What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've never heard a complaint about the picture quality on the CBS/Paramount sets (exception: Hawaii Five-O season 10). Even with all the uproar over The Fugitive music replacement, no one complained about picture quality.

IIRC, other CBS/Paramount season sets which had complaints about picture quality, are the Cannon half-season sets originally released back in 2008-2010.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Really wished CBS/Paramount would have put their time and money into finishing other uncompleted series before doing the complete series sets. Would have also given them more time to find more extras for the complete sets.

James

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Really wished CBS/Paramount would have put their time and money into finishing other uncompleted series before doing the complete series sets. Would have also given them more time to find more extras for the complete sets.

With CBS outsourcing shows to third party companies such as VEI and Shout Factory, they have very little to no incentive to do much of anything. CBS gets paid the licensing fees without having to lift a finger. VEI, Shout Factory, etc ... bears all the risks and liabilities in distributing/selling the dvd sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I generally feel these post-series "telefilms" aren't worth the time or effort to view. In spite of that I'll likely purchase the Wild Wild West package - if the price is right...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wonder if CBS/Paramount will release other post-series telefilms which were previously released as complete series set exclusive discs, such as The Brady Bunch and Walker Texas Ranger.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wonder if CBS/Paramount will release other post-series telefilms which were previously released as complete series set exclusive discs, such as The Brady Bunch and Walker Texas Ranger.

It's possible.

I mean , they even released a Sabrina film that wasn't part of any box set. So if they already have the complete set exclusives ready to go, it's not much work to release them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I generally feel these post-series "telefilms" aren't worth the time or effort to view. In spite of that I'll likely purchase the Wild Wild West package - if the price is right...

(On a different CBS/Paramount show).

I'll probably eventually pick up Dynasty: The Reunion if CBS/Paramount ever releases it on dvd.

Overall The Reunion movie was largely crap. Recently I watched it several times on youtube. It's basically a really lousy "action movie" featuring the Dynasty characters, with conspiracies and mind control.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This might never happen).

Another possibility for more complete series sets, is when VEI's contract with CBS expires.

Once the VEI (or Shout Factory) outsourcing contracts are expired, wonder if CBS/Paramount will re-release all those complete series sets themselves. Stuff like Diagnosis Murder, Mod Squad, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, The Colbys, The Sentinel, etc ...

Basically similar to what CBS/Paramount did with the original Twilight Zone, when its previous contract with ImageEntertainment expired.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Judging by the expense of the old Image sets before CBS entered the picture, they didn't overproduce and saturate the market with The Twilight Zone, leaving sales for CBS to go after.

I think it's telling that we've yet to see a CBS version for The Dick Van Dyke Show, considering how many of us bought the Blu-Ray's for $50-$70. Probably not much left there for CBS to pursue thanks to Image presumably overestimating demand and pressing far too many discs to move at premium prices, forcing prices to be slashed for a long time to move them out.

So the chances of that probably rests on how good of a job VEI does in reaching their market. If they don't print very many copies and they quickly dry up, or if they never reach the magic $50 region that CBS is targeting, I imagine CBS might consider it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of VEI and Shout Factory, I get the impression their customer base is primarily the hardcore crowd.

VEI seems to have flooded the market with tons of defective crap since 2012-2013. (ie. Too many discs with major playback problems).

I suspect if CBS/Paramount ends up re-releasing some of those sets, most likely it will be the same hardcore crowd buying the newer re-released CBS/Paramount versions, primarily for better disc quality control than VEI.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In the case of VEI and Shout Factory, I get the impression their customer base is primarily the hardcore crowd.

VEI seems to have flooded the market with tons of defective crap since 2012-2013. (ie. Too many discs with major playback problems).

I suspect if CBS/Paramount ends up re-releasing some of those sets, most likely it will be the same hardcore crowd buying the newer re-released CBS/Paramount versions, primarily for better disc quality control than VEI.

They'd have to go back to the vaults and use unedited versions for this hardcore to consider, say, a Barnaby Jones release.

I didn't buy VEI's edited crap, and wouldn't buy one just because it had a different logo on the spine.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Elementary is canceled next month (ie. very low ratings), then most likely a shelf-friendly low-budget complete series 30-disc set will be released later this year (or next year).

(I don't believe this show was ever released on bluray in regionA).

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bumping this up: here are a couple of EBay entries concerning the new CBS all-in-one of Vega$ (1978-81 ABC detective series w/the late Robert Urich). One shows the release with three separate seasonal cases inside, and the other shows the release as one case for everything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vegas-The-C...233296?hash=item41c4a83950:g:EhcAAOSw42JZD0WO (three seasonal cases)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vegas-The-C...814562?hash=item3f7bf85f62:g:Qx8AAOSwjqVZBOFb (one case for everything)

And odds are the three case version is a bootleg.

I saw this happen with one of the new DS9 boxsets elsewhere. Someone picked one up on E-Bay, and it was a bunch of small cases instead of two epikpaks and season 7. And it was a bootleg.

It seems the counterfeiters can't quite get ahold of those big epikpaks, so they're making do with smaller cases and hoping people don't question it.

Oh, no,wait, the 3 case version is shipping from China, so there's no "maybe" about it being a bootleg.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Judging by the expense of the old Image sets before CBS entered the picture, they didn't overproduce and saturate the market with The Twilight Zone, leaving sales for CBS to go after.

I think it's telling that we've yet to see a CBS version for The Dick Van Dyke Show, considering how many of us bought the Blu-Ray's for $50-$70. Probably not much left there for CBS to pursue thanks to Image presumably overestimating demand and pressing far too many discs to move at premium prices, forcing prices to be slashed for a long time to move them out.

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS is just letting The Dick Van Dyke Show dvd and bluray releases go out of print and lay fallow for awhile, until they start showing up at sky-high third-party scalper prices. Then CBS/Paramount can re-release their own version.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
So the chances of that probably rests on how good of a job VEI does in reaching their market. If they don't print very many copies and they quickly dry up, or if they never reach the magic $50 region that CBS is targeting, I imagine CBS might consider it.

(This is strictly anecdotal).

I have noticed the disc-reduced low-budget VEI Cannon complete series set has been sitting on the shelves at nearby Walmarts for more than a month, for around $26 a pop. In terms of recent precedents, VEI complete tv series sets usually didn't sit on the Walmart shelves for long periods of time.

If I had to guess, VEI might have mismanaged their inventory for some of their recent disc-reduced low-budget complete tv series sets, and overestimated the demand for them.

Further back in the past, every time I saw VEI released titles at the local Costcos, they would also sit on the shelves for long periods of time (ie. over a month) at basically dump-bin prices.

I suspect these cases are usually signs of overestimating demand and manufacturing too many copies.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And odds are the three case version is a bootleg.

I saw this happen with one of the new DS9 boxsets elsewhere. Someone picked one up on E-Bay, and it was a bunch of small cases instead of two epikpaks and season 7. And it was a bootleg.

It seems the counterfeiters can't quite get ahold of those big epikpaks, so they're making do with smaller cases and hoping people don't question it.

Oh, no,wait, the 3 case version is shipping from China, so there's no "maybe" about it being a bootleg.

And worse yet, none of the cases in that Chinese bootleg have any seasonal labeling, so you don't know which season is which!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks