason, saying every line like she's acting in a TV commercial.)

Throw in the condescending references to the "real" Santa Claus (and yes, I get why they had to) and the really creepy, exaggerated pantomime with the "extra" Santa and you're left with a really icky mess. I think it's arguably the worst episode of the entire series.

What I still don't get is why I find the episode so damned depressing.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Scotland dream episode is far, far worse than this one ever thought to be.

And Fred's tree trimming job makes up for any other flaws that it might have. That was good for a few laughs right there.

I think one reason it feels off is how little it has been seen. For decades, few even knew it existed while everyone regularly had access to the rest of I Love Lucy. And for many of us, we've never seen it in its correct, non-colorized state. I Love Lucy is B&W and should always be seen in B&W, so it's only going to seem off when that's tampered with.

But it's still I Love Lucy and it's still a Christmas episode, so it's still worth watching and better than most.

Reactions: LouA and Gary OS

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am a huge Lucy fan but I will not buy another Lucy unless I can wrap up what I bought last year as a Christmas gift to a Lucy fan. Yes I am one of those that gives used gifts LOL.Back to Lucy though I would have liked a color version of the end episode in season one with the Christmas Tree and the cast wishing us a Merry Christmas.I only learned I had it on my DVD set from of course reading the review of the BD. Thanks again to that great HTF reviewer Matt.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
LeoA said:
The Scotland dream episode is far, far worse than this one ever thought to be.

But it's still I Love Lucy and it's still a Christmas episode, so it's still worth watching and better than most.
Gotta disagree with you on both points. I LOVE the Scotland episode. I think the Christmas one is tepid, bland and completely unfunny. Not the worst episode, which I would say was the hideous "Drafted." Plus, I hate clip shows. Laziness at its most extreme.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I stand corrected. "Drafted" IS the worst!
JohnMor said:
Plus, I hate clip shows. Laziness at its most extreme.
Me too, but it IS interesting as to why this one was made. Even though reruns of the older episodes had been running on CBS Sunday evenings for over a year at this point, the "baby" episodes weren't among them and hadn't been seen since they originally aired almost four years earlier. They decided to treat viewers to a retrospective of those for the Christmas show. This is historically important as this was the first "clips" show ever, but far from the last (thanks for NOTHING, Desilu! :P )

I found the full Lucille Ball quote regarding this episode (via Geoffrey Mark Fidelman's THE LUCY BOOK):

"There is something eerie and spooky about this show. I don't know what it is, but it makes me a little nervous and I do not enjoy watching it."

Eerie, spooky, nervous and slightly depressing (MY word) are not adjectives/emotions one usually associates with I LOVE LUCY or Christmas episodes in general.

Reactions: JohnMor

Sky King

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I think most TV comedies that rely on flashback episodes or full musical numbers, just show a lack of writing ideas for that particular week.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39