CBS All Access - Stereo Only?

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
can confirm that CBS All Access only outputs stereo on Xbox One. I called the support line and the CSR seemed genuinely surprised that I would care about this
If you page back and read some of my early comments, one of the reps I spoke with seemed completely happy with the built in speakers on her TV. And that may be where part of the problem lies, reps who are not at all tech savvy. Hulu is the opposite - the reps I spoke with seemed genuinely concerned that their 5.1 device support rollout had been incredibly slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveF

Floydy

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff
CBS AllAccess is in 5.1 if you subscribe via Amazon Prime Channels.
Mind if I ask what generation Firestick are you using? I'm using the latest generation 4K and definitely not getting 5.1 pass through on any CBS All Access content. I get DD 5.1 on Netflix, Prime and other Prime Channels so its not an equipment problem. Are you sure you're getting true 5.1 pass through and not just an up-mix by your receiver? It's driving me nuts I can't get this to work!

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Mind if I ask what generation Firestick are you using? I'm using the latest generation 4K and definitely not getting 5.1 pass through on any CBS All Access content. I get DD 5.1 on Netflix, Prime and other Prime Channels so its not an equipment problem. Are you sure you're getting true 5.1 pass through and not just an up-mix by your receiver? It's driving me nuts I can't get this to work!
The app on Fire Sticks is stereo (again), but if you subscribe using Amazon Channels, it's 5.1. What I dislike about Amazon Channels is that it locks you into watching CBS All Access only through a Fire device.

Floydy

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff
The app on Fire Sticks is stereo (again), but if you subscribe using Amazon Channels, it's 5.1. What I dislike about Amazon Channels is that it locks you into watching CBS All Access only through a Fire device.
Wow, it would never have occurred to me that signing up through the CBS app on Firestick resulted in different audio capabilities than signing up through Prime Channels on Firestick. You are absolutely correct. I cancelled my current subscription and resubscribed through Prime Channels and 5.1 works as expected. You likely saved me a lot of time and frustration - thanks!!

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't use a Fire device. I use the Prime Video app on Roku.

Reactions: Brian L

Brian L

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
I have CBSAA through Prime, and I can watch it via the Prime app on my AppleTV4K.

In terms of having differing A/V capabilities for the same service when accessed via different devices, I would concur that the entire streaming space is somewhat of a shitshow at present.

Floydy

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff
I have CBSAA through Prime, and I can watch it via the Prime app on my AppleTV4K.

In terms of having differing A/V capabilities for the same service when accessed via different devices, I would concur that the entire streaming space is somewhat of a shitshow at present.
I agree with you but this is differences on the SAME device depending upon your entry point to sign up!

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
CBS All Access is free for 30 days with code GIFT until 4/23

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Got a strange warning on my Fire Stick the other day, asking me to free up some storage for a better screensaver experience (the screensaver was a blank screen with text rather than the usual nice vistas and ads. I found out that the CBS All Access app was hogging just over 1 gig of data in its cache!

Last edited:

DaveF

Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
Nevermind. I'm in.

I think my password was too long for the system. Except it didn't give me an error or any password requirements / restrictions when I typed it in. But everytime I updated to set a 24+ character password, it would give an error when I tried to log in. But when I use a shorter, simpler password, it would work.

So, I think problem solved.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was told if you go to cancel your account they will make you the offer then.

which version is the free offer for? I assume it’s the “with commercials” version

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I was told if you go to cancel your account they will make you the offer then.

which version is the free offer for? I assume it’s the “with commercials” version
Whichever version you choose. $6, or $10 monthly.

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
It’d be nice if the poor schmucks paying for it would get the free offer.
Yeah the two months would have saved me $20, but whatever.

My membership lapsed (I didn't cancel early) so my only option is to join back up at full price.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
It’d be nice if the poor schmucks paying for it would get the free offer.
If you don't cancel before April 30 and sign up for the offer then yes, you're a schmuck ;)

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
A month of commercial free Hulu ($12) right now also. I just resubbed-no problem. I wonder if paying subscribers have the offer?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2