What's new

Press Release Cats (2019) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Supposedly there were scenes that were missing textures and live actor's hands that hadn't been CGed over. I'm sure contractually, the effects houses are obligated to deliver finished scenes if they want to be paid. It isn't a big deal to just cut them in and then do a refresh on the digital file being projected in theaters. I don't think they're trying to "fix" it through recutting. Just patch the holes that weren't complete for the launch date.

Taylor * D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
I went to see it last night. I enjoyed it for what it was; one of the most bizarre movie experiences in recent memory. I will say that the sound design was terrific (very immersive and fun) and the choreography was top-notch, but that's about it. I never really got used to the cat effects so it was next to impossible to suspend your disbelief for 2+ hours. It works really well on stage, but that obviously couldn't be translated to the screen. A real embarrassment for everyone involved; can Tom Hooper get by unscathed?

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I hope not. I don 't want to see any more musicals directed by Mr. Hooper. I hope he moves on to more appropriate endeavors.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The list of movies edited during initial release would be very long indeed. I am not sure there are many that were taken from "flop" to "classic" status by such edits.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The only time they "improve" it is when they go back and put back stuff that shouldn't have been cut in the first place; i.e. stuff that made the difference between making sense and not.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
No, but there are a lot of erect tails!

A fabulously bad movie, based on some of the most visually disgusting CGI ever rendered. Definitely one of the more interesting movie-going experiences I've had this year.

LOL
I really don’t understand why this needed to be made as the PBS version was bad enough yet slightly. watchable. ALW has the worse record of his work turned to film which is rather sad as his material other than Cats is totally filmic.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Saw the movie on New Year's Eve. I do feel it is a victim of piling on. Not to say that it doesn't have problems--there are plenty of "what the...." moments to warrant a strong thumbs down. For me, most of the problem is the source material. I saw "Cats" on broadway and NEVER understood its appeal. It's boring, confusing, and really only has a few memorable songs that get repeated ad nauseam. (If I recall correctly, "Memory" got partially sung twice before its full performance.) I honestly found it abysmal.

As for the digital fur, my sense is that they considered clothing the actors--as they do on stage--and thought "why not do it digitally?" And off they went thinking it was a cutting-edge idea. This would explain cats with hands, rings, wearing shoes, etc., they were actors in "digital costume." Had they, perhaps, shown the actors transforming into the digital cats, that would have helped ease the viewer into this world. But do drop you in this Alice in Wonderland digital LSD trip, was a mistake. It's just too weird without some context.

For me, the worst part was the acting pool. Jennifer Hudson just sings the same song, twice, by staring off to the side of the camera and emoting. Taylor Swift adds nothing to her role, except an odd "boob jiggle" in her less-than-impressive dance number. Jason Derulo was probably put in the film due to name recognition (with such hits as "Wiggle" and "Talk Dirty"), but showed how little musical theater he has in his resume. Judi Dench was okay as she continuously stared off into the distance, but she has no singing voice at her age so her final number was slightly tortuous. Ian McKellen adds some nice dramatic rifts in his reading/singing of his song, but by then I was so bored and I couldn't have cared any less. The only person who was truly engaging and talented was Francesca Hayward, who's career I hope has not been ruined by the film's response. Though smothered in cat fur, she has a beautiful singing voice and impressive dance numbers.

Lastly, I do feel bad for the digital team. They really did some imaginative and demanding work. The digital fur was impressive in its realism, movement with the actor/dancers body, and complexity. They did their job very well and shouldn't be lambasted for the poor decisions of the directing/producing team.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think I'm the audience for this movie. Never seen the play. But really think I am. :D

I keep thinking of 2002 Pinocchio when I hear about CATS. I hope CATS is better

The effects look sensational!

cats.jpg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had no interest in this but after listening to podcasts How Did the get Made and The Flophouse I cant wait until it comes to home video.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Release Date: 4/7/2020

CATS (2019)
Product Source:
Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal Pictures
Theatrical Release: 12/20/2019

Synopsis: Oscar®-winning director Tom Hooper reimagines Andrew Lloyd Webber's record-shattering musical. Starring James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson and introducing Royal Ballet principal Francesca Hayward. With a world-class cast of dancers showcasing styles from classical ballet to contemporary, hip-hop to jazz, street dance to tap, this film reimagines the stage musical for a new generation. You will believe in the fun and magic of Cats.

