What's new

CatCables (1 Viewer)

I just picked up a sweet new Cinepro 3k6II power amplifier which has Balanced XLR inputs. I'm thinking of taking advantage of this feature for improved sound over the RCA connection (?)
Here's my dilema: I recently purchased a set of (5)1m Silver Cats CatCables, and do not want them to go to waste. My questions are :
1) Anyone interested in an 1M AMP-5 set of SilverCats ?
2) Where else in my system would a quality cable such as this be put to good use ?
3) Is Balanced XLR a worthwhile move, ?
4) Any better values out there for the XLR cables than CatCables ?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Craig does your pre amp support XLR cables? If not then going from RCA to XLR isn't going to give yuo any benefit. If both support XLR there *might* be some benefit but I'm not sure on that.
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

PomingF

Second Unit
Craig, Andrew's correct in the sense that unless you go balanced from source to amp or running long lengths of interconnects you're not likely to benefit from switching. My Bryston 7B's has both inputs and I can't tell much difference even with 10 ft interconnects. In fact my Line 3 preamp keeps the balanced & unbalanced signals separated (no XLR out's with RCA in's & vice versa). That said I may be heading the XLR way in one of my music system with an incoming amp and is considering getting some XLR Ultra SilverCats, that is if Doug would make them. :)
Finally to answer your question, you probably won't find better deals for pure silver I/C's than the SilverCats whether it's RCA or XLR. Btw, I own Doug's first pair of 10 ft XLR SilverCats.
PF
[Edited last by PomingF on October 07, 2001 at 11:09 AM]

Craig does your pre amp support XLR cables? If not then going from RCA to XLR isn't going to give yuo any benefit. If both support XLR there *might* be some benefit but I'm not sure on that.
>>>Andrew, Yes... both the pre/pro and Power amp will have XLR inputs. Do you feel it's worth going with or not worth the effort/$$$$

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, I really don't think the advantage is there to warrant this change. Generally, your real advantage of XLR type connections are for long runs where interference is of larger concern, such as in an industrial or other heavily electronic facility where interference runs rampid. With the Silvercats, you have a very high quality 75 ohm RCA connector. The signal conductor contact point has dielectric shielding from the ground, and ground and signal conductor are maintained by totally separate wires. No shield ground involved. This gives you excellent fairly noise free conductivity, and maximum signal conductivity.
If you feel at some point you really want to make this change anyway, then I could retrofit your Silvercats with XLR connectors. Of course, there would be a cost involved and you may loose up to an inch of length. But no need to sell your wires, if that's the decision you make. Right now, I think I would have to order more XLRs to complete your order. These aren't big sellers for me, so I don't overstock on XLR connectors.
Sure, if you were starting from scratch, XLR connections are a nice way to go. Especially if you have an amp where you need to utilize both RCA or unbalanaced, and XLR or balanace connections, as I do myself. But in general, no real sonic benefits to the change.
Nice new amp too! Congrats! :)
Doug
CATCables
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Doug,
Thanks for your honest response. I think I'll stick with what I have if all there will be a discernable difference.
I'd rather direct the $$$ for cables or equipment elsewhere.
BTW, I'm very happy with the SilverCats. I believe I was one of your very early customers.
Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks