What's new

Caving in…. (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
OK, I have sworn to sit out the format war until it is resolved. I have vehemently denied that I would break down and jump in before the second (or even third) generation of players. Well….. um…… I've been down this road before, and I know how it is going to turn out, with the inevitable Labor Day sales coming up (what can I say, I have no will power where AV toys are concerned). It would be easy if the Tosh player was still the piece of junk it was on rollout, but through firmware updates, it seems to be a pretty solid piece of hardware now. My question is, how far is the player from delivering all the functionality initially promised? Are we waiting on more firmware upgrades to give functionality that should have been there from day 1, or is the Tosh where it should have been on rollout?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
With the 2.0 firmware coming suppsedly this week, TrueHD 5.1 will be added which is the most wanted feature. Other then that, its good to go

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Kewl, Thanx Joey!

Next question: The player will not be near an internet connection. Can the firmware updates be downloaded, burned to CD-ROM, and applied that way?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There are some people having problems with that--there are apparently some tricks to it; much simpler to send in the postcard and have Toshiba mail you the updates.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Mark, so the unit can update the firmware with a CD-ROM (as opposed to a direct internet connection)? That would seal the deal for me....:D

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes it can. You can find both ISO and Nero image files for all of the currently released Toshiba HD-A1 firmware here:

http://www.1080x1920.net/

Be aware that this is NOT an officially sanctioned site. I downgraded my player's v1.4 firmware to v1.2 and it couldn't have been simpler. Burn the image file to CD-R, load it into the player, wait for the update to complete. Took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Good luck with your new gadget...what sucks is knowing it will only play movies from a small group of studios...unless of course you cave twice and get the $1000 Blu ray machines?? :)

I'm holding out till there is ONE format and ALL studios support that ONE format...I don't want to cheat myself out of all the movies that in time will be released.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Of course the argument can be made that you are cheating yourself out of 100% of the movies right now.

Congratulation (without qualification) on your purchase Vader I’m sure that you will be pleased.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The other good thing about the HD-A1 is that it is an absolutely superb upconverting SD DVD player that has NONE of the macroblocking problems that plague machines utilizing the Faroudja FLI-23xx deinterlacer/scaler (around 98% of them currently on the market). If you have a HDMI or DVI input on your display you're set. It's also very good at Redbook CD audio.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Heck, I'm up 80 bucks towards the Toshiba and I vowed that I would wait for a clear winner, but so far this model will not only set the standard as to quality it would probably be vintage in few years. I'm not waiting any longer, I'm saving.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Heck I swore that I would only purchase a Blu-ray player and the more I looked into it and after some encouragement from Ronald Epstien. I saved up the downpayment so I could put an HD-A1 HD-DVD player on layaway. I will have it payed off this coming September 1st. I do not have a dvd player that can upsample sd-dvd's so this will be a very nice addition. I allready own 7 HD-DVD titles so far and will buy at least 2 more the day I pick up the player. And I swore I would not buy both players :laugh:

Oh, buy the way Vader I did not laugh looking at your HT. I work in the retail business in the delivery department. And I see people with little 19 inch tv's and small portable stereos. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with your HT, it is very nice :emoji_thumbsup:. And I bet your Denon has DTS-ES, my Yamaha RX-V995 doesn't. Heck my Yamaha does not even have component video switching or assignable digital inputs. I would give my left leg for a Denon AVR-3806 right now.

My current HT system:
Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 Surround Reviever 100w/ch x 5
Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD Player
Denon DVD-2200 DVD/SACD/DVD-A Player
Marantz LD-520 LD Player
Denon DTR-2000 DAT Recorder
JVC QL-50 Turntable - this need repairs now :frowning:
Sony 50" LCD HDTV
Altec Voice Of The Theater A-7's

Toshiba HD-A1 on layaway with possible plans to buy a Sony Blu-ray next.

Upgrades:
Denon or Adcom reciever with 1080p switching and Dolby Digital +, Dobly True HD and DTS-HD built in decoding.
Upgrading center channel and rear speakers.
1080p HD projector w/ 120" screen
Subwoofer

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys will not be disappointed in the Toshiba.

