What's new

CBC/Radio-Canada and SIRIUS Announce Venture To Bring Satellite Radio to Canadians (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
For all you Canadian's out there. This is great news.

OTTAWA AND NEW YORK - December 10, 2003 - CBC/Radio-Canada, Canada’s national public broadcaster, and SIRIUS (NASDAQ: SIRI), known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and premium broadcast entertainment to cars and homes throughout the continental United States, today announced that they will form a joint venture to bring satellite radio to Canada. CBC/Radio-Canada and SIRIUS also announced today that the venture will soon file an application with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a license to provide satellite radio in Canada.

"CBC/Radio-Canada is excited about the opportunity to partner with SIRIUS to bring satellite radio to Canada," said Robert Rabinovitch, CBC/Radio-Canada’s President and CEO. “By expanding the choices available to Canadians, this new service will enable the national public broadcaster to better fulfill its mandate by extending its reach and enhancing its services to Canadians.”

This new, subscription-based, national service will give Canadians access to a wide range of programming and Canadian content. CBC/Radio-Canada was able to secure the distribution of two of its main channels, namely Radio One and La Première Chaîne. As a result of CBC/Radio-Canada’s involvement, the new venture will also provide significant opportunities for existing and emerging Canadian artists to showcase their talent and be heard not only across Canada, but throughout North America as well.

"Our agreement with CBC/Radio-Canada is an exceptional example of a time-honored brand joining with SIRIUS to bring an innovative national service to Canadians." said Joseph P. Clayton, President and CEO of SIRIUS. "60 of our 100 premier channels are commercial-free, and this makes SIRIUS an ideal match for Canada's public broadcaster and its unparalleled Canadian programming content. Also, we have exclusive agreements with DaimlerChrysler, Ford and BMW car manufacturers, who sell nearly 40% of all vehicles sold in Canada, which adds to our reach as well."

The CBC/Radio-Canada and SIRIUS venture will ensure that Canadians have the greatest possible access to a wide array of commercial-free music, information and entertainment services, as well as their national public broadcaster. When licensed by the CRTC, this new subscription-based service will be available to Canadians across the entire country, from urban centers to even the most remote regions.

"Fueled by the digital revolution, radio services are changing dramatically," added Mr. Rabinovitch. "We are forging ahead to ensure that CBC/Radio-Canada has an expanded reach and presence for the benefit of Canadians. We are also encouraged to know that the CRTC wants to deal with the matter of satellite radio expeditiously."

SIRIUS and CBC/Radio-Canada are holding talks with, and may add, other Canadian financial or broadcasting investors to the venture

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
While this seems to be great news for Canadians, does anyone know what the time frame is before we'll be able to subscribe? I have a 2003 Caravan with a Sirius ready head unit....I've toyed with the idea of subscribing through the grey market, but I've held off up until now. I would prefer to do this legit, but if Sirius isn't coming North within the next 4-6 months, I'm going grey market.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
But what about the rules/laws that I thought Canada had saying that a ceratin percentage of music programming had to be from Canadian artists?

Maybe this will lead the way for legal DirecTV and Dish in Canda.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks