What's new

Catalog titles NOT in need of SE treatment (1 Viewer)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Which of the following titles would you say are worth buying right now, as opposed to waiting to see if an SE comes out later?
These are most of the catalog titles from my wish list, and I'm not in any big rush to get any of them. It's just that I'm not fond of the idea of "upgrading" later. :)
I'm just looking for some opinions, so feel free to comment away:
Being There (1979)
Blazing Saddles (1974) *
Citizen Kane (1941) ** current SE confirmed
China Syndrome, The (1979)
Ghostbusters (1984) ** current SE confirmed
Groundhog Day (1993) ** current SE confirmed
House of Games (1987)
Ice Storm, The (1997)
Maltese Falcon, The (1941)
Nine to Five (1980)
Pink Floyd The Wall (1982) current SE confirmed
Pulp Fiction (1994) *
Raising Arizona (1987) *
Spanish Prisoner, The (1997)
Young Frankenstein (1974) ** current SE confirmed
Notes
* Have I heard right that there might be an SE coming soon?
** I believe there is already an SE out, but could be wrong.
[edited for clarity, I hope :)]

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
So you're saying all of these titles do not deserve an SE? Or are you wondering which ones you should buy without waiting for an SE? Oh wait, you want to know which are SE's? :) If you like a movie, go ahead and purchase it. Ground Hog Day recently came out as an SE.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
All of the following on your list are full blown special editions:
- Citizen Kane
- Ghostbusters
- Pink Floyd: The Wall
- Young Frankenstein (all it needs is an anamorphic transfer)
Also, I don't think The Ice Storm and Nine To Five will be re-released anytime soon.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Matthew!

FWIW, I agree with you about those releases, but what leads you to the conclusion that Ice Storm and Nine to Five won't be give the SE treatment? My thinking is that they weren't popular enough movies the first time around and (in the case of Nine to Five in particular) the talent would be too hard (read: expensive) to corral for commentaries.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Both The Ice Storm and Nine To Five can be had for $15 at most stores and include anamorphic transfers and some extras (trailers and television spots mostly). The Ice Storm doesn't have a big enough audience to devote a re-release and FOX would've made Nine To Five an SE from the get-go if it was ever going to be one.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I say don't bother redoing anything out there that has a great anamorphic transfer. There's too many catalog titles not yet available to waste space on studio release schedules on things that are already sufficient. Case in point, did we really need a SE of The Net?
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks