Cat Problem - Urinates on everything!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Shannon, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I don't know if I could have put piss in the title... [ADMIN'S NOTE: No, you cannot.]

yeah, I've hada cat for about 6 years, and when I first got it, it was fine... but just recently, it's been pissing on everything. It's been pissing on couches, the carpet, and the works...

I know it's not a bladder control thing or urinary tract, because I put the cat in it's litterbox one day (to show it where the damn thing is), only to watch it walk to the other side of the room and take a piss on the carpet..

I'm not a cat person (deleted by admin), and seeing as I'm only 16, I've been begging my mother to get rid of it. She's finally reached the point where she can't put up with it any more either...

So I guess the question is, any solutions?

FINAL NOXIOUS STATEMENT DELETED BY ADMIN.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Is it pissing or spraying???
    I think male cats do this when they're feeling a little uh... anxious.
    The thing about spray is that it smells ten times worse than cat piss (which is the worst smell in my books as it is).

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I would definitely take the cat in to get checked out. Urinating out of the box can be a sign of UTI, bladder infection, or worse. My cat is currently on antibiotics for a bladder infection. He'll get in the box and try to go but can't... then he'll apparently lose control somewhere else in the house. It's frustrating, yes, but he can't help it.

Or your cat might be trying to make a statement. Cat's will piss if they're not happy about something like the addition or loss of another pet, or even rearanging the furniture might upset them.

But, I would bet your cat needs medical attention.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Like everyone else here, I would suggest that you take the cat to a vet.

Putting the cat in the box and watching it go elsewhere will proove nothing.

I had a similar problem with a cat I had. She peed everywhere. I used various & sundry products to get rid of the smell. I kept the litter-box clean. Tried both hooded & uncovered boxes. Tried all sorts of things...

Turns out she was sick, with bladder problems. I never would have guessed, as she SEEMED healthy.

Cats can hide illness very well, and usually do so.

Take kitty to the vet.

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Cats often do this sort of thing due to stress or tension.

Since it sounds like the cat is completely unwanted, it may very well be sensing this.

I suggest having him checked by a vet and then finding a good home for him where he will be loved.

I actually feel very, very sorry for the cat. [​IMG]

8. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Could be a kidney problem as well. My parents-in-law's cat was peeing all over the basement. The vet didn't diagnose it properly at first. A year later that cat was still peeing but they finally figured out what was wrong. Now, the cat is medicated and it stopped whizzing everywhere.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Aw, man! I saw someone's fuzzy little buddy lying beside the highway on the way home tonight. [​IMG]

I hope Shadow is feeling better.

10. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I can't help but think back to a recent post about a cat that pissed all over a brand new Sony ES receiver that was left on the floor inside it's unsealed box.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Buy a citrus based air freshener (I use Citra). Cats and dogs HATE the smell of citrus.

12. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

This is long- and i've only touched the surface...

In my personal experience, illness has never played a part in my cat doing this. He has been taken to the vet when it happens, and for his usual yearly checkup, etc. Unfortunately, he's healthy as an ox

My wife showers(no pun intended) him with affection, and I do not show what has become my disdain for him. I say 'has become my disdain' because over the course of 11 years, he has cost us a ton of money, aggravation, and embarrassment.

He has been on: Valium, Amytriptiline, Clomicalm(usually prescribed for dogs), Buspar, and one or two other meds that I can't recall. We have tried several non-drug therapies involving keeping him isolated in one part of the house. He could not get out of this area, but we constantly visited him over the course of several 4 week attempts. My wife, the true cat lover, made sure he never felt alone, even if he was isolated.

We tried something called Feliway. This is some hormonal spray that is supposed to make the cat feel comfortable that the house is his domain. Didn't do the trick.

Six months after having carpet installed in our HT, the cat decided to mark some territory. At first, I cut away the offending pieces and covered them with scatter rugs.
    Eventually, he outgunned us, and within a year of having commercial carpeting installed(ironically because it would wear better), we had to call and have it installed again. Easy- they already had our room measurements and carpet style on file.

I just sent a $500 chair to the curb this morning- he christened that a week ago, and all heroic attempts at cleaning/deodorizing, etc., were for naught. Years ago, a couch had been the victim.

Area and scatter rugs? 10-20 at least. Record albums? He got to a box and ruined about 50.

My wife had some pocketbooks stored in another area. He managed to nail every single one.

I spent an entire day scrubbing my basement floor, then painting all the concrete so when something else happens, and it ALWAYS does, at least it won't be absorbed too quickly.

