CATV amplifier question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Delbert Grady, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Delbert Grady

Delbert Grady Auditioning

I currently have a really crappy CATV company (service electric in lehigh county, PA). I have one RF jack (about 7.5mvdb avg) feeding a 1in 3out Blonder Tongue 0-1000MHz splitter with 5.5db of loss on each output. It's going to a cable modem, a DVR and a VHS deck.

I'm getting crappy reception with an average signal of about 1-2mvdb coming off the 3 outputs. I'd like to get an RF amp and most of them are pretty expensive. I can get a ZTA15 (15db amp) from Blonder Tongue for about $10. I know I should put this before the splitter to get the best picture quality.

Does this sound like a good idea? Will I notice a big picture quality change?

Any info is appreciated!

2. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I seem to remember paying only $30 for an amplifier/splitter combo that gave about 8 dB of boost on each of four outputs. Found it at Lowe's, of all places. Works fine for me.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’d be surprised if you didn’t. With a signal that low, I don’t know how things could get any worse.

I’ve been using a splitter/amp combo from Radio Shack for about 10 years or more now; no complaints. It’s worth a shot.

Keep in mind, however, that they can only amplify the signal they’re receiving. It’s not going to be any better than it would have been before all the splits. But if un-split signal is acceptable, then you’ll be ahead.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Delbert Grady

Delbert Grady Auditioning

Thanks guys, I ordered it today. Hopefully I'll see a difference. If not, it's only $10.

Thanks again!