What's new

Catalog titles and B&M's Forget it. (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I should know better. CC and the Fog , all out, what they have 3 copies? No Return of the Living Dead. BB had Fog at $14.99. No ROTLD. Why do I bother?

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. Catalog stuff has been more and more difficult to find over the last few months. I had to drive to 2 Best Buys, 2 Circuit Citys, 1 MediaPlay, and 1 Borders and I still didn't get everything I was looking for. And after all of those stores, I'm still without "Teen Wolf/Teen Wolf Too" and "Anaconda: Superbit". :angry:
My 9/3 list is all catalog stuff (except for Friends Season 2) so I pre-ordered them all online.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I ordered ROTLD from Deep Discount and probably will order any other Catalog on line, it's not worth all the gas and time to search. I Knew Earth Vs. Flying Saucers would be another problem so I already ordered. Even if the stores get these they get 1 copy. I Saw two copies of Teen wolf on the shelf yesterday at BB

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I always order all my catalog titles online, and I will preorder a major new title, and then when the ads are announced online about a week before the release date, if the B&M price is cheaper (i.e. LOTR) than the online price, I cancel the preorder and pick it up from the B&M. Its a little bit of effort, but in the end, I always get my movies on the day before or the day of release regardless if theyre catalog, or a new release.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Time After Time seemed to be off the B&M's radar altogether. Couldn't even find it at the estimable Laser Blazer in West L.A. and ended up ordering online along with Return of the Living Dead.

Jan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got Teen Wolf/TW2 at Best Buy, and they had already sold their 1 copy of Motel Hell/Drgd. :frowning:

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Circuit City is probably the worst place to find catalog titles. Surprisingly, I've found places like Wal-Mart and Target to be better places to find catalog titles.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Every week it seems there is a post here lamenting not being to find at least one high-profile catalog release.
I always say the same thing: pre-ordering is your friend.
I just can't believe that DVD-holics don't use the convenience of online ordering. Not only are you guaranteed a copy, but online is usually the best price for smaller catalog titles because these discs aren't advertised/saled priced at the B&Ms.
Here's my strategy:
About a month before release, I use www.dvdpricesearch.com to determine the best online price for my catalog titles. Usually it's a toss-up between DVD Empire and DeepDiscountDVD. Lately I've been using DVD Empire because of their Free-shipping on 4 discs deal--they have the fastest service and their site is awesome. I place my order but I don't order any new releases/big titles that I know the B&M's will heavily discount (such as LOTR or Grease).
I also check Costco.com's site often--they usually list the DVDs & prices they will have months in advance. It's a good way to figure out what I can buy locally versus ordering online. (Costco usually has the best prices on things except for the occasional BB blow-out deal.)
About a week before release I check the Bargains forum at DVD Talk-- usually there are posts weeks in advance listing the Best Buy & CC sale prices. That way I figure out if I need to cancel any pre-orders. Every once in a while a B&M will have an amazing deal (such as Pulp Fiction & Jackie Brown) which will cause me to cancel my pre-order. (DVD Empire's site is so easy- you can remove a title from your order with the click of a button.)
My pre-order titles usually arrive on Monday before street and then I take a quick trip to the B&M to fill in with any deals. And voila! I have all my movies and for the cheapest price to boot. Convenient & cheap and no driving around.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I think Best Buy has an amazing catalogue selection. The one in my neighborhood has an amazing horror section. In fact, the selection at this Best Buy easily bests the rental selections of ALL Blockbuster and Hollywood Video stores in the city of St. Louis and St. Louis county combined. And since St. Louis pretty much ONLY has BBVs and Hollywood stores, that says a lot.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
particularly "Motel Hell" and "Deranged"
Since I had ordered this online I decided to see how one of my local BB stores handled the release Tuesday. I was searching the Sci-Fi & Horror section when a Blue Shirt walked up & asked if I needed help. I said yes, that I was looking for the M-G-M double feature "Motel Hell" and "Deranged". So off to the computer we went. While he tried to find it in his computer listing he tried to convince me that it was not arriving until next week. After several minutes of searching he found it on the computer. ONE
copy is all that was listed. So back to the rack to look. He could not find it, so he went to the warehouse in the back to look. It was not to be found there either apparently. I left with an inner smile. I went back to BB yesterday & there on the rack was the ONE copy. This is why I buy 99% of my DVDs online, & only buy from B&Ms if their price is lower or if their price is the same as online & I don't wish to wait for the online purchase to be shipped. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks