CBS HD Programming: Less Than Impressed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tomlin, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I recently had my DISH 6000 Receiver hooked up. I receive the CBS HD channel, as well as HBO-HD.
    I have watched shows such as Touched By An Angel, Everybody Loves Raymond, and The Ellen Show. I must say that I was a bit disappointed in the picture quality. (The Ellen Show was a little better than the others). Don't get me wrong, they still looked much better than SD. But these programs didnt deliver the sharpness and clarity that I know HD can provide!
    This point was proven when I finally got the chance to watch CBS' CSI. WOW! I was blown away by the superb sharpness and clarity! This is what I was expecting from HDTV!!![​IMG]
    So, if CBS can do CSI in High Def "right", why don't the other shows look nearly as good as CSI? Are they using different equipment?

2. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

Rob,

I agree with you, I was quite dissapointed with HD after I bought my set and saw the quality. I guess I expected all the HD content to be the same as the Dish Demo Channel. I was told the difference is the way the individual shows are shot. If they use HD cameras the quality is equal to that of the Demo Channel, if not you get the quality of the shows you mentioned. Dish did broadcast a baseball game a few months back and aired it over the demo channel and it was very good quality. I understand it was all done with HD cameras and it far surpassed anything I've seen so far. I expect as more sets are sold and the demand is more, the quality will improve. I notice that the Sopranos is usually good quality but not that of the demo channel. Maybe someone else here can shed more light on this subject.

Jerry

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Funny you mention The Sopranos Jerry. I saw it for the first time the other night. I agree that it looked pretty darn good, better than most of the CBS HD programs. But it still wasn't quite up to the quality we know they are capable of.

Based on the quality of CSI, I am assuming that they ARE using a HD camera for that show!?

I wish I had access to the Dish Network HD Demo channel. I am on the west coast and I guess I am pointing at the wrong Satellite. Does anyone know why the heck Dish Network does not have the HD Demo channel on the other satellite?

4. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

5. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit