What's new

'Catch-Up' titles - Released HD-DVDs that have yet to get a Blu-ray release (US Only) (3 Viewers)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Now that The Last Starfighter is out, we're one step closer to Streets of Fire - although Universal said it's not yet in the cards the last time I emailed them (a month ago).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Considering how much work was done on these titles to get them to HD-DVD I am really amazed that they studios are being so lazy not just put these onto Blu. Still waiting for my last holdout, Stardust.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering how much work was done on these titles to get them to HD-DVD I am really amazed that they studios are being so lazy not just put these onto Blu.
I think the slow pace has more to do with how well they think some titles will sell (since they can probably make an educated guess based on HD DVD sales) and not wanting to flood the market with hundreds of catalog titles at one time.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/277999/catch-up-titles-released-hd-dvds-that-have-yet-to-get-a-blu-ray-release-us-only/150#post_3608931
I think the slow pace has more to do with how well they think some titles will sell (since they can probably make an educated guess based on HD DVD sales) and not wanting to flood the market with hundreds of catalog titles at one time.
This is second-hand, but my understanding is that most catalog titles sold poorly on HD DVD, which makes it unlikely that we'll be seeing things like Streets of Fire or Timecop on Blu anytime soon. But I've been wrong before.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They also need to (1) author the BD and (2) get a slot on the BD production line.

And there are more competing resources, making it necessary to schedule minutiously and make choices.

Cees

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Other factors also come into play, such as working on new catalog titles that never made it to HD-DVD. It'll be interesting to see how Universal's acquisition of rights to distribute Genius will effect getting the Weinstein titles out.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Here's hoping that release "later" rather than "sooner" is facilitating some new supplemental features, too. How 'bout a new, HD 15th anni documentary on Apollo 13 for next year?
(FWIW: My understanding, Brandon, is that Vivendi Entertainment acquired Genius Products, Inc. not Universal.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118008607.html?categoryid=20&cs=1
Remember, Vivendi Entertainment parent Universal Music Group Distribution is still owned by the French and is completely separate from NBC/Universal.)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/277999/catch-up-titles-released-hd-dvds-that-have-yet-to-get-a-blu-ray-release-us-only/150#post_3608931
That's all well and good but it doesn't explain why they advertised "Stardust" as a coming soon title quite a long time ago. An ad that was inside a Blu-ray disc, although, I forget which one.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben /forum/thread/277999/catch-up-titles-released-hd-dvds-that-have-yet-to-get-a-blu-ray-release-us-only/150#post_3608945
This is second-hand, but my understanding is that most catalog titles sold poorly on HD DVD, which makes it unlikely that we'll be seeing things like Streets of Fire or Timecop on Blu anytime soon. But I've been wrong before.
I agree that this is the most likely reason, but a nonsensical one, regardless. I mean, doesn't Blu-ray have a much greater market share right now than HD DVD ever had?
It seems like Universal could stagger their remaining titles out over the next year or two and I'd think they'd sell reasonably well ... as long as they were reasonably priced.
With Warner unloading their catalog titles at an incredible rate, I have a hard time believing that some of their stuff is selling any better or worse than Streets of Fire, Timecop or whatever else Uni is currently withholding.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I agree that this is the most likely reason, but a nonsensical one, regardless. I mean, doesn't Blu-ray have a much greater market share right now than HD DVD ever had?
It seems like Universal could stagger their remaining titles out over the next year or two and I'd think they'd sell reasonably well ... as long as they were reasonably priced.
With Warner unloading their catalog titles at an incredible rate, I have a hard time believing that some of their stuff is selling any better or worse than Streets of Fire, Timecop or whatever else Uni is currently withholding.
Yes Blu-ray has a bigger market share now than HD DVD did, but catalog titles typically still don't sell well on Blu-ray today, and not enough to justify re-releases that really sold poorly the first time out. Titles like The Road Warrior sold fewer than 10,000 copies combined sales from both formats in the first year out. Some the the titles on this list sold under 1000 copies. This is why we haven't seen a lot of "bigger" catalog titles from Universal like Jaws yet.

I suppose its because there's only 1000 catalogue fans ad people of older generations who've upgraded to BD, which is sad. It worries me that people still talk about the core blu ray demographic as PS3 owners, because that doesn't do justice to the fact that its just the best quality available in home video at the moment. I think a lot of people might be deterred by the fact that they have to upgrade to a big-screen TV to see a benefit outside the truer colours.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Bradley-E /forum/thread/277999/catch-up-titles-released-hd-dvds-that-have-yet-to-get-a-blu-ray-release-us-only/150#post_3624725
Universal will release Atonement and Pride & Prejudice on Blu ray Jan 26.
Source: DVD EMPIRE
Thanks for the heads up! List has been updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks