CBS All Access - glad I had a trial

Mike Frezon

I'm still new to streaming and just took a subscription to CBS All Access.

Peg and I are watching a few different series concurrently and I'm wondering if someone here can help me out.

As of now, the only way I can figure out to navigate the system to get back to the series we are watching is to search on the name of the show and click on it, etc. This is clunky and not very efficient. Is there a way to set up a "favorites" section or be able to select the various series being watched so that they will come up when we log in?

Anything like that? I am using an Apple 4kTV as my source for this (if that helps). I have not gotten my sea legs yet around the streaming process. I couldn't even find the closed-captioning when I watched Hamilton on D+ the other night.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Anything like that? I am using an Apple 4kTV as my source for this (if that helps).
If you have the ATV, what you really should do is not use the CBS All Access app at all and use the Apple TV app. The "Watch Now" tab automatically queues up the next episode for you for every show you watch, even if you're watching shows across multiple services. It's also a great way to save a list of movies you want to watch next.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Patrick: Thanks!

I called it up and "connected" CBS All Access to Apple TV and found a couple of the series we are watching and now they are sitting in the Watch Now screen (you as you said).

What IS Apple TV? I have noticed it as an app on the A4kTV box. Is it just a piece of software designed to get subscribers of various services to be able to use it as "one stop shopping?" I apologize for being so far behind the times.

I do NOT see Disney+ as one of the channels listed on AppleTV (nor Amazon Prime).

Reactions: Cranston37

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Patrick: Thanks!

I called it up and "connected" CBS All Access to Apple TV and found a couple of the series we are watching and now they are sitting in the Watch Now screen (you as you said).

What IS Apple TV? I have noticed it as an app on the A4kTV box. Is it just a piece of software designed to get subscribers of various services to be able to use it as "one stop shopping?" I apologize for being so far behind the times.

I do NOT see Disney+ as one of the channels listed on AppleTV (nor Amazon Prime).
It's meant to be sort of a 1 stop place to view all of your content (instead of hunting through every single app), but it's not fully realized the way they envision it because not all services are connected to it (yet). Netflix and Criterion are two I wish would connect to it.

It's incredibly handy because you can see everything you are watching in one place. If I see a movie I might want to watch at some point, I'll add it to Watch Now before I forget about it. Or a member here might mention a movie that I'll add to it to watch later. All the different TV shows are there, too.

Another handy thing to know - if you use Siri to search for a specific movie or TV show it will show you what apps have it, so you don't have to search through every app to find it.

To make things even more confusing for you, there is a separate thing within the Apple TV app called Apple Channels, which is where you can subscribe to individual services. That is where you were trying to find Disney+ and Amazon Prime, but services like that are not located there.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Mike Frezon

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I got a second free month of CBS All Access and just cancelled again. I didn't watch much. When I went to cancel they offered me 2 additional months at 50% off. I did not take the offer. I will probably also cancel Disney+ when my free year expires in November. I expect Disney + to offer some spectacular entertainment in December as many free subscribers free service ends in November. Though many purchased the 3 year preorder Disney + deal so that might stop a big drop in subscribers in November.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I got a second free month of CBS All Access and just cancelled again. I didn't watch much. When I went to cancel they offered me 2 additional months at 50% off. I did not take the offer.
I seem to have had my free trial (mysteriously?) extended as well. I'm not complaining... though yeah, haven't watched it much beyond the original trial month (for the 2 new Star Trek series)...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

This was weird. Peg and I just watched a season of Survivor and a season of Big Brother on our new subscription of CBS All-Access.

Tonight, we went to watch a season of The Amazing Race and found it wasn't there!

For some reason, TAR is available on Amazon Prime.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
I subscribed to this for "Picard" and still haven't gotten around to cancelling it. I'm working my way through the new Twilight Zone, and I want to catch up with "The Good Fight" before I cancel.
Tonight, we went to watch a season of The Amazing Race and found it wasn't there!

For some reason, TAR is available on Amazon Prime.
Even though it airs on CBS and has the CBS Studios logo at the end, it's actually a Disney production. Disney must have made a deal with Prime Video at some point for the rights. It's got a better chance of ending up on Disney+ than CBS All Access, though.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm looking forward to getting caught up on The Good Fight, too, Adam!
Oh! Forgot I binged thru The Good Fight as well during that initial trial month. Thought I musta forgotten something given how much I used the service that 1st month. My memory ain't what it used to be, LOL... IF I know I'll have another free month (or more), I'd probably binge thru The Good Wife as well... but don't wanna start unless I can be sure, especially since my plate is pretty full already...

Meanwhile, just finally watched The Two Jakes on there. Kinda meh... It's not exactly a bad movie as much as it feels kinda (too) lifeless... too low key perhaps... Anyhoo, probably should be saying this in the other current thread instead...

_Man_

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Not enough new stuff interests me to resume subscription. I already have so much stuff to watch.

grjr53

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Still doesn't look/sound that compelling though...

One (very) annoying beef I have is w/ how there seems no way to set (better) default for audio to the highest available format (at least for their app on Roku). It seems to keep defaulting back to stereo PCM at the start of every single show episode (or movie), and for modern shows w/ either DD or DD-plus available, especially the various Star Trek series, that's very annoying and really needs to be "fixed".

Also doesn't help that their default stereo PCM tracks seem waaay louder than DD and DD-plus tracks, so whenever the default switch happens at start of a next episode, it'd completely blast us away w/ what seems like a thunderous 15-20db jump in volume -- only good thing is nobody would forget to manually switch back.

_Man_
Also, if I try to watch on my Fire Stick 4k or my built-in Android app then I can't find a way to get the 5.1/DD+ track at all. Onoy the fake DD from my AVR. Sometimes I would like to watch the Dolbyvision version of a show but can't get that on Roku.

Oh, and I could have sworn that a few weeks ago some of the shows that are in DolbyVision were also in Dolby Atmos. But I can't find anything like that now. It's possible I could have it confused with another service.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deano86