Yet my wife refuses to get rid of this animal. He is currently in lockdown in the basement. I would like the chair to be the last straw. But I'm sure it won't.

By the way, my house smells great- I really have to keep after everything with this little scumbag in the house. As soon as it's hit, I replace it. His 2 litterboxes are cleaned daily- if there are not 3 evidences there, out comes the blacklight.

I have had even very ardent animal lovers tell me that they would not put up with this. I understand he does it for instinctual reasons we will never fully comprehend. But when should enough be enough?

13. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

i don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in but perhaps you have an outdoor cat[​IMG]:b

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm

Is he neutered?

15. James Edward

Yes

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There's some bad karma in this thread.

Some posts were lost in the database screw-up, but that's okay. When the original poster apologized for having vented his anti-feline rant, another member told him not to feel bad, that if he would run a search he will discover a pattern of the same people rising in defense of cats.

Now ask yourself for a moment why that might be? These same people wouldn't feel this need if not provoked.

Why do so many people feel free to say the most incorrigible things about cats but would never, ever utter anything negative about dogs? Why this prevalance of cats-as-disposable-commodities thinking?

Bashing dogs—why that's un-American and unthinkable. Bashing cats? Why, those furry little critters are stealthy, sneaky, and appeal to women more than men or what have you. Yep, there's something un-American about cats, yesiree.

Years ago, the Los Angeles Times reported on an atrocity somewhere in the Midwest. A retired couple had set up a shelter for abandoned cats; it became their full-time concern. While away one night, some of the local bubbas raided this home with baseball bats and clubbed many of the cats to death.

The police caught some of the perpetrators. One woman, whose bubba son was one of the monsters who had been caught, pleaded her spawn's "innocence." I'll never forget her words: "He is like any boy from around here—he hates cats. All he did was probably kick a cat."

Wow.

She was, in effect, condoning a barbarous, criminal act—justifying it on the basis that "real boys" from "around here" hate cats. Ain't it natural?

Here at HTF, we try not to offend people. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's at least the goal.

I'm not a "dog person." But I wouldn't enter into a dog-related thread and say, oh, "I think dogs are smelly." It's their thread, so why crash it?

At any rate, that's my thinking. I make no apologies for loving cats.

17. James Edward

I hope my commentary about my cat Max did not prompt your comment, Jack. We have done, and continue to do, all we can to keep our cat in our home.

If I had a dog that did this same amount of destruction, I'd write up the same post.

Max was brought in as a kitten and we already had a cat in the house. His awful behavior did not begin to manifest itself until he was about three years old.

Most people that simply say "I Hate Cats" have never had one. Over the course of 20 years we have had 3. Two were great. Max is just a bad seed. No bad karma here- just the facts.

18. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Jack, I sent you an e-mail about my earlier statements since it deals more with forum policy then this thread.

However with regards to

19. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have a cat with the same problem, but our problem isn't as bad as yours (if you search the "after hours lounge" posts you will find my thread on the subject). Our cat has one spot in our living room and a few spots in our basement where he likes to go. it was much worse last year. We almost gave up on him getting better and almost put him up for adoption, but we gave him a second chance and found out that he had a bad tooth. (Our first vet never knew!) When his tooth came out, he got better. Unfortunately, he still has his problem spots, but we are working on it. The cat urine carpet cleaners seem to help some, but leave a slight chemical smell, which is much better that the smell that was there before!!! Lately, our cats problem has become a little worse. We are getting him to the vet real soon to have him checked out!

Jack, I know that you have a soft spot for cats and its nice to know that there are many people out there who care for cats, but you have to realize that the tone you have taken in the "cat problem" threads may be doing more hurt than help. I got annoyed by the tone of your posts so much in my thread last year on the same subject that I started to care LESS about helping my cat. Luckily, many others were encouraging and it helped. I'm not sure if you have ever had a cat with an extreme urination problem, but some of us are allergic and just can't live with it, but putting someone down for getting frustrated with the problem is not helping the problem. I know you really care for cats. Please try to encourage those with the problems without the, for lack of better word, nastiness. You will be helping more people (and cats) in the future that way!!!

20. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

There is cruelty to-wards all creatures in the world. Go see how they treat dancing bears in parts of Asia. What makes one more worthy than the other?
    Regardless, this is hardly the thread to be discussing such matters.

Let's see if we can help rectify a problem that an owner is having with their cat. If this matter can't be dealt with please find a new (loving) home for your cat and be honest when you tell the new owners why you are getting rid of him. There will always be someone who will be willing to give your cat a fresh start. (Not the best answer but better than mistreating your cat)

Dog owner and proud of it. [​IMG]