1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cats (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Jun 21, 2018.

1. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I agree that this looks iffy at best. I do like musicals, but I never saw the Broadway show of this, which seemed both surreal and unpleasant. The one thing that gives me hope is director Tom Hooper, who has directed a number of things that I really like, including the very good miniseries Daniel Deronda from way back in 2002, as well as the movies The King's Speech, Les Miserables, and The Danish Girl. Based on Hooper's track record I'll see it, but.....???

Jake Lipson likes this.
  2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I just can't imagine that this movie will be anything other than painfully awful.

If by some miracle it gets good reviews, I'll see it, but they'll have to be radioactive levels of glowing!

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not a big musical fan, but, I'm looking forward to watching this in a Dolby Atmos theater.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  4. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I have always loved the music, but found the show mind bogglingly yawn inducing on Broadway and in the road show production. If the movie can add more story and visuals, it can only be an improvement. Otherwise as a show it makes a nice 2 CD set.

5. Message #105 of 109 Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I agree with liking Tom Hooper's work. I am a much, much bigger fan of Les Miserables than of Cats, and I thought he did a fantastic job as director of that film, which is great and was my favorite movie of 2012. I also loved The Danish Girl and liked The King's Speech. However, this year has given us two other films from directors I normally really like that just missed the mark. Richard Linklater with Where'd You Go, Bernadette and most recently Bill Condon with The Good Liar are way under par with their usual work. It would not surprise me if this completes that trifecta. I'd love to be wrong. We'll see.

Do you think Cats will get booked in Atmos theaters? I suppose it depends on how widespread Atmos support is in your area. It is opening on December 20, and we already know that Star Wars will have a lock on the biggest screens and all premium auditoriums at that time. For The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, I'm pretty sure Disney required a commitment from the theaters to book it in their biggest auditoriums for a month in order to get it. This is why my IMAX theater in Indiana, which also has 70mm capabilities, was unable to show The Hateful Eight, because they were booked solid with an IMAX 70mm print of The Force Awakens.

Jeff Adkins and benbess like this.
  6. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    The comedy bits in the trailer were horrible. Why does Corden need a Corden moment? Why does Rebel Wilson need to do slapstick? I just rolled my eyes at those moments. I've never seen the show but, I enjoy the album. The trailer is not convincing me that I want to spend a few hours of my time watching this movie. Maybe I'll just listen to the album.

Why do they always try and change ALW shows for the big screen? They tried to do this odd, talk some lines instead of sing on Phantom and it didn't work. Evita worked, IMO, because they didn't try and alter it much.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Variety now says that Cats will be ready in time to be considered for the Golden Globes after all:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/cats-movie-golden-globes-musical-1203410667/

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yes, one of my local Atmos theaters doesn't have Star Wars booked in it on December 20th, so I'm thinking "Cats" will play there.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

You don't think they might use that screen for the "Jumanji" sequel? It'll only be a week old at that point...