What's new

'Catch-Up' titles - Released HD-DVDs that have yet to get a Blu-ray release (US Only) (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It looks like about 12 titles have streeted or been announced since the list was compiled in late October, about eight weeks ago. That's about 1.5 titles per week, or six per month. With I think about 153 titles on the list, IF that release rate continues--and making the big assumption that all of those exclusives will hit BD--we're looking at about two years before the HD DVD exclusives list evaporates . . .?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Paul.S said:
It looks like about 12 titles have streeted or been announced since the list was compiled in late October, about eight weeks ago. That's about 1.5 titles per week, or six per month. With I think about 153 titles on the list, IF that release rate continues--and making the big assumption that all of those exclusives will hit BD--we're looking at about two years before the HD DVD exclusives list evaporates . . .?
Not unreasonable, especially in the case of the previously HD-DVD only Universal.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm just happy to be enjoying those HD DVDs now (and almost all at fire sale prices). But I do remember the wait for titles to come out on SD DVD to replace some worn VHS copies and how frustrating it was at times--so I can empathize.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Here's another vote for Streets of Fire. Would love to have an HD copy of this with lossless audio. Heck, even high bitrate lossy audio would be a step up and the video would have to be a huge improvement over the DVD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Jesse Blacklow said:
for March 24.
Since The Kite Runner never officially made it out on HD-DVD it's not on the list. However, thanks for the heads up on the titles.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
The only two titles I am "crying over" is Star Trek season 1 and Forbidden Planet.
I actually have the hybrid DVD/HD-DVD Trek season 1 and that, plus Forbidden Planet are the only reason why I might seek out an inexpensive used HD-DVD player.
I am mulling over picking up Forbidden Planet HD-DVD.
I am reasonably sure this will soon come out on blu-ray but I don't want to risk it. It is one of my favorite movies.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Michael Rogers said:
The only two titles I am "crying over" is Star Trek season 1 and Forbidden Planet.
I actually have the hybrid DVD/HD-DVD Trek season 1 and that, plus Forbidden Planet are the only reason why I might seek out an inexpensive used HD-DVD player.
I am mulling over picking up Forbidden Planet HD-DVD.
I am reasonably sure this will soon come out on blu-ray but I don't want to risk it. It is one of my favorite movies.
Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits says Forbidden Planet is one of the titles that's supposed to be released in 2009. It's listed in the Dec 3 Rumor Mill post.
The ST:TOS releases are a mystery, since we keep on hearing rumors, but nothing concrete. Technicolor, who helped with the restoration, told at least one source that Toshiba was a major financer of the effort, which further throws things out of wack.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Based on off the record conversations I had during the format war I can verify that info. Remember the phaser HD DVD remote promo? Their press conference at CEDIA 2 years ago also had a Star Trek theme. When Toshiba decided to pull out of the format war they pulled their funding for this. Looking at sales numbers for it I think it will be a while before we see it on BD.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Jesse Blacklow said:
Wait, what?
I can't believe you made those bolded statements with a straight face. Here's each month of the last two years, with the number of releases:
Jan-0729
Feb-0728
Mar-0714
Apr-0718
May-0724
Jun-0720
Jul-0716
Aug-0713
Sep-0724
Oct-0756
Nov-0732
Dec-0730
Jan-0829
Feb-0827
Mar-0820
Apr-0840
May-0830
Jun-0845
Jul-0869
Aug-0867
Sep-08101
Oct-08103
Nov-08129
Dec-0868 (and counting)
In what world can an average increase of 157% in the number of releases--with most months seeing a doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling of year-to-year figures--be considered a "slowdown of releases across all of the studios" and "no apparent rush to get as many titles out"?!
All of the claims regarding competition during the format war causing the Blu-ray side to do such great things for the consumer are a bunch of hooey. The format war ending and the market growing as a result of consumers now being comfortable to get involved when more companies started releasing software and more manufacturers started making players competing for the much larger market is what I always wanted. Blu-ray player prices have dropped like a rock with all of the competition for the growing market and software is being released more frequently. The only good thing about that format war is that if there is ever another consumer audio video format released, a single consumer electronics company won't try to buck the industry and proceed on its own like Toshiba did. Competition among all manufacturers to build the best players at the best price and release the best software at the best price for a single format is the only competition that makes sense for this particular market type.
After DVD and CD being adopted by virtually 100% of households in the US despite no competing format, I didn't think we would see such nonsense as SACD/DVD-A and Blu-ray/HD DVD again, but we did.
Chris

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow that made me have "format war" flashbacks.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Pretty please can we pretty please keep this thread focused on Brandon's list, updates to same and speculation on when current exclusives may hit BD pretty please?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks