What's new

CBS Digital Any chance of The Twilight Zone? (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
With the work complete on Star Trek TOS, and it seems that these sets for classic television just blow most presentations away, I was wondering if CBS/Paramount/Image were working on going back to the original films and remastering the original Twilight Zones for release on Blu, much like Star Trek this has gone through many different release cycles, and has continued to only improve over time. And while the Definitive Collections are quite well, I do believe that there is still room for more improvements, and with the room allowed by Blu, how many different extras could be added to enhance this, Commentaries by, some of the stars? Redford, Shatner, Duvall, the list goes on and on, would only enhance this further cementing its place in history as probably the greatest anthology program ever produced. Any word on the possibility of this happening?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember a couple of years ago some sort of talk about it. I have to believe at some point we'll see it on Blu-ray - one reason I've held off from buying the DVD release.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
They've already been remastered in HD. All they need to do is release them. Was tentatively announced years ago. I gave up waiting and bought the DVD set...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure it was tentatively coming to HD DVD aways back but I do hope that a Blu-ray comes at some point in the near future.

As for more actor commentaries, they shouldn't bother. It was a nice effort on Image's part to get people to record a commentary but almost every one was pointless since the actor couldn't remember a three day job that they had 45 years ago (who could?). The commentary would be them saying how Rod Serling was a genius and the nicest guy, narrate what was onscreen for awhile and then they'd talk about the rest of their career.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

IIRC, many (all?) of the 'commentaries' were originally recorded as research interviews for Marc Scott Zicree's book The Twilight Zone Companion. They weren't originally meant to be heard by the public.

I'm glad they were included on the discs, despite not being terribly specific. Many of the contributors to the show have died, and the ones who haven't aren't getting any younger*.

* Except for that Ben Button guy, what's up with him?? ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Those Zicree interviews are on there and some of them are interesting because you get to hear from writers and directors and they seem to have a better memory of events (I'm sure it helps that they interviewed 'only' about 15 or 20 years after the show was shot). However, there were newly recorded commentaries from actors like Martin Milner, Donna Douglas, Don Rickles, etc. on there too. Like I said, it's great that Image and the actors took the time to do it but they aren't very informative because they're talking about three or less days of their lives that happened more than 40 years prior.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Pointless? I wholeheartedly disagree. Those who performed on the show are/were some of the finest actors in television. I for one welcome their comments, and appreciate the fact that so many of them participated. It's my favorite series ever (by far), so any tidbit is far from pointless.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm a Blu-ray owner and supporter, but I've already got the Definitive Series Edition on DVD and would not "upgrade" any further. There are only so many times I can re-re-re-buy everything, and the SD set is plenty sharp-looking enough as it is.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I only bought the first series on DVD. By that time it was evident that the possibility of an HD release wasn't out of the question. I'm definitely up for a definitive Blu-ray set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks