What's new

Cats (2019) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The other interesting thing about the trailer -- apart from the fact that it looks ridiculous -- is that they went and used Memory already.

On the one hand, it makes sense to use the most well-known and iconic song in the trailer.

On the other hand, it's the most well-known and iconic song. There's no topping it. So they've already revealed by far their best number in the trailer. So, what's left to be the calling card for the film?
A calling card is only a brief representation. If Memory was all there was to the show, the stage audiences would walk out as soon as it’s sung.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Never seen the show. It looks ...interesting?

Doubt that it's a theatre watch for me, but I'd probably give it a look on Netflix. Unless the reviews are stellar, then a big screen is worth the trip.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I love "Cats". The trailer looks different than the stage show, but quite wonderful. Fortunately there are plays, musicals, art exhibitions, and movies for everyone. I know some people don't get "Cats".

As for "The Lion King", I am disappointed that the stage show wasn't filmed. I've seen the animated version.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I love the production design in that trailer, especially the way the scale made the actors roughly the size of house cats.

But I wish they'd just stuck with costumes and creature makeup instead of that "digital fur". It really falls into that uncanny valley effect for me.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I love "Cats". The trailer looks different than the stage show, but quite wonderful. Fortunately there are plays, musicals, art exhibitions, and movies for everyone. I know some people don't get "Cats".

As for "The Lion King", I am disappointed that the stage show wasn't filmed. I've seen the animated version.
You and Hal Prince. I heard an interview that said he was asked to direct it, but didn’t get it at all. He thought it might be some allegory about 19th century politics but when he suggested this AL Webber just replied sheepishly that it was “just about cats”.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
That's not going to happen until the stage production cools off. But they already have a professionally filmed version with the original cast, which they recorded in summer 2016 before their departures. It will get released at some point, but they're waiting because they want as many people as possible to experience it live first. I suspect there will also be a movie movie at some point, but there's no rush on that.

I agree that Cats is not even close to my favorite show, but I don't think it's a situation where Universal said "Let's make a musical" and chose Cats. I think they said, "Let's make Cats" and it was never going to be anything other than Cats. So while I agree that there are other shows I would like to see get movies, I don't really think that Cats has anything to do with them not being made (although it could help others get made if it does well.) So I have to look at this as a positive. I do not begrudge Cats being made at all. It's not one-or-the-other.

All professional stage shows are filmed but they are mostly kept in the company's archives rather than getting a release on dvd. Of the 25 professional stage shows that I have been in,only one was ever released on disc.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Which is a shame, I would buy so many shows if they got released. Once they close on Broadway they should release them so we can continue to enjoy them. I really don’t think it would effect tours or revivals as much as they fear.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
wow!

my brain was thinking Benigni's Pinocchio. lol no no no! this looks stunning, that one wasn't.

blind buy for me in 4K/bluray set. won't see in theater

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Which is a shame, I would buy so many shows if they got released. Once they close on Broadway they should release them so we can continue to enjoy them. I really don’t think it would effect tours or revivals as much as they fear.
Plus there are a ton of people who might like to see them, but will never, ever make it to Broadway.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

The problem is that many Broadway shows can take several years before they are staged in other countries..In Australia it was over 5 years before we got to see BOOK OF MORMON. HAMILTON won't open here until 2021 - 6 years after it's Broadway premiere.. That is an extremely long time to wait. So don't expect any film version or dvd release for many years.Opera ,Ballet and many British stage shows can be seen in cinemas .Sometimes a couple of shows are shown every week. Many stage shows,including Broadway and West-End shows can also be legally streamed on-line. for a very small price. It has been many years since we have seen a stage show broadcast on television in Australia. Revivals are a huge money making event. This is also another reason that some shows will never make it to dvd or be filmed .

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

CATS took an incredible 38 years to be filmed. LES MISERABLES took 27 years to be filmed so don't expect HAMILTON and BOOK OF MORMON to be filmed for perhaps many decades.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
CATS took an incredible 38 years to be filmed. LES MISERABLES took 27 years to be filmed so don't expect HAMILTON and BOOK OF MORMON to be filmed for perhaps many decades.
Correct. Neither has played to an empty seat in New York since they opened, so there is absolutely no rush to bring those musicals to the screen. Much too much money to be made from Broadway runs and national and international tours of these smashes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There is a PBS Great Performances recording of Hamilton with that was filmed with the original Broadway cast in 2016 shortly before they started moving on to other projects. However it will likely sit on the shelf until sometime in the 2020s. And no word as to whether they try to sell it as a Fathom Event or streaming experience first, sort of like how "Sesame Street" has its first run on HBO now, and then shows up on PBS nine months later.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Correct. Neither has played to an empty seat in New York since they opened, so there is absolutely no rush to bring those musicals to the screen. Much too much money to be made from Broadway runs and national and international tours of these smashes.

What fairly recent Broadway super-hits got made into movies fastest?

"Rent" took 9 years.

Anything faster?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks