CBS axes "Citizen Baine"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter McM, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    It really doesn't surprise me much. This brilliant show starring James Cromwell ( Babe, Star Trek - First Contact ) was simply too good for network television.
    Oh, well--at least there's still The Education of Max Bickford.
    ------------------
    "For Montagar, forever!"

2. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

This sucks. I really loved this show. I thought I was the only person watching it, but it's nice to see someone else liked it too.
    I figured the fact it had such a horrible time slot meant that CBS was actually trying to grow the audience there. You wouldn't think they really expected great numbers Saturday at 9pm.

3. Rey L

Rey L Stunt Coordinator

Acutally, Lydia Woodward and John Wells (the executive producers), asked CBS to cancel the show. The issue was how much money the show was able to generate.
    I heard a lot of good things about this program, but never watched it. As much as I would love to trash a network for cancelling a good show (Sports Night), the blame just isn't there this time.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

That's a real pity. I was enjoying the show in a sort of low-key way, but I guess that a cast full of people I recognized and like doesn't come cheap. Too bad, because it was one of the more original ideas for a show I'd seen in a while.
    Not a good fall for CBS - "Wolf Lake" and "Citizen Baines" barely lasted a month, "Max Bickford" is flailing relative to cost, "Survivor" is wearing out its welcome, and "The Agency" appears to scare them to death.
    (In a perfect world, they'd relaunch "Big Apple" in CB's place, but...)

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, to be fair, Fox hasn't really started yet, but CBS also seemed to have the most new shows, all of which have blown up in one way or another.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I give "Max Bickford" to the end of February... It's expensive enough that CBS won't want to shelve the 13 episodes it paid for, but it's losing audience, costly, and has already lost one set of producers (so it's "troubled").