What's new

Cats (2019) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A movie version of Wicked has been, and continues to be, in development at Universal for a number of years. It is certain to come eventually. However, it doesn't really have anything to do with the film of Cats, since the projects exist independently of each other.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
One of the most boring shows I have ever seen and I am a massive fan of musicals
I buy all the original cast recordings. Many I play one or 2 times and put on the shelf. Occasionally I find one that “I can’t stop playing”. “Hamilton” was the last one of these. If it was an LP I am sure I would have warn it out.

The one a few years before was “Wicked”. My daughter and I played it constantly. We also loved the show. Live theatre is very expensive. We can’t afford to see a show more than once. I’d see “Wicked” again in a heartbeat.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I buy all the original cast recordings. Many I play one or 2 times and put on the shelf. Occasionally I find one that “I can’t stop playing”. “Hamilton” was the last one of these. If it was an LP I am sure I would have warn it out.

The one a few years before was “Wicked”. My daughter and I played it constantly. We also loved the show. Live theatre is very expensive. We can’t afford to see a show more than once. I’d see “Wicked” again in a heartbeat.

HAMILTON is one of the all- time greats in musicals. It is up there with such classics as A CHORUS LINE and BOOK OF MORMON. It is extremely rare to-day to be able to see a truly brilliant musical. There should be more of them.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Yes she is. Among other various credits,she played Desiree in A Little Night Music in London in the '90s and there is an out-of-print cast album of that production. She could easily have handled Memory and done a terrific job with that role.

Of that performance, Stephen Sondheim said: "I remember seeing Judi Dench do 'Send in the Clowns' and I thought: I had never heard that song before. It moved me in a way I've never been moved with that song before."

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How about those musicals which are much better on CD than on stage. We found Chorus Line very disappointing. We had played the record multiple times and heard reviews about how brilliant it was. Then there we were seeing a group of dancers on a bare stage — yawn!

We gave “Cats” two tries — once at the Wintergarden in New York and once when the touring company came to Toronto. We were bored to distraction again. Maybe we just don’t like plotless musicals where dance is the main reason to see them. (I used to make a sandwich in the next room in the ‘60s when the June Taylor dancers did their thing in variety shows!) I can say the same about “Dancin’”, “Fossie” and “Movin’ Out”.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We have given Cats on stage several chances and have loved it each and every time. Can’t wait to see it again, on state.

That look inside Cats, some one was talking about digital hair for the costumes. I don’t think the musical needs realistic cat costumes or performers who look like actual cats. Not sure what is planned here.

Judy was marvelous singing “Send in the Clowns.” If she’s cast as Grizabella, then she’s will be singing “Memories” like I’ve never heard it before. This is a song that has always required a big voice. But I’m open to new interpretations.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
After that inside look video and them mentioning realistic digital fur, I wonder if this is going to be similar to the new Planet of the Apes movies. Make them look like realistic cats that walk upright.

I’ve never been a Cats fan even though I enjoy many ALW shows. I’ll go see it because I’ll support most movie musicals. Just there are so many shows I’d rather see filmed instead of Cats. Hamilton has got to be a movie one day.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hamilton has got to be a movie one day.

That's not going to happen until the stage production cools off. But they already have a professionally filmed version with the original cast, which they recorded in summer 2016 before their departures. It will get released at some point, but they're waiting because they want as many people as possible to experience it live first. I suspect there will also be a movie movie at some point, but there's no rush on that.

Just there are so many shows I’d rather see filmed instead of Cats.

I agree that Cats is not even close to my favorite show, but I don't think it's a situation where Universal said "Let's make a musical" and chose Cats. I think they said, "Let's make Cats" and it was never going to be anything other than Cats. So while I agree that there are other shows I would like to see get movies, I don't really think that Cats has anything to do with them not being made (although it could help others get made if it does well.) So I have to look at this as a positive. I do not begrudge Cats being made at all. It's not one-or-the-other.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
How about those musicals which are much better on CD than on stage. We found Chorus Line very disappointing. We had played the record multiple times and heard reviews about how brilliant it was. Then there we were seeing a group of dancers on a bare stage — yawn!

We gave “Cats” two tries — once at the Wintergarden in New York and once when the touring company came to Toronto. We were bored to distraction again. Maybe we just don’t like plotless musicals where dance is the main reason to see them. (I used to make a sandwich in the next room in the ‘60s when the June Taylor dancers did their thing in variety shows!) I can say the same about “Dancin’”, “Fossie” and “Movin’ Out”.

A CHORUS LINE was so brilliant when I first saw it that I went back two days later and saw it again. It had a lasting effect on me-so much that I decided to go into show business as an actor part-time. I also saw the show on Broadway on two visits there.Such a pity that the film was disappointing. DANCIN was another much loved show on Broadway. I wasn't impressed with CATS when I first saw it but over the years I have grown to love it..I have watched the version filmed for dvd ,many times. It was also John MIlls final performance.I can't wait for the film to arrive.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

That's about what I expected it to look like. The issue is that people in cat costumes is a suspension of disbelief thing you can accept in theatre which doesn't quite work the same way with a photorealistic movie.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's about what I expected it to look like. The issue is that people in cat costumes is a suspension of disbelief thing you can accept in theatre which doesn't quite work the same way with a photorealistic movie.
Perhaps for you, but I can handle it. It appears they’ve taken the original costuming and updated it with some digital fur. From what I saw in the trailer, it looks quite good.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The other interesting thing about the trailer -- apart from the fact that it looks ridiculous -- is that they went and used Memory already.

On the one hand, it makes sense to use the most well-known and iconic song in the trailer.

On the other hand, it's the most well-known and iconic song. There's no topping it. So they've already revealed by far their best number in the trailer. So, what's left to be the calling card for the film?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I thought it looked fascinating and I’m not even a huge fan of the show. I’m not sure what people were expecting, something more like the new Lion King. IMO, that would look ridiculous and, at least this way the actors can poor some emotion into the film.

Memory made be the shows most popular song but, my favorite song has always been Macavity.

I didn’t realize this was coming out on the same day as The Rise Of Skywalker. That can’t be good for it’s box office outlook.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks