Cats and speaker wire

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Patrick-J, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

I'm sure you can all see where this is going. My wife and I are moving, so I was pulling up all my 12 guage speaker wire to find that the cat had bitten through the plastic coating in a number of places, on almost every wire. The copper isn't damaged yet, but she did make it through to it.
    So what I was thinking for the new room since I need to have different cable lengths anyway, was a set of speaker cables that have metal mesh casing of some kind. Whatever interference they prevent is an added bennifit, but the real role is as armor against the afore mentioned cat. The thing is, that sinking money into high end cable isn't where I want to spend my money right now. Is there a good quality, metal encased wire that is inexpensive?

Thanks

Patrick

2. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

I used wire loom on all my speaker and interconnects. Looks neater, and protects them from the kitty cats teeth. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well there is RG8 that can be configured as a speaker cable, but that's a little pricey and there's no guarantee the cat won't also find that tasty. If your lengths are short, why don't you try the wire loom and spray it with 'bitters'.

4. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered coating the speaker wire with something the cat won't like?
    There are products made for just this sort of thing. There is a bitter apple spray that is available at most pet stores and cats absolutley hate the taste of this stuff.
    You shouldn't have to do this forever just for a couple of months. Once the cat figures out the speaker wire tastes bad it won't want to chew on it anymore.
    A bottle of this stuff will probably run you about $5.00 and be more than enough to wipe the wires down once a week for two months.

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

You could try Hide-A-Wire available at any Home Depot. Granted, the plastic conduit isn't flexible, but it should do the trick right up until the wire runs up to your speaker.

6. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

My solution also includes metal. 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot. [​IMG]

Alternate solutions,

hire a pit bulldog to stand guard.

Got mice? If you did, the cat would be so busy chasing mice, he wouldn't even think about the speaker wire.

Every time he bites a wire, bite him back. Make sure you've had your shots first though. [​IMG]

Cover the cables with Cat gut. Maybe he might take a hint that if he tears it up, he could be the next cat.

But seriously, get rid of the cat is the best solution of all. However, if the feline must stay, the sprays or metal mesh are decent ideas.

Alternate final solution, and this really isn't bad at all. Cut PVC pipe large enough for the wire to go through, up in say 12" length pieces. Now, slide them down the wires. The wire will still bend at the pipe joints, but will be protected from kitty. You could even leave it single piece where long runs are. sort of like creating a puzzle of pieces to follow the lay of the cable.

Lex

7. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Thanks all for the advice. I think I'll lay out new 12 guage wire (have to do it anyway in the new room) and try the bitter apple spray. If that doesn't work maybe I'll try some sort of conduit.

Patrick

P.S. We bought those sticky strips to keep her from scratching the couch... she just moved on to another part of the couch. All she did with the strips was lick them, get high, and take claw swips at us. Good Times.

8. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I guess that may prevent the cat from biting the cable, but won't help the cable itself [​IMG] My dog just damaged one of my cables with one bite, she ripped it apart and I had to join the both ends of the cable. Luckily enough she is afraid of going near where the fronts are, never touched the cables behind the rack for some strange reason, but she likes to go under the couch and chew on the rear cables. I am now more careful not to leave the cables on the carpet, I just hide them under..