What's new

Cat peed on my books (1 Viewer)

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
One of my cats peed on my books and the books stink of pee and they are also stained with pee. I put the books outside to dry and hopefully air out the urine smell. How do I get the smell and stain out?

Thanks, any help/advice would be appreciated!

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
I'm not sure how to get rid of the stains, but to remove the smell, you could try a cat urine cleaner available at pet stores.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
youll never lose the smell. cat piss is one of the hardest smells to rid of. Ewwww get new books, imagine smelling cat piss every time you opened your book.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
I think the cleaner solutions have enzymes that neutralize the cat urine. The difficulty with getting rid of the smell is that often the urine is soaked into carpet pads and walls, and it's next to impossible to reach those areas with the solutions. In books, you could turn page by page and clean them that way. I'm assuming that these are expensive books that you don't want to lose or replace.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone else get a sophomoric chuckle that this thread was started by Peter-PP. :laugh:

Sorry...back to helpful tips... :D

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Ha ha ha, yes I get the PP joke. Those are my initials, actually.

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid the books are all ruined. Most are hardcover nonfictions that I had been collecting for many years. Anyway, I'm going to put them in a box with moth balls and seal it tight and see what happens. I'm really pissed (get it?)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I would just throw the books out. Cat pee stays in stuff. I've had cats pee on clothes, and even after many washings the smell was there.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Get new books. As an owner of 5 cats there is nothing you can do. Cat piss is probably one of the most vile things ever!

Jeff

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ewwwww! Now they're gonna smell like cat pee AND moth balls! Double Ick! :D

Why not spray some bug spray in the box before you seal it up? :)

just kidding

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
While I've been successful at removing the smell of cat pee from carpet, books are a different story. Sorry, but I'd just toss 'em and buy new ones. Sucks, but I can't think of a way to get the smell (or stains) out of paper.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I don't think the moth balls will remove the smell. I think they'll only add to the smell and make things worse, and maybe even create a new disgusting smell.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Moth Balls aren't used to absorb odors (like baking soda does), they are basically condensed balls of bug spray. They are made of chemicals that kill moths. Most people think they are used to fight moisture (like silica), but I don't think that's true.

The only thing you're doing is masking the cat pee smell with the moth ball smell.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question210.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks