CATV Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Overholt, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I know, everybody is having problem with cable TV, but I need to know the best way to take them on with this, because I know what they'll want to do.
    This started about a month ago. Sometimes (and only in the morning) my CATV signal will turn black and white. (I thought it was my TV at first, but the other inputs are ok). The signal gets even worse and the picture shimmers at times too, and even breaks up. This can last anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours, and go on and off whenever it feels like it.
    If I call them up, they are going to want to come out, but I know that it is not the cable feed or the TV, and I can't reproduce it at will, except to make a VHS tape up. Does anyone know what causes this or at least the name of the problem so I can tell them what to do to fix it?
    Thanks!
    Glenn

2. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Glenn,
    If you haven't done so already, you might try posting this problem in the Hardware forum as well -- just to give you maximum coverage. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I think more people are likely to respond if you cross post.
    Just a thought,
    Deborah
    ------------------

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, I thought about that, but decided that this isn't a hardware problem. [​IMG] I could have sworn that the DBS and Satellite Dish Area used to include CATV, but I'm probally slipping! [​IMG]
    Actually, I don't think that anyone here knows. As CATV is almost like OTA, and I've been watching the tube for over 40 years (even did some repair work on them in the '60's) I haven't seen this except for very brief breakups (a few seconds), like when a storm would start up. I think it's time to buy an OTA antenna.
    Glenn

4. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Hi, Glenn,
    CATV may have been here once -- but it would have been before my time, I guess. I have seen a fair number of cable questions in the hardware section so that is why I suggested posting this there. It might be worth at least calling the cable company's tech support people and asking if there is something on their end that could be causing this.
    I seem to remember that my old Sony Trinitron (circa 1979) used to very occasionally give me a black and white picture with my cable system, but the moments were very brief -- nothing prolonged like you are having.
    It will be interesting to see if using an antenna eliminates it for those shows you get off the air. If it does, then the cable company is doing something hinky or perhaps your television is not totally compatible with their equipment. The cable where I live does every imaginable awful thing a picture can do and is often almost unwatchable. I finally went out and bought myself a satellite system and am a much happier consumer now.
    For what it is worth,
    Deborah
    ------------------