"CBS Developing Four-Hour Miniseries About Hitler"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAW, Jan 22, 2002.

1. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

This is just another example of the empty minds in Tv programming. Emotional button pushing at its stupidist, deja vu all over again and again and again !
    "CBS Developing Four-Hour Miniseries About Hitler" is the title of a Reuters online story, and the first sentence is..."HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - With the world's attention focused on the search for Osama bin Laden, CBS is developing a four-hour miniseries about another evildoer: Adolf Hitler." I guess that's the thin tie in, that had some network public relations flack working overtime on, huh ? Pretty thin stuff, if you ask me.
    Frankly, the Hitler family should sue for copyright infringement and past royalities due, as they always dust off this guy once every generation, for a quick ratings boost. There is nothing presented new, just alot of...
    ahem...controversay, alot of...ugh...compelling drama, alot of headlines generated of one point of view or the other, BLAH BLAH BLAH. I mean how many times and how many ways can one exploit this subject, to a story that we ALL know the ending to ? Well, many, many ways, and all of them successful, that's how many.
    Nazi's sell. If it's not a weekly dose on the History Channel, it's exploiting neo-nazism on Tv talk shows...alot of anger, alot of shouting, alot of fistacuffs, alot of swastikas and nazi regalia...a genuine cheap shot at exploiting horror of the human soul and the emotions that a swastika evokes in people...EVERYWHERE!
    So much the better we don't be concerned about what's happening today, and what should be important to us as social and political issues that are relevant to our daily lives. Heaven forbid we be concerned with dull stuff like that !!!
    So, here we go again ! SNNnnnnnnnnnnorrrrrrre !
    Wake me up when the rating books come out!
    Here is the link...
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20...tler_dc_1.html

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

God forbid they make a series about a Nazi Prisoner of War Camp and then turn it into a comedy about how the prisoners really run the camp and have some wacky fat nazi sgt say some cute catchphrase like for instance,' I knowwww nooooothing!!!!'

You are right about the History channel running it to often but unlike the crap that makes those nazi warm and cuddly,HC reminds you of the stacks of dead bodys and how this thing can happen. Too many people think our time is isolated from history and things like that could not happen today. It's hard to believe that Hitler was elected and people basically voted him the dictator powers he used to kill millions..we forget to often

3. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I agree Grant, I wonder if such a crazy idea for a Tv series would even get considered in this Politically Correct World we supposedly living in ?

Unfortunately these kind of shows magically appear around sweeps and they don't get toooooo concerned about the implications...we are just supposed to divinely assume them.

After all, we are just a bunch of non-discriminating dummies out here that just lap up ANYTHING shoveled out at Us.

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I'm still waiting for the punchline... [​IMG]

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

"Shuuuuuultz!"

Those who do not learn from history are condemnned to repeat it. Only if it works in a historical context and doesn't try to make him appear sympathetic would this be a worthwhile presentation. Too many organizations wouldn't stand for it.

"Oh, you've got the wrong map here. This is Stalingrad."

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I zee nothing! I zee nothing! (and how is it they always had huge-ass tunnels to hide everything? and managed to slip in blond women all the time as "officers" yeah, right)

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Always liked Heidi the secretary hogan would poke (guess he had the hidden camera in the teapot...sorry couldn't resist that one)

LeBeau: Hey Schultzeee...I just made Strudle

I sssseeeeeeeeeee noooothing!!!!!!

I think what made HH and the Producers, the only other Nazi comedy I can think of,was that it was so far over the top nobody could ever possibly confuse it with reality.

I heard HH actually got shown in germany (lately) but the translation was dreastically different the the English

Sort of along the same lines... I saw that the Boston Strangler tried to market a Chocker Neckless from prison.

It's so perverse and twisted you have to laugh except if you knew one of the victims. It's the same reason humor stopped after the WTC