What's new

Cats & Dogs...All I saw was FULL SCREEN!.... (1 Viewer)

Looks highly daunting to me. Well, when the studios abandon OAR on that side of the pond, I guess importing from Europe is the only choice. I'm being overly pessimistic of course.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well, from reading this thread, it seems like 80% of the retailers are getting the Full Screen only. This is not sending a good message to Warner.
Is it possible Warner could be behind this some how? Do the retailers know about the widescreen version? This could be the excuse Warner needs to not release two versions in the future.
Jeff

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Actually last night during the Warner chat(which was the best chat in my opinion to date for pure dvd release/marketinginformation) this was mentioned to warner and they said they will keep a eye on it
capt

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
It took me a while to find an online site that had the widescreen version in stock but I finally found one: dvdexpress.com . I looked at dvdempire.com and they listed it as available when stock arrives and lasersedge.com gave no availability info that I could find. So this looks like the best bet. When I ordered there were 53 copies left, now its down to 32 so order fast!

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I can't find the widescreen version either. I went to Suncoast supposidly a movie store but they only had the Full frame version and said that there is no widescreen version. I laughed at them and walked out. These guys also told me that House isn't on DVD LOL. Best Buy in my area doesn't have the widescreen version either.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I went to a music store called "Turtles"...used to be "Wherehouse Music" until a few months ago. They only had FF versions of C&D as well. As I bought a few things from them, I asked the clerk in a pathetic tone of voice "I don't suppose you have widescreen copies of C&D hiding somewhere?". He called over to a manager-or-supervisor-type person and asked about it. The response was that they didn't get any in, he just found out about it yesterday, and he ordered some copies today. He isn't certain that the distributer has any to send him, but I'm to call him tomorrow to see if the order went through. If it did, he might have it in time for the weekend.
It's $3 more than the FF version at Best Buy. Pocket change for OAR, if you ask me! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
I saw BOTH the P&S and Widescreen versions yesterday in Laserland (Carle Place, NY).
------------------
Sony KP-61HS10, Sony DB940, Toshiba SD-6200, JVC HR-7600U, Sony CE545, Sony Sat. Receiver, Klipsch Reference Series (RB-5, RC-3 & RS-3), Klipsch KSW-15, Sennheiser RS-6, Sony RM-AV2100

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
I called or checked about 7 or 8 different stores before I was able to find the Widescreen version.
FutureShop (both outlets)... all "Full Screen". Costco... all "Full Screen". Even Cinema One, a movie specialty store... "Full Screen" only!
Finally found the WS version at Sunrise Records. (They had about an equal ratio of WS/FS. And this was on street date.) Paid C$3 more than the FutureShop price... not bad. Mentioned to the clerk that they seemed to be the only store in the city stocking the WS version, and she was quite surprised. Turned out she was a WS afficionado herself! Link Removed
A couple of the stores mentioned there wasn't a WS version available for this title. Oh, and one oh-so-helpful clerk informed me that it didn't matter, since my DVD player should be able to be set to play the FS disc in WS for me...
rolleyes.gif

Chad

AaronJB

Second Unit
I'm watching the widescreen version right now for review - I got it from deepdiscountdvd.com. Although their website doesn't indicate stock of the widescreen edition, that's where I got it from, so maybe those who'd like to buy it there can call/email.
Cats and Dogs (Widescreen) DVD Review
[Edited last by AaronJB on October 19, 2001 at 04:34 PM]

Rob Sitze

Auditioning
All three BB's in the Puget Sound (Seattle) area had the Pan and Scan version. I wrote them yesterday evening, got an interesting reply today: (My original complaint follows.)
~~~~
Dear Mr. Sitze:
Thank you for contacting Best Buy in regard to the movie "Cats & Dogs".
I can certainly understand it is frustrating when you are unable to locate a movie in the format that you wish to purchase. We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration that you have described in your email. I have
found that Warner Brothers shipped the incorrect version of the DVD to our stores and failed to inform us of the error before the shelves were stocked.
However, we have been assured that we will have copies available in our stores within the next two weeks.
Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or comments. We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or online at www.BestBuy.com.
Respectfully,
Kevin Reuss
Internet Correspondence Team
Best Buy Corporate Headquarters
---original---
RE: Comments:
I am dismayed that your merchandise buyers did not order Widescreen editions of the DVD: "Cats and Dogs." Your stores throughout the Seattle area only had the "Full Screen" version in stock. Full Screen, also known as "Pan and Scan," is a poor choice for DVD quality movies. It literally deletes a major portion of every scene in the movie. I never buy DVD editions that have been mutilated by the publisher in this way.
Customer service tried to be helpful, but no one was able to find the Widescreen version for me. Please have your buying department rectify this problem and I will gladly purchase the Widescreen edition of any movie I want from you in the future.
~~~
------------------
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have found that Warner Brothers shipped the incorrect version of the DVD to our stores and failed to inform us of the error before the shelves were stocked.
Bullshit. They why isn't the WS version of C&D in their inventory system? Why can't they write me a raincheck.
No sale. I'm getting mine from a music store that's working to bring copies in for me and others who want OAR.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
None of my local stoes have the widescreen version either. Best Buy told me they hope to receive them next week, but they were not sure. I just ordered a copy from Digital Eyes. Hopefully they get their's soon.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, I found the widescreen version Oct. 16 at the very first place that I looked - the Fred Meyer on 148th in Bellevue. In fact, I didn't even see any pan & scan copies at all. I didn't realize at the time that I was so lucky.

Rob Sitze

Auditioning
Hey D. Scott. I literally ran out during lunch today, but they sold out Saturday. (That FM is about four blocks from my office.)
Drat.
------------------
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone from the Charlotte area been lucky enough to find a widescreen version? If so where? I've been looking all over town. Thanks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How is the movie? It seemed to be worthy of at least a rental but I had only seen P&S versions also.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
By daughter and I watched it last night in glorious WIDESCREEN (on 36" 4:3)... we both really enjoyed it. Her maybe a little more than me because of some of the sillyness but I was expecting that. I will certainly watch it again sometime soon.
smiley_spidey.gif
Frank
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true
usa_small.gif

[Edited last by Frank Anderson on October 23, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks