What's new

Cat-proofing speakers? (1 Viewer)

Wolvermass

Auditioning
Real Name
Samuel
My girlfriend and I will be moving in together soon and she has two cats. We're both concerned by the fabric covers of my home theater's speakers. Does anyone have any recommendations (short of buying new speakers!) about how I could cat proof them?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
4" wide masking tape. Cut into 2 ft strips, sticky side up to create a barrer around the speakers. It also helps to put a strip or two on top of the speakers to discourage kitty from perching on top of the towers.

You could always take the fabric covers off as well. :)

Hope this helps.

Claude Brault

Auditioning
There are also a variety of sprays out there that you may be able to use on your speakers that would discourage the cats from using them as scratching posts. Check with your vet.

Don Ing

Auditioning
If you give the cats something to claw they will leave the speakers alone. I have a scratching post right next to my very expensive speakers, and none of my 7 cats bothers the speakers at all. Personally I feel declawing is wrong, and so will you girlfriend, if they aren't declawed already. Seriously, my scratching post is literally inches from my speakers, and they never, repeat, NEVER claw my speakers. Good Kitty.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Well, that all depends. Cats (particularly young kittens) like to claw on just about everything that they're not allowed to, in my experience. I'd go with the spray idea personally.

De-clawing cats is evil. It takes away their natural defenses, especially if they go outdoors.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The problem with my cats and speakers was they wouldn't claw them, just "run up them" to get to the top of the TV. This did damage over time, so i just removed the grills.

CygnusX1

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave C
Contrary to popular belief, most cats are very smart and can be quickly trained. We trained our cat not to claw the rug by clapping very loudly and yelling a firm NO! About three times and she never does it anymore. We got her a post for hr to claw. She has never clawed anything else since. We have trained her in other areas as well. It's not hard. Be firm and they learn. Do not de-claw. It's just not a good thing.

Good luck. Try sticky tape and dicipline first. They learn very fast.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Just carefully explain that the big speaker is called a "woofer"

Hey, it might work.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks