CAT5... what HT stuff can I use it for?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Micheal, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I have a lot of CAT5 cable and was wondering what HT uses it has. If any...

Thanks,

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

3. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Thanks James. I know that's the way you went but I was wondering if it had any other HT values. Thanks for the great link! Do you think it's worth the effort?

Thanks

4. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I made a set of the bi-wired versions, as per Chris's recipe, for the front L/R. I believe it was well worth the effort. There was a subtle but real difference in my system. My equipment includes Anthem AVM 20, MCA 5, Studio 100v2. The main improvement was in the HF range, which had been a bit "bright" on some recordings.
    I am presently making a bi-wire run of this cable for my Studio CC.
    Give it a try. Since you already have the wire you have nothing to loose. I promise the blisters will heal [​IMG].

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

braiding the wires allows you to lower the inductance albeit at the expense of increased capacitance. it's a lot of work but then baseball playoffs haven't started and the football season is still early...now's the time!

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Actually I didn't do it Mike, I decided I'd wait, since I would have to buy the wire!
    Everyone else says it's worth it [​IMG]

7. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I might have quite a bit of extra wire that I could give you free of cost. All I ask for is a little guidance in making them. [​IMG]
    Send me an email if you wish...

8. Jeff AW

Jeff AW Stunt Coordinator

Here is what I built in the original configuration (First link), Since then, they have come up with 8 variations...
    Original: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html
    Variations: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_2_e.html
    I built (2) 25' sections and a 15' section. Talk about blisters and sweat...
    What was I rewarded with for my labor?? A pair of extremely detailed speaker cables with excellent highs and decent bass. For those that believe, they need some break in time. I've heard about 180 Hrs. For those of us who don't, they sounded great from the time I plugged them in.
    Was it worth it, in my humble opinion, yes! I am a DIYer so I jumped at the chance to make em...

9. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

10. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

The discussion on Audio Asylum suggests the Chris Venhaus recipe, requiring the removal of the casing and braiding of the twisted pairs, to be worth the extra effort. This is the recipe I followed and feel it is worth the effort. I cannot say if it is an improvement over the TNT recipe as I have not tried it, but I figured I would go with the consensus and the extra blisters.

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

You can use Cat5 to make any kind of cable... however, its performance varies. The most popular use is braided speaker cable (VenHaus)... for other applications (interconnects, power, etc) there are better kinds of cable for the job.