I am just continually amazed by HD-DVD to the point where
I have pretty much ceased purchasing SD-DVD titles.

Perhaps you can better understand my impatience for the
studios to really let loose on these new formats. So much time
and so little films.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Thanx, everyone!

Unfortunately, I will be unable to take advantage of the upscaling, though. My Mitsu is component only (model year right before DVI became standard - 2003), and I do not anticipate upgrading in the near future (or until this one dies). While I know I cant get the full 1080p (or even digital 1080i), I am like a kid counting down to Chistmas. What really pushed me over the edge was the demo running at SoundTrack, which had the Batmobile chase in HD (I still think SD looks great, but this.....)

Dave, thanks for the kind words! It's kinda funny you should mention a 19" TV, 'cause that's where I started 16 years ago. My first Pro-Logic amp (NEC PLA-710) is still doing duty running my computer speakers. My HT is simply the product of slow evolution (each time my wallet calmed down enough and called off the hitmen, I upgraded a little). Oh, and a nearly unlimited WAF doesn't hurt, either...:D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Vader,

I have done the same thing as you, I saved and saved and upgraded little by little. My first TV was a Sylvania 27" and my first decent audio set up was a Kenwood rack system. Over the years I upgraded to a Toshiba 31" TV, Onkyo Integra 100w/ch Intergrated Amp which I still own. JVC CD player to Denon CD Player upgraded to a Sony DVP-S9000 ES. I started with a Panasonic DVD player then on to a Akia DVD, Pioneer DVD then upgraded to the Sony DVP-9000 ES and now I added a Denon DVD-2200. I took the Kenwood speakers and replaced the components and added a port to the cabinets. I went out and purchased Pile Driver components and replaced the Kenwood componets. I later purchased a pair of Altec A-7's from my father for $400 for the pair. I have owned a number of components over the years and last year purchased a Sony 50" LCD HDTV which I consider a entry level HDTV.

Good luck on you upcoming HD-DVD purchase Vader, enjoy :emoji_thumbsup:

Hello Ronald E.

I currently have a HD-A1 on layaway and hope it will come into the store and is ready when on pay it off September 1st. I cant wait to get it home and see it on my own HDTV. I decided after one of your replys on a thread I would take the plunge I am giving you the credit for giving me that finall push to buy the HD-DVD player, thanks Ronald E.:emoji_thumbsup:

I will let you know how it works out as soon as I get the player home. I allready own 7 titles so I will give it a good work out once it is here and hooked up.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well...I caved too. :) Told myself and others I would wait. Just couldn't do it.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Had to have a HD-A1.

I'll post a review later in that thread. But I'm excited as heck. :)

htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys are most welcome!

The HD-DVD format is the real thing. You'll immediately see the
improvement to the point where standard definition fare won't cut
the mustard anymore.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Well, I caved about a week ago, and I've only watched Serenity, but...

Oh. My. God.

I had only planned to watch a little bit of the movie (it was about 1 am when I finally got home and hooked it up), but I was sucked in. I could tell the difference immediately. I'm talking about as soon as the Universal logo popped on to the screen. It was so crisp, and the audio really felt like it could breathe, if that makes any sense. Simply put, HD is simply incredible. I thought movies on HBO-HD were awesome, but this was even better, which I assume is due to the higher bit rate.

On that note, I'd just like to say that for all the talk on the video side of things, I was really blown away by the DD+ soundtrack. Tim, I know you're a big fan of the Serenity track, and I promise you will really enjoy it now. Every single effect sounds like it is truly surrounding you, even nuanced background sounds.

I'm eagerly awaiting some of my BB Reward Zone rebates to come soon so I can pick up some more titles.

Meanwhile, I'd also like to rave un the upconversion quality of the A1. I've been using a Panny S97 for a couple of years now, and I find the A1 superior. I watched the first half of ROTS, and it looked spectacular. Going back about 20 years, I also watched "ST III: The Search for Spock," and was very impressed. I'm still keeping the Panny around for a secondary display that I might have someday, but the A1 has taken over as my primary player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks