What's new

Catfisch Cinema Home Wifi Upgrade (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't understand any of this shit. Network name and password. That's the extent of my understanding. My brain is already full of other useless stuff.
If you don’t know and don’t want to know any of this stuff, I bet you’ll be happier buying a standard router or consumer mesh kit :)

I think I’ve got the new AP working. It’s pretty easy overall. Plug it in, connect to its local wifi network, give it the existing wifi network name and password. That’s really all there is to it. And it’s got both an iPad app and its own internal web server config tool that are usable without subscription or additional hardware to do this.

But like the biggest “easy button” option for a big home update has got to buying a well reviewed consumer mesh kit, let it auto-configurate, and be done with it. I’m spending a fair bit of time learning the basics to figure out what to buy and how to connect it to make this setup easy.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm now puzzled that the fastest wifi I can get is about 100/100 Mbps. This is 3-6 feet from my AEBS router (in the basement) with no walls in between running speedtest or fast.com on an iPhone 13. The 100Mbps extender is disconnected so I'm seeing only the 802.11n wifi router. My wired speed tests at 600 - 800 Mbps as it should.

I hope this means that my nigh-decade old router is not doing wifi very well and replacing it will do wonders. I fear it means that local congestion makes it impossible to get >100 Mbps wifi no matter what.

IMG_2038.jpeg

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I'm now puzzled that the fastest wifi I can get is about 100/100 Mbps. This is 3-6 feet from my AEBS router (in the basement) with no walls in between running speedtest or fast.com on an iPhone 13. The 100Mbps extender is disconnected so I'm seeing only the 802.11n wifi router. My wired speed tests at 600 - 800 Mbps as it should.

I hope this means that my nigh-decade old router is not doing wifi very well and replacing it will do wonders. I fear it means that local congestion makes it impossible to get >100 Mbps wifi no matter what.

View attachment 125034
That’s normal wifi speed for an 802.11n router. (I think 300Mbps is the theoretical limit for “n”.) I thought your AEBS was the latest AC version. Is it not?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
To add to me above comment… go into the airport app and see if your AEBS is set up for B, G, N, or AC wifi or a combination. I don’t remember right now if you can set it for N/AC or just N or just AC. It’s worth looking at any rate to make sure you don’t have a self-imposed bottleneck.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Moved the EAP to the living room, connecting it as extender and also passthrough to the network switch that breaks out ethernet to the aTV, TiVo, TV, Nintendo, blu-ray, and AVR. aTV streamed at HD, so checks out.

Moved back to bonus room to work as normal extender.

Overall, this is doable. I think the price and performance will be good -- comparable or better than eero-class purchase. But the aesthetics leave much to be desired. But I think it's tolerable. (If I could properly wall mount (or ceiling mount) APs, that would be perfect. But that's not realistic for me. I'm not going to tear up my walls, fish new line, and then do the repair and painting work.)

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
It's the AC version, the monolith. Airport Utility doesn't give any info about whether it's setup for N, AC or whatever.
View attachment 125035
Ok. I couldn’t remember if the Airport utility was that granular. For some reason I thought it was but it’s been a number of years since I used one. I still have two of the monolith AC versions and two of the last year Expresses packed away in the HT closet.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
I never got anywhere even close to N speeds, to say nothing of AC speeds on mine because the internet was garbage where we lived and was usually 3Mbps all the way down to dial-up speeds.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you want a good (but fairly expensive), new, wifi-6 router to replace that old AirPort Monolith, I could certainly recommend whichever ASUS model -- I currently use their RT-AX86U in a small apt myself (and used their much more expensive, 6-yo flagship model alone to service a modest-sized, 3-story home before), but looks like Wirecutter likes the RT-AX88U a fair bit better though it's also $50 more (at ~$300)...

But maybe that's overkill for you though...

_Man_

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve come up with an Omada system that will work (and maybe be overkill) for my home but is still priced like a higher-end consumer mesh system. (Power tally because the POE switch is 61W max.)

