Catcher In The Rye

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jim Williams, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Does anyone know if there is a specific reason why this great literary classic has never been made into a film?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Because the Salinger family don't want it to? That'd be my guess.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I don't know how it could be, since it was such a perspective-subjective book. Great, but it would be tough to adapt.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Any film version would have to either significantly alter the narrative of the book, downplay the emotional arc of the lead, or severely downplay both.
    Besides, Salinger's never been a big fan of the movies.

If you want a movie with a similiar emotional resonance, check out Royal Tenenbaums

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I don't think Holden Caulfield would like that very much. [​IMG]

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

AFAIK, J.D. Salinger is still alive.

This book would be extremely difficult to accurately translate. The problem with some books is the amount of internal monologue and narration. What takes 10 pages of a book might just be a few seconds in a movie after you remove all the extraneous descriptions and internal monologue. This causes the movie to suck in comparison.

The movie version of "Breakfast of Champions" sucks because the book goes off on tangents that can't be represented in a movie. The same problem would affect "Catcher in the Rye."

BTW, I heard that Taxi Driver was LOOSELY based on CitR.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Yeah, I am pretty sure Salinger is still alive. I remember hearing that he is a recluse and avoids almost all human contact.

8. andrew markworthy

If I remember correctly, Salinger has specifically refused to permit any adaptations of his book. Although you said it as a joke, Bill, Salinger gave your argument as one of his reasons.

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Bill is correct. Salinger is alive and does not want his novel turned into a movie.

He also is an eccentric recluse. Supposedly he's on some goofy diet where all he eats is red meat.

It's The Searchers which Taxi Driver is bassed off of.

10. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

There are some movies that either used the book or the Holden character as part of the plot. The recent movie The Good Girl with Jennifer Anniston is one. The 2001 movie Chasing Holden is another.

The problem of internal monologue has also plagued many of Steven Kings movies, especially the early ones. The Shining is a good example. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, it's been a long time since I read the book or saw the movie. In the book, the first 10 or 20 pages consist of Jack's "thoughts" while driving his car. In the movie, he's just driving his car. This takes place during the beginning credits (I think). In any case, the viewer gets nothing of the book here. I personally thought The Shining (the movie) was a very poor translation of a Steven King book. A very good one, The Green Mile.

================================================== ==========

Member Morgan Jolley,

Where or what is the Scootplex?

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Larry -

Look through the HTF meets pages. The ones involving Scooter (my father) should have some pics of the Scootplex. My bedroom is right above the Scootplex.

12. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

13. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I've had some thoughts regarding a movie version of The Catcher in the Rye, and I always felt the films of Woody Allen represented a good match of how I saw the book. Some of his films have great bits of narration and internal monologue so it could have worked fairly well. For some reason, I always saw it as a late 80's film with John Cusack as Holden.

Strange that Adam mentioned The Royal Tenenbaums (aside from the fact that I just started watching it earlier!) is that it's another movie that would match and I wouldn't mind seeing Anderson doing a film version. Both Anderson and Allen usually do more original films so I wouldn't expect to see a movie based on a book from either of them.

In addition, I doubt a movie version would ever happen since Holden expresses the fact that he HATES movies and I would think Salinger's thoughts would be along those lines.

14. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Royal Tenenbaums has a heavy Salinger flavor to it, but it's more in line with the Glass family stuff than Catcher.

Any filmed version of Catcher could only be a disappointment. I pray that no one ever gets the rights.

15. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

A Jerome David Salinger thread that also reflects on Steven King. [​IMG]

Jim

And I haven't had breakfast yet...

16. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Martin Teller wrote (post #14):

How many times can you say "flitty English teacher" in one movie?

Unless the film were set in the original 1940s social environment where it belonged, it would surely fall flat as a pancake.

17. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

Sorry 'bout that. It wasn't my intention upon starting the post; I just sort of wander and meander all over the place.

It would be unfair to compare the two writers in any way. One had one great book (which I love), and the other has a lifetime of work that has been a huge influence on society and modern culture.

larry mac

18. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

In answer to my own post I found this bit of trivia on the Internet Movie Database site: