Cathedral Ceiling Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by NickDiCe, May 15, 2006.

1. NickDiCe

NickDiCe Auditioning

I have added a 24 X 24 family room addition with a 16' Cathedral Ceiling with 7/12 interior pitch. I am debating on installing my surround speakers in the ceiling above my listening area and the rear speakers in the wall behind my listening area.

My question is should I just skip the surround speakers (which would be aproximately 12 feet above the listening area) and go with a vanilla 5.1 setup rather than trying to accomodate the 7.1 Format?

FYI the front speakers will be in the custom designed cabinet I am having built to house my seperates and the 60 inch lcd rear projection tv.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Whether or not you can benefit from a 7.1 set-up depends on your room and how it is laid out. They work best in larger rooms where the seating is a good distance from the rear wall. If you have your seating up against or near a back wall, you don’t really need a 7.1.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. NickDiCe

NickDiCe Auditioning

Thanks. My seating will be a good 4-6 feet from the rear wall. The problem is the ceiling directly above the rear of the seating area is about 10-12 feet high. I was thinking about using a Speakercraft AIM product for the the surrounds. Any thoughts?