BD Combo Pack Widescreen / Widescreen (61201961) : Disc 1 (Side A): Cats (2019)
Format: BD Combo Pack UPC: 1-9132-90967-9-6
Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 2
Street Date: 4/7/2020 PreOrder Date:
Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 51 Minutes
Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided)
Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single
Audio: English Dolby Atmos
French Canadian DTS Digital Surround 5.1
Latin Spanish DTS Digital Surround 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH
French Canadian
Latin Spanish

Edition: - Picture: Widescreen / Anamorphic Widescreen
Version: Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Color/B&W COLOR
Rating: PG CARA Rating: -
Bonus Features: • Includes Blu-ray, DVD and a digital copy of Cats (2019) (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.)
• 9 Lives: The Cast of Cats
• Singing Live
• Making Macavity
• A Director's Journey
• Making Music
• The Art of Dance
• Scaling Up
• A Little Magic
• The Dancers
• Cat School
• Feature Commentary with Director Tom Hooper

BD Combo Pack Widescreen / Widescreen (61201961) : Disc 2 (Side A): Cats (2019)
Format: BD Combo Pack UPC: 1-9132-90967-9-6
Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 2
Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided)
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Canadian Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Latin Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Canadian
Latin Spanish

Edition: - Picture: Widescreen / Anamorphic Widescreen
Version: Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Color/B&W COLOR
Bonus Features: • 9 Lives: The Cast of Cats
• Singing Live
• Making Macavity
• A Director's Journey
• Making Music
• The Art of Dance
• Scaling Up
• A Little Magic
• The Dancers
• Cat School

DVD Widescreen (61201957) : Disc 1 (Side A): Cats (2019)
Format: DVD UPC: 1-9132-90967-5-8
Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1
Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided)
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Canadian Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Latin Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Canadian
Latin Spanish

Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen
Version: - Color/B&W COLOR
Bonus Features: • 9 Lives: The Cast of Cats
• Singing Live
• Making Macavity
• A Director's Journey
• Making Music
• The Art of Dance
• Scaling Up
• A Little Magic
• The Dancers
• Cat School

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I think I'm the audience for this movie. Never seen the play. But really think I am. :D

I keep thinking of 2002 Pinocchio when I hear about CATS. I hope CATS is better

The effects look sensational!

View attachment 67882
The 2002 Pinocchio is one of the most mind-blowingly appalling celluloid atrocities ever made. That and Freddy Got Fingered. But they aren't as fun as CATS is. If you have a couple of stiff gin and tonics beforehand, you'll have almost a Showgirls experience. They sing! They dance! Badly! And to quote the great Tim Brayton: "It's an incrediblly horny movie". Tim said he hadn't loved a movie so much all year.

https://www.alternateending.com/2019/12/cats-2019.html

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The 2002 Pinocchio is one of the most mind-blowingly appalling celluloid atrocities ever made. That and Freddy Got Fingered. But they aren't as fun as CATS is. If you have a couple of stiff gin and tonics beforehand, you'll have almost a Showgirls experience. They sing! They dance! Badly! And to quote the great Tim Brayton: "It's an incrediblly horny movie". Tim said he hadn't loved a movie so much all year.

https://www.alternateending.com/2019/12/cats-2019.html
Freddy Got Fingered gets my vote for the worst film ever made.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ooh - a commentary. That'll be very interesting!

I'd love to know if Hooper recorded it before or after the movie hit screens...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks