CBS Paramount

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by RoryR, Jun 9, 2006.

1. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

I have Charmed Season 5 which features an array of CBS/Paramount logo's Firstly, on the spine CBS DVD, secondly, Paramount: A Viacom Company, Each disc also has CBS Paramount, CBS & Paramount.

Why did they not reduce the logo's? Paramount doesn't even exist? How can it be a Viacom company since what was Viacom is now CBS Paramount.

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I believe the deal of the split was that CBS got all of Paramount's TV properties (except for cable stuff from the MTV Networks), but because of their name recognition value the umbrella company that handles them was christened CBS Paramount Television. (Much like "LAW AND ORDER" is now an NBC Universal Television show) However, the gentlemen's agreement is that all the CBS Paramount TV product still gets serviced through Paramount's DVD operation, which is still a Viacom company.

Think this way:

Paramount TV -- CBS
    Paramount movies and DVDs -- Viacom

3. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Did you guys see that Hogan's Heroes complete series set news at The Digital Bits? It's coming Nov 10. I can't think of any extras that may be included in a complete set vs the single-season sets that have been released. Were there any "reunion" TV movies of this show?

4. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Supporting Actor

Yeah, my eyes just spied that myself! Surprised that TV on DVD missed that one.

Be interested to see what the contents are, as I don't have anything from Hogan's yet, but do remember watching the show when I was a kid. Might be willing to give it a try.

5. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Matt,

Since you don't have the existing season sets, this one's a can't-miss for anyone interested in the show.

The transfers on this show are outstanding. I'm almost thru S3 and to my knowledge, they're all uncut. I've seen these eps many times in the past in syndication but this is the first time since the original air dates that I've seen them uncut and far more pristine than those "antenna" days.

6. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Supporting Actor

Well, only thing I was worried about is the Complete Series set would look like Soap and Good Times with the DVDs stacked on a spindle. That not being the case, plus a bonus disc, it's on my radar. Problem is... well, read the sig!

7. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

No reunions. Bob Crane was murdered in 1978. That was pretty much before they started having TV reunion shows.

8. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    it is strange that they are now releasing Hogan's Heroes considering it has been a few years since all the dvds have been released. But, then again, i am not surprise. I just seen they are re-releasing the Land of Lost dvds to coincide with the movie release.

9. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

What's strange about it? Studios do it all the time. Knight Rider the complete series was delayed. So was I Love Lucy, Macgyver, X-Files, Stargate SG-1 ... just be thankful that it's being released. And, let's not forget Farscape or Andromeda.

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Not to speak for Paul but I think he means the gap of more than 2 years between the last season set and a series set. A series set usually comes out quicker than that today.

11. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Travis, I kind of understand that. But, while it may true with certain popular shows, it's not always true. I think consumers generally assume that since it's happened a few times here and there, that it's become the norm.

What everyone needs to realize is that studios aren't under any obligation to release a complete series set within a set timeline.

12. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

13. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    That's a bundled set, where Amazon takes all the individual season sets and just shrinkwraps them together and sells them as a complete set. What's coming out in a few months is a different animal completely. It will have a new, larger packaging that holds all the individual discs together in one box. Usually these "Complete Sets" are cheaper than the bundled ones as well.

Gary "nothing wrong with bundled sets though - some people prefer them because they get all the individual season boxes instead of just one larger box" O.

14. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

Ahh, thanks for the info. I was looking to by one those off ebay. Sound like I should wait. Thanks.