What's new

Caulking a bathtub (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Can anyone recommend a high quality, durable caulk for around our bathtub? It will be used where the acrylic tub meets ceramic wall tile. Is that self adhesive caulk any good? Thanks.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
If you go to your local hardware store any of the brands that say they are designed for the bathroom will do the job.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I just re-caulked my bathroom this weekend using a silicone kitchen/bathroom caulk that I bought at Wal-Mart. Worked very well. When I go home for lunch I'll look and see what the name brand is.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Todd. Was it 100% silicone, or acrylic latex with silicone added? I read the 100% silicone caulks are very hard to work with.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Jim Mcc said:
Thanks Todd. Was it 100% silicone, or acrylic latex with silicone added? I read the 100% silicone caulks are very hard to work with.
It was GE Waterproof 100 % Silicone for kitchens and bathrooms. It was fairly easy to work with. Just use painter's tape above and below the seam, put down your bead (be careful not to use too much), then use your finger to press and smooth it. Take the tape off and let dry.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Any advice on reattaching a few loose tiles before caulking? I've got one inch tiles on all walls of the bathroom, probably about 25-30 of the lower tiles in the tub are still partially attached to the "grid" behind them.. Do I rip them off and reglue some how, grout and then redo the caulking? Never done it, but I know I can't shower in that tub because I;m afraid I'll rot whatever backing there is. No broken tiles, but where do I start so the tub is useable again?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Didn't mean to hihack things. Just similar situations other than I've got a porcelain tub meeting ceramic tile. Thought I could pick up a few pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread