What's new

Cat Problem - Graphic (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Our cat Tinsel has been having this problem lately, I will warn you it is cat box related.

Whenever she is done doing her business in the litterbox she runs out (not burying anything) and proceeds to drag her rear end on the carpet.

We really can't afford another false alarm Vet visit, so I was hoping someone might know what is wrong and might have a solution.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Tinsel might be having an irritation of the anal sacs. A vet can express these sacs or remove them if the problem persists. This problem, called "scooting", can also be a sign of any generalized irritation including worms, polyps, or irritation from diarrhea/constipation.

Sorry to say, but if Tinsel doesn't stop scooting a vet trip is probably in order.

(BTW, a cat can die from infected anal sacs.)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Julie is right. It's most likely an anal sac problem.

Jeff

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Whether she is or not, she is correct in this case. Please let us know how Tinsel is doing.

Ike

Screenwriter
Does the inflammation persist after the sacs have been "expressed"? I know my dog had the same problem, and the vet forced out some kind of liquid with a paper towel. Is this something the vet will have to do regularly?

Julie K

Screenwriter
My cat had an infected anal sac which had to be removed immediately. When the inflammation is due to some other factor the vet can just express them. However, the inflammation can return and it will be pretty much between you, your cat (or dog), and the vet whether or not to remove them.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what about if the cat only does it very rarely? i've seen one of my cats do it probably a handful of times (that i'm aware of) in about two years. i definitely wouldn't say it's a chronic problem though.
i figured the cat was just being lazy or something (dingleberries? :) ) ..she pretty much always go in the kitty litter box.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
My cat occasionally does this as well. I've noticed that when we feed her soft food, some of her excrement will remain on her anus and that's when she will scoot on the rug and use it as toilet paper. But if we only feed her hard food the problem usually goes away.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
*Sigh - Okay, I've got an appoinment with my doctor tomorrow. Thanks for bringing this up. I thought I was completely normal. :eek: :p)
Seriously Jeff, I hope the vet fixes your lil' critter up. It seems like something easily remedied provided you act on it upon first noticing it. Let us know what the vet says. :)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Jasen,
With a little bit of training you too can be taught the proper way of expressing. However, I must point out the only up side to doing it yourself is that you might save some money. I don't know who it is more unpleasent for the expressor or the expressee? :frowning:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Tinsel had her appointment last night and had to stay overnight for some blood tests and a urinalysis. She is now 14 years old so they decided to do a whole battery of blood tests to the tune of $215. They related her scooting issues as a matter of diet, here is the bizarre part.

Tinsel was eating canned soft food for the first 8 or so years of her life. The Vet recommended at that time that she be switched to hard food to keep her teeth clean and disease free. Since that time she has been eating hard food.

Last night the Vet recommended that we switch her to a low-carb diet which means back to canned food. Apparently new research has shown that because of the way cats chew hard food and lap soft food, there is no dental cleaning benefit to hard food. As a matter of fact it can get lodged in the back of their mouths and cause more serious tooth decay and gum disease.

I will be picking her up after they call with the test results this morning.

BTW: After seeing her get her temperature taken, I will not be personally expressing ANYTHING!!

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Animals also sometimes resort to this when they

have a current infestation of worms. So a parasitic

infestation of the bowels might also be investigated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks