CB interference with sub.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ottis Fletcher, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

My neighbor is a 35 year old drunk that lives with his parents. He has a CB radio and a huge freaking antenna on his room. Im getting interference through my sub when when the reciever is off, I cant hear him when its on, I dont know what hes saying but is just jibberish. My mom can hear him on her TV really good and he comes through the cordless phones. Could this damage my sub in any way? I have been unplugging it for now. I all ready contacted the FCC and they said they dont investigate these kind on problems.

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

3. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Ottis,

I would guess that your lead going from your amp to the sub is the culprit. It will be acting as an antenna.

Try using RG6 Quad shield to block out the interference and/or get a ferrite rod and wrap your lead around it, I have used this method in the past to stop interference in TV's by CB operators.

He is probably using a kicker (or power amp) which is causing the signal to become dirty, or his connections at the antenna may need cleaning.

Richard

4. Ottis Fletcher

Our houses are about 15-20 feet apart and the antenna is at the closest point between the houses. I plan on cutting the wire when the snow melts, I dont want leave foot prints. The guy that owns the video shop next to my work is into CBs, HAM, and Short Wave radios, my boss said talk to him because he has licenses to operate and would know what local agency to contact for violations. Since this is a recent problem I guess he just put it up, I can hear him through stereos, telephones, TVs, home theaters, and my computer speakers. Come to think of it I might go on a covert-op and take down the tower tonight.

5. John F. Palacio

6. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Are you sure that he is operating a CB? If by some chance he is a ham operator, I bet he'd be more than willing to help you slove the RFI (radio frequency interference) problem. If not, you may want to go and talk to him anyway and see if you can work something out. Simply cutting the coax on his station is only a temporary solution since he can be back up and running in a short amount of time.
    I'd be willing to bet that he is running some sort of CB with an amplifier which is causing all of your grief. CB radio is limited to an output of 5 watts in AM mode which generally doesn't cause too many problems.
    You may want to try contacting your local law enforcement agency and complain to them. The FCC gave the power to enforce regulations pertaining to RFI problems to local authorities a few years ago.

7. Ottis Fletcher

Im not going to cut the wires first. I will talk to him soon, and if that doesnt work then contact the agency that handles problems, if all else fails I will have to cut the wire. Thanks for the links.

8. Bill**H

Bill**H Stunt Coordinator

If he is a Ham you could be in big trouble with the Federal Government if you cut the cable as he has a license from them to operate. You would also be in trouble with the local police, destruction of property. Don't do it!!!
    Todd had good ideas. You could also go to Radio Shack and buy #273-104 and rap your Subwoofer cable around them as many times as you can. Your Sub cable is acting as an antenna. As far as the cordless phone you could buy Radio Shack #43-150. I have the 273-104 on my computer keyboard line and 43-150 on the phone line going to my modem. I have a Amateur Radio License (Ham) and can legally run 1500 watts and have no interference problems.
    If he is a CB operator, he may be using an illegal power amplifier which is not type accepted by the FCC (none of the CB amps made are type accepted). Most all CB operators run everything cranked up to the max which causes interference.
    You might want to contact Mr. Riley Hollingsworth at the FCC. He is "Special Counsel Enforcement Bureau", the head man in problems such as yours. I am not sure if this email address and phone number are still correct as I did a search on the web. His email address is [email protected] The phone number is 1-717-338-2502. He can tell you what your options are.
    Hope this helps.

9. Ottis Fletcher

Hes not allowed to disrupt all the electrical devices in my house with speakers on them? Why should I have to pay money to fix my stuff for a problem that shouldn't be happening. Even if he does have a license to operate (which I know the guy so Im all most %100 he doesn't) would he be allowed to disrupt services in my house? What if theres an emergency I have have to call an ambulance or the police and I cant get through or they cant hear what Im saying because of the interference and help never arrives? One more thing I forgot to mention, my garage door has all so been opening by itself. I don't know if a frequency from a CB or HAM can this but if it is I think the government would make him cease operation. After all that would be a risk to health and property, its just inviting a burglar in my house. Im not against CBs and HAMs, if he wants to do it more power to him, but NIMBY.

10. John F. Palacio

11. Ottis Fletcher

I went out and got a good look at it. My previous height estimates were way under. Its a cylinder shape that starts off thick and appears to get thinner as it goes up, it might not get thinner I cant really tell, its about 3-4 inch circumference at the base of the antenna. It is more like 40-50 feet above his house.

12. John F. Palacio

13. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Sounds like a CB to me. Many years ago (late 1980s), before I became a Ham radio operator, I had a CB with a 300 watt linear amplifier connected to it. One night a friend of mine needed to stop at an apartment for some reason and I stayed out in my truck talking on the CB. It didn't occur to me at first but the garage door in front of me kept opening and closing. After I noticed this was happening, it became apparent that every time I keyed the microphone, the door would either open or close.

A linear amplifier, especially behind a CB that has its audio limiter clipped and the mic gain controls cranked to maximum, can wreak havoc on a lot of things. I used to be able to light a 4 foot flourescent tube by simply holding it within a few feet of my antenna and keying the mic. I also know of one self serve car wash that would activate by simply keying the mic of a high powered CB 5 times near the coin box (it thought it was getting 5 quarters). That was quickly resolved by the car wash owners (probably once they saw their water bill).

Most (if not all) Ham stations run much cleaner than that even at the maximium power output of 1500 watts PEP. If a Ham operator is running a clean station and it's still interfering with consumer electronics, it's the responsiblity of the manufacturer of that product to solve the RFI problem. Most Hams will do everything in their power to help solve any RFI complaints that their neighbors have though.