Catcher in the Rye, why not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bergan Peters, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I'm re-reading catcher in the rye, again, and I can't believe that a movie was never made, why not? Is there no interest? I was surprised that a 60's movie was never even made.

2. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

I don't know much about J. D. Salinger, but do you honestly think he woulld want Hollywood to touch his masterpiece? And even if he did, would Catcher in the Rye even work as a movie?

3. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Some have said the same thing about JRR Tolkien. But it could work as a film, if he right person did it.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Oh dear God, I hope such a thing never comes to pass.

-Dave

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I didn't say that a film would be made, or that he wanted one to be made. Only that it could work with the right filmmaker. As for Tolkien, don't know what he originally thought. Only that some have said that about him.

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'd kinda like to see a Catcher in the Rye movie just to see the uproar it would cause... [​IMG]

8. andrew markworthy

If I remember correctly, JDS explicitly refused to let CITR be made into a movie.

I must add that IMHO CIRT is the most over-rated book of the 20th century. I read it as a teenager and thought at the time 'spoilt brat'. I re-read it in my thirties and felt just the same. I just cannot find anything endearing or free-spirited in the central character (I don't think it was helped by reading Kes before it - there was a kid with real problems who tries to break free).

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

No, no, no, no, no! This is a book, not a film! Leave it as such.

And come on...there are lengthy rants against movies in the book, talking about how actors never act like they do in real life.

And you just know someone would make it like they'd make Huck Finn-the drawn out dated dialogue put onto someone who can't do it.

10. Eric Dahl

Eric Dahl Auditioning

Two words:

WES ANDERSON

If anyone could do this movie right, it would be this man.

That and if they got Tobey Maguire to play Holden.

(All of the above is IMHO, of course.)

What do you guys think. Who would be your ideal director and/or Holden Caulfield?

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

98% of the book is an internal monologue from the main character... the actual events and dialogue aren't what make this a masterful book, it's the way the book shows the motivations of the main characters for doing what he does. If this was made into a movie, it would either be awkward (ala Lynch's "Dune") or oversimplified into a teen rebel movie which would totally eliminate the point.

12. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

13. Les Samuel

Les Samuel Stunt Coordinator

I adore this book. I am not an avid reader by any stretch of the imagination, in fact I don't read books which is sad. I own this though and every couple of years I read it again and I LOVE IT. I dunno if I'd ever see this if Greedywood made a movie out of it. I cannot say enough about this book though. Good ole Holden Caulfield [​IMG]

14. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I read Franny and Zoey extremely quickly (little more than a day), and loved it also. I've been waiting to read the other one (Seymour...)

Which other do you recommend Darren H?

15. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I could see the internal monologue working as a voice over, it would take someone stylish. I wouldn't let Wes Anderson Touch it though, he is talented, but his films are so dry and whatever the opposite of saturated color is, is what his films are. They have a very British look to them, if you know what I mean. The fact that HC talks about actors being phonies is why it would make such an ironic movie, because Hollywood IS phony. I personally am a HUGE Steven Soderbergh fan and would LOVE to see what he could do with this film, all of his films have INCREDIBLE style, and that is what this film would need. I second the Tobey Maguire character as that is what I imagine HC looking like, very thin, very average looking, but interesting to look at.

Then again it could be a huge disaster, a lot of things in the book require to you visualize what is going on, and Hollywood would try and pander to an audience, the thing that makes me sickest, the fact that Holden is a teenager does NOT mean that this movie would need to be a teen movie, which disgusts me. On 2nd though, leave it alone Hollywood, you only get one shot a movie really.

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    If I wanted my book to be made into a movie, I would return more phone calls. Also, I would not have changed my name from J.D. Salinger to Thomas Pynchon. Then I would not have changed it again to Ken McAlinden and moved to Livonia, Michigan. Why should I let a bunch of phonies from Hollywood ruin my book. Especially considering what they did to good old Ring Lardner Jr.. [​IMG]
    Regards,

17. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Why not? Because Salinger won't let Hollywood near his book with a ten foot pole. He abhores Hollywood and the movies.
    It's definately not going to happen while he is alive, and odds are, he will make sure it can't happen (if he already hasn't) after his death.
    If your a fan of Catcher in the Rye, read it again. That's a good as it will ever get. It's a damn good book.
    Why choke it with a movie?

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Well, if you really want to hear about it, a movie'd just be crummy. I could just see little Phoebe being all cute as hell, and then some Hollywood phony would louse it all up with something cornball.
    [​IMG]
    -Dave
    P.S Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters is fantastic.

19. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

I'm curious where the assumption that every notable book must be adapted into a film comes from.

Truly if ever there was a book that should remain that way, it's Catcher in the Rye.

20. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Ike, until recently Salinger had only published Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey (two novellas in one collection), Raise High the Roof Beam Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction (two novellas in one collection), and Nine Stories. Soon, however, Hapworth 16, 1924 will be published in hardback. If I recall correctly, it was originally published in The New Yorker around the same time as his other stories. I'm not sure why he has decided to officially publish it now.

If you liked Catcher and Franny & Zooey, then you'll like his other writing, too, especially Nine Stories. Two of the stories in particular, "Teddy" and "A Perfect Day for Bananafish," are essential to knowing Salinger.