CBS Paramount Television

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by RoryR, Feb 23, 2006.

1. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

I have heard rumors than CBS Paramount may now distribute DVD's instead of Paramount? I noticed on the Frasier: Season 8 packaging a CBS logo was present while it was not on Cheers 8/Charmed 5 - does this mean we could see Frasier with extra's from CBS?

I am rather confused, these rumors don't seem to hold up considering (new) Viacom own's Paramount Home Entertainment - who would release the DVD's right?

Hopefully somebody can answer this before my head explodes. [​IMG]

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I think for now there is a "gentlemen's agreement" that DVDs of any CBS Paramount TV shows will be going out through Paramount Home Entertainment, even though they are now technically competing entities.

Here's how the split works, to save your head. When Viacom first merged with CBS, they fused all the TV assets together, and consolidated "redundant" departments, such as CBS' TV unit ("CSI") and Paramount's TV unit ("FRASIER"). When the companies were split, all the TV production went to CBS, and all the DVD operations went to Viacom. However, Viacom gave CBS "permission" to call the new TV production unit CBS Paramount Television, because of the history of both companies. Kinda the same way when NBC merged with Universal, they call the TV production unit by both names. But, since the "new" CBS has no DVD infrastructure of their own, it all goes through Paramount's DVD division.

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I wonder if they'll repackage the Trek Sets. Not that I'd buy them again I just wish TNG and DS9 and Voyager etc were issued in Slim cases

5. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

"I wonder if they'll repackage the Trek Sets. Not that I'd buy them again I just wish TNG and DS9 and Voyager etc were issued in Slim cases
    "
    They are. CBS Paramount re-issued the first 3 seasons of TNG and DS9 at a much cheaper price, but no slim cases.