CatCables.com - Tigress Component Cable review(compared the BCSS and Monster)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg S, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Component Cable:
    Previous cable being used a 2m Monster Video 3 and a 2m Bettercables Silver Serpent.
    Excellent build quality. Nice heavy duty feel but w/o too much weight even considering its 4m length.
    The connectors fit nice and snug and were easy to deal with unlike the death grip the Monster had on my TV (it took 20 minutes to get that b**ch off -- what a pain in the ass!!). When I was checking out the cable I happened to be watching the new Terminator Special Edition I picked up this week and was able to see a definite difference almost immediately.
    The monster cable had always looked good (or so I thought) but the picture had seemed slightly fuzzy and dim. WIth the new catcable it was bright, clear and vibrant. This was easy to see since Terminator is such a dark movie with not a lot of brilliant/bright colors. The scenes in the movie were much crisper and easier to define. It was a welcomed changed.
    I like this cable a lot and rate its ability just as high as BetterCables Silver Serpent I used to have. However I have to give the edge to the catcable for the following reasons --
    (1) The connectors are much nicer IMHO and with locking screw on barrel it makes life very simple and secure. There are no worries that this will accidentally come off your set when that SVS starts to bring the house down [​IMG]
    (2) There was really only one reason why I returned the BCSS and that was the "flimsiness" I felt by having the "bare" component wires hanging out of the silver serpent mesh -- the catcable is much nicer in this respect as each cable is in its own "thick" covering and then bundled together inside another. This gave me that "warm fuzzy" feeling of a nice heavy duty cable thats gonna last. I felt the same about the Monster due to its thick covering but its performance is not on par with that of the BCSS or CatCables versions. All in all very nice cable, but is it worth the money??? YES when compared to the cost of a Monster or BCSS the CC cable is an excellent choice and I recommend it completely.
    Greg

2. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hi Greg
    Thanks for the review. I have been seriously looking into
    replacing my monster component cable(4m), and was looking
    at the bettercables vs. catcables reviews very hard. I like the looks and build of both cables but there is just something
    about the cats that I really like. I think Doug will be
    getting an order this week. I was also looking at the
    Thundercat digitwist and the coolcat sub cable. Again, thanks
    for the review.
    BTW, I saw in your review of the silvercats that you got
    the rcas upgraded to wbts, how much extra was that?
    Thanks again.
    Josh

3. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Josh,
    Thanks for the comments. I can definitely tell you you will like either the BCSS or the Tigress better than the monster - overall just a better picture in general.
    Between the 2 (BCSS and Tigress) I think it all matters as to the "feel" the cable gives you -- ie like I felt the BCSS was a little more flimsy due to its lack of covering on the individual component cables and this is why I chose cats.
    If you wait about 2-3 days I will have a Thundercat in my possession and will be happy to post my thoughts on it as well.
    On the upgrade to WBTs -- email Doug on this as it is not a cheap proposition. The connectors are expensive but Doug may be able to do something if you are ordering several cables (don't know). All in all I really like the Silvercats a lot and they look very COOOOOLLLLL!!!
    By the end of the week I will have the rest of my cable order and the system should include the following items:
    2m(pair) Silvercats w/WBTs
    4m(3 individual) Silvercats w/WBTS
    2m Coppercats (4 pairs)
    5ft Thundercat Digitwist cable
    4m Tigress Component Cable
    4m Quadcat SVIDEO Cable
    2m Quadcat SVIDEO Cable
    4ft Special Custom Made DVDA cable(based on the BlueTiger cable design) with upgraded connectors
    So as you can see I will have several different cables from Doug and should be able to give good feedback on them.
    Greg

4. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Greg:
    Thanks for the nice review on both Cats products. I've been using the Cats (Silver & Thunder) in my music system for a while now and can tell you they are definitely in line with some higher end brands such as Kimber, MIT & DHLab.
    I am currently looking at Doug's Ultra Silver and probably his debut speaker cables down the line hopefully soon. [​IMG]
    PF

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

as an owner of the silvercats,copper cats and the black cat digital cable I know exactly what you mean with regard to the locking RCA's
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

6. Nathan Ivey

Nathan Ivey Auditioning

I also have the Tigress 2 meter.
    The things that I like the most are for one the locking cable design. Another is the way the ground and signal are completely seperate, the signal and the ground are completely isolated.
    I had the Monster M1000 video cables I had planned to da a strict comparison but I saw an immediate improvement. The difference was so much that I elected to not even bother with trying the monster again.
    I think that all the monster cables have a grainy look and the Tigress eliminate all of this.
    I think I may be in line for the silver speaker wire next [​IMG]!