My system is relatively simple so I can configure everything manually. But with 3-4 switches, I’m thinking just spend up and get the configurator tool and hopefully save some trouble long term.

I could save $140 if I skip the Omada controller and get a $60 5-port POE switch (that isn’t Omada compatible). This gear isn’t WiFi 6 capable, which Dave and John say isn’t important for home use.

DeviceQtyUnit PriceCostPower (W)
TP-Link EAP 235 Wall3$60$18029.4
TP-Link EAP 225v3 Ceiling1$60$6012.6
TP-Link ER605 Router1$60$60
TP-Link 8-port POE Switch TL-SG2210P1$110$110
TP-Link OC200 Controller1$90$905
$50047

I had to do an updated diagram of my network to understand how it would work and make sure I would be ok on ports and switches.

I’m going to think on this before I fully commit. But I need to buy the POE switch to see if that works — nothing in my home wiring that prevents it. And if I do that, I might as well order everything. Becuase I can return it all if I don’t need it. And I don’t have to open it up initially as I figure it out.

1642286185933.png

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
IF you want a good (but fairly expensive), new, wifi-6 router to replace that old AirPort Monolith, I could certainly recommend whichever ASUS model -- I currently use their RT-AX86U in a small apt myself (and used their much more expensive, 6-yo flagship model alone to service a modest-sized, 3-story home before), but looks like Wirecutter likes the RT-AX88U a fair bit better though it's also $50 more (at ~$300)...

But maybe that's overkill for you though...

_Man_
I'm going to doublecheck the consumer mesh systems. But I'm interested in getting away from big-router wifi system because the location for the main router is literally in the basement rafters. It's under the floor from the living room space and three walls from the theater seating.

I could rearrange things to move the router to the first floor and put some access points in other rooms. But it's still putting the main router in a corner one or two walls from the living room couch.

So, various options doable. But I'm talking myself into the overkill prosumer solution.

Router.jpg

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Dave Upton and @John Dirk
Can I get >400 Mbps wifi with 802.11ac (wifi 5)? It seems 802.11ax (WiFi 6) is needed to get wifi above 500 Mbps.

I’m ok not being buzzword compliant. But if getting good quality AP’s actually hinders performance because they’re not WiFi 6, that would be sad outcome. If I’m spending $400+ for wifi for the next five years, do I want to invest in wifi 5 if that’s straight up capping me at a slower speed than wifi 6?

Appreciate any clarifications. :)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Current WC suggestions I’m comparing to:
Asus CT8. $400
WiFi 6, 2 satellites. $250 to add units.
I could make it work. But I think it would be $650 with a third unit to serve the whole home well.
Amazon product

TP-Link Dec S4. $130
WiFi 5. 3 satellites. $55 to add units.
Tempting. I could do this with four or five units for under $250. The one pause is the review comment is it maxes out around 400 Mbps wifi and I‘m hoping to exceed that. But, this is a super interesting kit.
Amazon product

Netgear Nighthawk M83. $400
Wifi 6. 3 satellites. $200 to add units
Solid combo. I could make it work for $400. Wifi would suffer in guest bedrooms but could be acceptable trade.
Amazon product

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@Dave Upton and @John Dirk
Can I get >400 Mbps wifi with 802.11ac (wifi 5)? It seems 802.11ax (WiFi 6) is needed to get wifi above 500 Mbps.

I’m ok not being buzzword compliant. But if getting good quality AP’s actually hinders performance because they’re not WiFi 6, that would be sad outcome. If I’m spending $400+ for wifi for the next five years, do I want to invest in wifi 5 if that’s straight up capping me at a slower speed than wifi 6?

Appreciate any clarifications. :)
I believe the speed cap you are referring to is on the 2.4Ghz band. The 5Ghz band is capable of theoretical speeds up to 3.5 Ghz. Of course real world speeds will be much less dependent on any number of factors.

This may help

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchellmdm8
Recent bookmarks