Catcables S-video cable : any opinions?? Bettercables a better product?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRH, Aug 31, 2001.

1. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I'm looking to buy a new s-video cable for my Direct Tv system and was interested in either of these two cables. I've seen catcables mentioned favorably but saw no opinions on the s-video cable. There are, however, many positive reviews on the bettercables s-video cable. Anyone have a suggestion which I should buy?? Thanks a lot.

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I just ordered a 3 meter bettercables s video this morning to try out. The catcable was considerably more and I don't think the design difference will yield an improved picture.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I havne't yet ordered my new S-Video cable to replace the AR one I'm using now but when I do it will be the catcable one. Why? Well I own several sets of their audio cables and I'm always impressed with the build quaility on these cables and the level of customer service they provide. I'm not going to coment on visual differences b.t the two since I havne't compared the two (not sure anyone has yet?) but I can honestly say I'd have no problem recomending trying them.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

4. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

I replaced my stock in-the-box S-video cable from my Sony DVP-550D DVD player with a BetterCables Silver Serpent cable, and the picture improvement was very noticable over the stock cable. Brighter colors, more definition (that even seemed like better resolution), and blacker blacks. I had thought that the old cable provided a good picture, but the improvement with the Silver Serpent from BetterCables was so noticable that even my wife commented on it!

5. Brian Corr

Give me a week or so and I should have an answer. I also ordered a 3M quadcat from catcables.

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Great Brian, I'll look forward to hearing your opinion on the cable.

7. Chuck Blair

Chuck Blair Agent

I have both the Better Cables Silver Serpent series .5m s-video cable and the Catcables s-video .5m cable. I did some blind tests between the cables using the dual s-video outputs from my Pioneer Elite DV-37 and came to this conclusion: no discernible difference between the two cables. Go with price (not sure which is cheaper) or looks, as you prefer, but don't worry about the quality, both will do very well, noticeably better than lower end cables, which I also tested (with Acoustic Research and lower end Monster cables). I also have a standard .5m s-video cable from Better Cables but did not test against the Silver Serpent cable. I finally compared both cables to a more expensive Acoustic Zen cable and thought the Acoustic Zen might be just a tad better (for detail, not color), but it was too close to really call, and not exactly a fair comparision since the Zen cable is 2 meters (and retails for $120).

8. Brian Corr

That's good to hear Chuck. I kind of expected both cables to perform admirably. I needed 2, so I thought why not get one of each!

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Chuck,
    Thanks for the reply. How were the connectors on the two cables? Did either of them fit better than the other into your equipment?

10. Chuck Blair

Chuck Blair Agent

Again, as far as the connectors go, I couldn't choose one over the other, both fit snugly for S-video cables. Some s-video cables I've tried are too loose and pull out very easily.

11. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Brian Coor,
    Just thought I'd revisit this thread to see if you had recieved your quadcats yet and whether you've had a chance to compare bettercables with the quadcats?? Thanks a lot.

12. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Brian,
    Sorry about the mis-spell on the last name. :)

13. Brian Corr

Not yet.
    I received the catcable on thursday but it was...gulp....defective. The build quality is excellent but it has a short somewhere. I talked to Doug and he is sending me one out on Monday to replace it.
    Doug felt awful becuase I told him I was going to compare it to the BC cable when I ordered it. No big deal, sh1t happens!
    The BC cable is due to be delivered on Monday.
    I should be able to comment by the end of the week.
    I ordered them the same day so I guess you could give catcable points for their prompt delivery. hehe
    I am confident that both cables will perform great once I can compare them. We shall see...